Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #91
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
A quick comparision of the sizes (650 v. T1):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comp.jpg
Views:	1984
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	75826

More height, less wide.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #92
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So far, it is a big disappointment.

1. I love Sony Reader aluminium body. It is one of the Sony Reader features that makes it superior to other flimsy plastic ebook readers.
2. I also like the reader's cover with hinges vs. new cover with plastic straps.

No upgrade for me this time. I had this feeling that my 650 would be like 505, i.e., a good model for many years before Sony makes another good one. I am afraid I guessed correctly.

They say that in every situation there is something positive. Saving money is the positive thing this time
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #93
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
When you order the K3 (Wifi only), by the time it arrives here in Holland you probably have paid €150.
No. The price you see at Amazon, at checkout is the price you pay. €135 is the price we paid for the K3. And yes, we had it shipped right here, to the Netherlands. (I don't live in Holland, sorry, try to stay away from there as much as I can, actually.)

But still, a €30 difference isn't too bad.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #94
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I agree. At least if the information on that website is authentic. My guessing was that the new Sony will come with a plastic front side (to make it cheaper) and WiFi. But I couldn’t imagine SONY will produce it with a glossy surface.
For me a no-go!

Additional to the problem of the visibility of dust und fingerprints this reflective surface could annoy while reading in sunlight. And I assume, the glossy plastic makes the reader more breakable. That’s at least my observation with those shiny and glossy materials.

WiFi is’t necessary in my case. What seems to be an advantage is the lasting time of the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I disagree. So I’ll be able stick with my PRS350 without the feeling to have something outdated.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #95
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Agreed. It is almost exactly the same as current models, except for the look ,wifi and pinch to zoom.

Though I did not expect anything more. Most black and white eink ereaders have hit a ceiling when it concerns features IMO. Theres not much more than can do to really improve them.

When color comes along that may change but by that point most people would probably just get a tablet if they want color.
A higher resolution screen is a compelling feature. 800x600 is just too low for PDFs. The 7" Sony reader had a high resolution screen but i was never a fan of the screen size and ratio. I thought Sony would up the resolution on the new 6" for sure, more so after the iRiver HD launched with a 6" 10024x600 screen. I'm very disappointed that Sony couldn't match that.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #96
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Even at US$169, Sony had better be bringing something more to the game than we've seen in those pics and specs. (No 350/950 followups? Are they collapsing the line to one model?)
Bear in mind that Kobo has been aggresively improving the firmware of the Kobo Touch (US$129) and Nook (US$139) has way better ergonomics and a stylus, too, plus it's hackable to get to the android underpinnings. Both have way better stores.

If this is all there is...
I'm one of the few who are less concerned about price than about build quality and features. I preordered my 950 from Sony at the full price without blinking an eye over the price.

But I agree that based on what is being described for the new Sony, I probably would buy the Nook Touch. The deciding factor for me would be the B&N bookstore.

If anything, I see this new Sony as being a lesser and smaller version of my 950. I think Sony needed to consider the 950 (disregarding the 7-inch size) as the gold standard and then had to create a new gold standard. But then I suspect that Sony was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Most negative comments about the Sony Readers focused on lack of wi-fi and price. Of course, I have no clue as to what it actually cost Sony to build each of the x50 devices, but considering that it has the weakest ebookstore of the Amazon-B&N-Kobo-Sony quartet, it wasn't in a position to take a loss on the device in hopes of making it up in ebookstore sales; the remaining triad could take this approach.

Consequently, I am not surprised that Sony moved to a plastic casing. But lowering price and adding wi-fi will not be enough, I suspect, to rally the consumer to the Sony brand of readers.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #97
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
And what do you suppose the odds are they upgraded the ADE so it'll read B&N ebooks without hacking?
Probably a gazillion to 1 against. That is the one feature that would beckon me but I would be mighty peeved if they did make such an upgrade but did not make it also available as a firmware upgrade to my 950. In that case, I might simply take my money and by the Nook Touch.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The new devices would need to have an at least partially plastic case because they now have WiFi. Radio signals don't go through metal cases.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #99
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And yes, we had it shipped right here, to the Netherlands. (I don't live in Holland, sorry, try to stay away from there as much as I can, actually.)

It is like saying you visited England for the summer, but were in fact in Glasgow (Scotland). Holland refers to provinces (2 if I remember properly, am I right Sweetpea ?) and the Netherlands is the country.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #100
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Disappointing. It appears that they're releasing a product that will compete with the other vendors year old products rather then leap frogging ahead.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #101
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am not so sure you could call it disappointing.

The next big step for e-ink would have to be colour and not washed out colour either, however I cannot see that coming for a while yet. Sony have just improved on their current range of ereaders, adding possibly a more responsive touch screen and wifi.

I doubt the rumoured Kindle 4 will be any different bar the addition of a touch screen.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #102
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Disappointing. It appears that they're releasing a product that will compete with the other vendors year old products rather then leap frogging ahead.
What other vendors year old products? The only one year old products they are competing with are their own. Until less than three months ago there really weren't any other pearl IR touch screen readers among the top contenders.

I'm kind of disappointed too, but mostly because I think from having really good looking devices, these look really ugly to me! That arced bottom... hate it!! I do hope it looks better when you're actually hold it and use it!
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
What other vendors year old products? The only one year old products they are competing with are their own. Until less than three months ago there really weren't any other pearl IR touch screen readers among the top contenders.
There still aren't for most of us. Sony's the only maker of IR/Pearl readers which sells world-wide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #104
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
A quick comparision of the sizes (650 v. T1):
Attachment 75826

More height, less wide.

A.
It's a touch screen. Why so much space on top and bottom.

The curved bottom will make it hard to prop it up on something.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #105
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There still aren't for most of us. Sony's the only maker of IR/Pearl readers which sells world-wide.
Exactly! And also it seems to me that many aren't aware that Sony had this technology way before Nook and Kobo did. It's NOT Sony imitating them, it's the other way around!

About looks and the comparison picture: Man, I wish that green color was an actual option! LOVE it! (But still LOVE the "old" red as well)
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs