Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #31
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Vox seemed a bit sluggish initially. I turned it off and then on again and things improved a whole lot.
The boot after the update sat on the Kobo screen with the 2 flashing pink and blue squares so long that I thought something had gone wrong. When running Google Maps it ended up freezing and I had to do a reboot. I think the Vox is marginal in horsepower for that app. It's the only one I've tried so far.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I've installed google.play. so far so good. Now there is yet another reader app on my VOX.

I've downloaded and tested 2 games for my kids, some alligator and water game and mazes. They both work well.

Now I just have to figure out how to find apps, as opposed to looking at all of them.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #33
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
Now I just have to figure out how to find apps, as opposed to looking at all of them.
Tap the magnifying glass at the top right and enter some keywords.

Other suggestions: if you find something that is close to what you want, but not quite what you want, look at the suggested apps on the information screen. If you find a developer that you like, the information screen will show you other apps that they have published.

Last edited by BWinmill; 06-14-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added more suggestions.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
My update only took 5 minutes, start to finish, and went without any hitches.
Wow! Mine took at least 20 minutes and a long time to install and reboot. I just checked the speed I'm getting and it's only about half what I get on my PC except for uploading.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #35
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I believe people ordering new devices were getting Play at the time it was announced--but the update was not coming down to us yet.
This update is build "GRJ22.eng.CAN.20120604.161216". That looks like June 4, ten days ago. Maybe the newest ones in the stores shipped in the last week have the update.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #36
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
This update is build "GRJ22.eng.CAN.20120604.161216". That looks like June 4, ten days ago. Maybe the newest ones in the stores shipped in the last week have the update.
Since you are forced to update the software the first time you turn on the unit, what they ship with is irrelevant.

[edit]: Sorry, didn't notice what you quoted...

Last edited by mr_nobody; 06-14-2012 at 07:20 PM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #37
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Since you are forced to update the software the first time you turn on the unit, what they ship with is irrelevant.

I think you have a choice to update later (or not at all). Say your battery was low and you didn't have good wifi, you could update later. Perhaps that's the wiser choice; read all the complaints before deciding if you want to update. I don't know what would happen if you put off updating until you saw an update that fixed everything and was bug-free. On my PC, I stayed with Firefox 3 for a long time before biting the bullet and updating to 12 because I was having too many problems. Now I update whenever there's a new version available.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #38
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
No force

Not forced to update at all. I have not updated since Nov. There is nothing, as far as I am concerned, worth messing with the setup I have.
I have custom start up sound, a few custom apps and bunch of side loaded books I do not wish to loose mysteriously.
The SOD might bring me out of hiding and then I would prey Jeff has an update to rooting..... if he is still here.
My Vox runs perfectly with no strange behaviour so no use messing with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post

GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #39
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Had SOD before and still have SOD after this update. But access to Google Play is nice. Battery life still sucks too. Oh well.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #40
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
My install seems to have worked ok. I never rooted the device but did install a variety of apps from GetJar and Goodreads. It's really nice to be able to official updates. I think we're good!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #41
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
It's just a normal firmware update? When I click "update now" in Firmware update it just says "Current firmware v18 is up to date. No update is needed".
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #42
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
working very nice for me

It was sluggish to start with, but this seemed to be the play store checking for updates, it added all my apps into google play and gave me updates for some of them
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #43
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Okay, I pretty clearly said "the first time you turn on the unit" (ie: out of the box) you do a forced update. I am well aware you can ignore subsequent updates...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #44
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Has anyone tried to download a movie yet on google play? I don't know if the battery
life is long enough to watch an entire movie.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #45
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by markT4 View Post
It's just a normal firmware update? When I click "update now" in Firmware update it just says "Current firmware v18 is up to date. No update is needed".
its not under firmware,you need to go to system update, my VOX is off right now and if I turn it on I'll never get anything done around the house

but if by the time I turn it one no one has given you better instructions I will try
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote