Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
You know you're addicted to writing when....

I finished the first draft of my 4th Doc Vandal adventure at 1AM this morning.

When I got up this morning, first thing I did was start planning the next one.

Does anyone else do this, or am I addicted?
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I've never had it happen quite like that ... it doesn't usually wait that long.

I wrote something in my journal a long while ago: to write is to keep writing, to not write is to never write. That's the way it seems to work for me. When I finally manage to get a block of days where I can spend some time each day at it, then the addiction sets in and never seems to let up. If it's not the active project it's one of the others I'm keeping notes on, or a short; there seems always something pushing to be written. When it is going like this I have been known to get to bed and then turn around and get straight back up to write out some new thought. But when life calls me away for a block of days getting that momentum back again can be very difficult.

I figure I must be addicted because, when I'm not writing, I still wish for that feeling that drives me to get back out of bed to write some more.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've found with my series of novels that I begin planning the next one before I finish the current one. I already have some notes and a rough outline for the first novel that isn't part of the series that I'm writing the last few chapters for now. I got the idea for that between half and three-quarters of the way through this one. It seems to help to have something pulling me forward.

I don't think I'd say I'm addicted to writing, though. I'm a reluctant writer, and I have to commit myself to quasi-quotas to keep myself from slacking off too much. It's as much something that I feel I should do as something I want to do. I'll keep doing it, though. The emotional rewards are sufficient.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'd been thinking about the next one before I finished the last, but I didn't create the scrivener project until this morning.

Of course I also had two people asking for sequels to two other novels, too.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
toddhicks209
Enthusiast
toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You're not addicted. Good for you for moving ahead right away without worrying about it.
toddhicks209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I think I'm addicted to wishing I was writing...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:16 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I think I'm addicted to wishing I was writing...

Graham
Oh, man. Isn't it good to know you're not alone?

(Which, of course, made me think of the line from the movie Shadowlands: "We read to know we're not alone." William Nicholson.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote