Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Left-handed or Right-handed? Which are you?
Right handed 81 68.07%
Left handed 30 25.21%
Ambidextrous 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM   #16
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm really enjoying what I'm reading here. Interesting how people use their hands... I'm so strongly left-handed, I can't even watch TV with my right hand!
I do, however, use the mouse right-handed, and if cutting food, hold the fork in that hand, even when eating. But if I don't have the knife in my left hand, that's where the fork goes. I can only use chopsticks in my left hand, and can't even print with my right!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #17
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I'm ambidextrous, but left-hand dominant in general. For anything that involves fine motor skills and detail, I'm usually left-handed. For things that involve large muscle groups, I'm usually right-handed. I eat left-handed and play tennis right-handed (one-handed backhand). I pitched right-handed but could pitch left-handed - it was more accurate but a lot slower. Whenever I return to an activity after a long absence, I have to work out whether I'm right-handed or left-handed at it. Often I use my right hand simply because I'm following directions or a pattern written for a righty.

My brothers and I are all left-handed, but I am the only one of us who has become ambidextrous. I'm sure it's because I'm the oldest, and I grew up playing a lot of sports. I didn't have my own equipment yet, so I learned to play using the equipment (such as fielding gloves) that belonged to neighborhood kids and emulating their technique. I became right-footed when I started playing soccer. By the time my brothers were old enough to play sports, we had all sorts of left-handed equipment at home. By the way, both of my parents are right-handed.

When my youngest brother started to show left-hand dominance, my parents wondered if they were somehow doing something to make us left-handed. They experimented by trying to put things in his right hand, but he would have none of it - down to the floor everything went! I have an aunt and uncle who are both left-handed, and all three of their kids are right-handed.

After playing a lot of tennis for the last 20-odd years (after years of pitching and throwing), I'm afraid I've torn up my shoulder. I'm starting to think about "waking up" those left-handed arm and shoulder muscles to see what I can get out of them! What I wouldn't give to have been left-handed in tennis all along... All other things being equal, I would have won a lot more matches!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
A right-handed software developer here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
hold the fork in that hand, even when eating. But if I don't have the knife in my left hand, that's where the fork goes.
If I read this correctly, you have your fork in your right hand if you eat with knife and fork? And you have your fork your left hand if you only have a fork?

When I eat with knife and fork, the knife is in the right hand and the fork in the left (a well-spread table has the knife on the right hand side of the plate...). When I put the knife away, the fork goes to the right hand.

This is logical, as I am more dexterous with my right side. And if you eat with knife and fork (which I usually do), you only need to bring your fork to your mouth and you do the precision work with the knife (either cutting something, or shoveling some food on the fork). So, it would be logical you prefer to hold your fork in your right hand and your knife when you're holding that.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 AM   #19
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If I read this correctly, you have your fork in your right hand if you eat with knife and fork? And you have your fork your left hand if you only have a fork?
Yes, that is what I do. I can't control the knife well with my right hand, but I can 'usually' find my mouth with the fork... without stabbing myself in the cheek. But if I'm not holding the knife, I use my left hand for the fork. Living in Asia, I use chopsticks and spoons much more than forks, and they ALWAYS go in my left hand.

(To say I had a lot of trouble in India was putting it mildly... I almost gave up eating!)

Stitchawl
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Yes, that is what I do. I can't control the knife well with my right hand, but I can 'usually' find my mouth with the fork... without stabbing myself in the cheek. But if I'm not holding the knife, I use my left hand for the fork. Living in Asia, I use chopsticks and spoons much more than forks, and they ALWAYS go in my left hand.

(To say I had a lot of trouble in India was putting it mildly... I almost gave up eating!)

Stitchawl
Yes, I can only use chopsticks in my right hand too...

I wonder what a left-handed Indian would do... Learn to eat right handed very fast?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #21
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:

Stitchawl
Can't one eat using one's left hand to hold the utensil in public in India?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 AM   #22
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Can't one eat using one's left hand to hold the utensil in public in India?
In some parts of the world, the left hand is reserved for activities like cleaning oneself after visiting the toilet, and is never used for eating. Bringing your left hand to the table is taboo - especially in countries where communal bowls are the norm.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #23
cghipp
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Yes, I can only use chopsticks in my right hand too...

I wonder what a left-handed Indian would do... Learn to eat right handed very fast?
He would probably be forced into right-handedness from a very young age. It wasn't very long ago that this was common practice in the US.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #24
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm mostly right handed, but have always used the left handed version of foot placement when skateboarding, single water skiing, and snowboarding. I don't remember, but it may have been a lefty that taught me how to skateboard and I carried it over to the other sports.

I eat right handed using utensils, but use my left hand for snacking. I played ping pong left handed, but tennis right handed. I played guitar right handed and hit the ball horribly no matter which way I held a bat.

So, because I use my right hand to write, I guess I am right handed.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm right-handed, and work in IT, having once been a programmer. That's a bit creative, right?

I also try to write, and am 50,000 words into my novel. Daughter #1 is right-handed and is an actor and singer/songwriter, daughter #2 is left-handed and her only creativity is her love of music (listening to). Daughter #3 is right-handed and is quite the little artist. So I don't think we can typecast lefties and righties too much...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #26
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I do everything left-handed except cut with scissors and use a computer mouse. In both of the latter cases, I had to adapt to use my right hand because left-handed tools were not available to me at the time I was first learning the skills.

I had one teacher in elementary school who was quite old-fashioned, and didn't believe it was "proper" for children to write with their left hands. She tried to force me to write with my right hand instead of the left. Once my parents found out, they put a stop to it, but the teacher held a grudge for the rest of the school year. This was the same year in which we learned cursive. Now, all these years later, writing in cursive still makes me anxious. I print instead.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I do not know how to answer this poll because it depends on the task. I have a right handed mouse - cause they do not make left handed ones of the kind I use. I find myself drawing in "DrawSomething" with my left hand, but I tend to write with my right hand. I hold my phone in my left hand, and utensils move back and forth between hands as needed. I am right eye dominate, so I shoot righty, but I bowl left and play miniature golf lefty.

So I guess I just need a option for "confused." "D
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #28
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
So, because I use my right hand to write, I guess I am right handed.
Like with many other of our "features" it's difficult to draw the line between inherited and acquired and the writing hand may well go into the second group.
And although being a left-hander I would strongly encourage (but never force!) every left-handed kid to try it at least for one time to write with the right hand. Writing our left-to-right languages with the left hand looks soooo wrong!

Which brings me to another question. As this thread started with some statistics: does anyone know the percentage of left-handers in cultures that use right-to-left languages like in the Arab world? Is it higher than in the rest of the world?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #29
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am right handed although my left hand is faster. I am also left footed. You find out things like this when practicing the Martial Arts.
Both of my parents and my sister were/are right handed although my father did do somethings left handed. I think he was forced to become right handed as a child. My wife is extremely left handed. My son is ambidextrous and all of my nieces and nephews are left handed.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #30
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Which brings me to another question. As this thread started with some statistics: does anyone know the percentage of left-handers in cultures that use right-to-left languages like in the Arab world? Is it higher than in the rest of the world?

Definitely higher in Middle East countries... but only because they have a nasty habit of cutting off right hands for thieves...

Scientists seem to agree that the world average is 10%-15% lefties, with no real regional variation. However, due to cultural requirements, many lefties in different countries have learned to 'use' their right hands publicly for eating, writing, sports, etc. Add to that the 'stigma' associated with left-handedness, even in language; 'out in left field,' 'gauche,' ' two left feet,' 'sinister,' and/or the toilet requirements, often people in Middle Eastern and Third World countries will simply not 'admit' to being left handed.

Stitchawl