Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Lottery • August 2012

Help us select the work that the MR Literary Club will read for August 2012!

Lottery entrance will run until August 4th.

This month is a refresh on the lottery category - there’ve been many simplifying changes to make it clearer and easier, and some of the main changes are bolded below. We’ll see how it goes!

The category for this month is:

Lottery - A member is chosen by random to select the month's work

Here’s how it works:

Anyone may enter. If you want to enter, just post that you want to, it’s that simple.

The only people not eligible are posters who’ve won in the last year - so for this lottery beppe, Hamlet53 and issybird are ineligible.

Among those who enter, someone will be randomly chosen on August 4th, using a randomisation generator.

The winner may then post their selection for this month in this thread, and will have until August 6th to do so.

The only requirements for the selection are that it be literary and that it not have been the monthly selection of either book club yet.

That’s it, pretty simple. The only sort of confirmation on the monthly selection will come from the club runner (me). If a selection doesn’t meet the requirements, then the winner may make another selection until the 6th.

The discussion thread will begin shortly after a selection is confirmed. The lottery winner is not required to lead the discussion or anything like that.

If there is no confirmed selection by August 6th, then the five non-winning selections with the highest percentage of votes from previous months (excluding run-offs; ties broken by most recent month, ties in same month broken by first fully nominated) will be put to a short vote and the winner will be our selection.

What is literature for the purposes of this club? A superior work of lasting merit that enriches the mind. Often it is important, challenging, critically acclaimed. It may be from ancient times to today; it may be from anywhere in the world; it may be obscure or famous, short or long; it may be a story, a novel, a play, a poem, an essay or another written form. If you are unsure if a work would be considered literature, just ask!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

The floor is now open.

Entry is now closed. Here are the entrants:

fantasyfan
orlok
HomeInMyShoes

Refer to post 11 onwards for the results.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-04-2012 at 04:40 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll enter the lottery!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Me too.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm tempted. I'll throw my hat into the ring.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'll throw my hat into the ring.
Err...I think you're supposed to choose a book...
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
well, great, three already - I am running so much behind (haven't even started Middlemarch) that it would not make sense for me to enter. But I'll be watching this space, and hopefully August will give me some serious reading time!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Err...I think you're supposed to choose a book...
How do you know there's not a book in that hat?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
How do you know there's not a book in that hat?
Because there's a Cat in the Hat .
Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Can I have a special selection for orlok if I win?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'll be watching with paola from the sidelines, though I am now about 70% through Middlemarch, so I may be able to join in.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Entry is now closed.

I'll list the three entrants in the order they posted and use a random number generator to choose a number 1-3. The person associated with the corresponding number will be the winner.

Here's the entrants:

1) fantasyfan
2) orlok
3) HomeInMyShoes

Alright, good luck to you three - I'm off to generate the number!...
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The result is in! And the winner is (drumroll please)....

Spoiler:
"1" - fantasyfan

Congratulations! And thanks to all who joined in.

As the winner, it's now up to you to pick a selection for this month. If you have any questions, please refer to the first post, or just ask.

The floor is now yours!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Hmmmm...fantasyfan. Wonder what he will choose? Is there a clue in the name...?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Probably best I didn't win. I had at least five or six options and would have driven myself insane trying to pick one.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have a few possibilities in mind, and I'll probably post the choice tomorrow and Sun surfer can rule on it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote