Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
The arrow that theducks is showing is different to the one that is showing in mine. Mine is a big grey arrow instead of a big green arrow. Mine also has different wording at the bottom that states to download with 7zip_setup.exe

Okay I have learned my lesson. I will try again tomorrow. Sorry for all the confusion.

Kwidude, can you tell me how I block the ads the same as you have done please?

Thanks

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post

Thanks

HB
To block adverts go to http://www.getfirefox.com and download and install Firefox. Then do a google search for Adblock Plus and install it. Adblock Plus is what keeps away the adverts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post
The arrow that theducks is showing is different to the one that is showing in mine. Mine is a big grey arrow instead of a big green arrow. Mine also has different wording at the bottom that states to download with 7zip_setup.exe

Okay I have learned my lesson. I will try again tomorrow. Sorry for all the confusion.

Thanks

HB
The Ad that shows may change from time to time.

If you got a load of real Malware (as opposed to just unwanted or unnecessary adware cr*p), then Kovid shoul file a complaint with his host.

I also use Firefox
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #34
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To block adverts go to http://www.getfirefox.com and download and install Firefox. Then do a google search for Adblock Plus and install it. Adblock Plus is what keeps away the adverts.
You could also use Chrome and install it's Adblock plugin.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If one of you can tell me what URL clicking the ad takes you to, then I will block ads from that website.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #36
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If one of you can tell me what URL clicking the ad takes you to, then I will block ads from that website.
Kovid,

this is the link that I am getting when I click on the ad.

http://do.wnloads.net/go/7zip?creati...-GB-160x600_v1

Thanks

HB
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Blocked.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #38
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Blocked.
Good job!

you will also all be pleased to know that I have now upgraded to the latest version of Calibre without a hitch

I haven't tried putting the plugin yet, but will do so tonight at some point.

The reason I use Internet Explorer is because I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition software to dictate everything on the screen rather than type it because it's three times faster than typing.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is user-friendly with Internet Explorer but not so with Firefox. That's why I use Internet Explorer.

I'm sure Internet Explorer also has the means somehow to block ads. It's just a matter of knowing where to look.

Thanks for all your support

HB
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #39
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
theDucks gave you the short answer. I will give you a longer version

There is a whole subforum dedicated to plugins - take a look at the sticky posts within it for more info.

In the Modify ePub plugin as theDucks mentioned above if you want to replace a cover use the "Update metadata" option, and you will also see there is an option up the top right of the plugin screen of "Add/replace metadata jacket". Note that the adding/inserting metadata jacket functionality should "always" work with this plugin regardless of the ePub, it is the replacing of covers using "Update metadata" that will sometimes not be able to work for the reasons I mentioned above.
Kiwidude,

I just wanted you to know that I now have the 'Modify ePub' plug-in sitting proud on the Calibre menu bar at the top of the screen. I now know exactly what you are talking about having the same screen as you showed in your earlier post.

I know there is a whole sub forum dedicated to plug-ins but I just wanted to know the answer to this question to make sure I'm right in my description and to save time.

To use the 'Update metadata' and/or the 'Add/replace metadata jacket' on one book only, am I to assume that the book you want to change using those options has to be highlighted first? Then the options checked will work on the highlighted book and that book alone. Is this correct?

If I've got this wrong, could you just explain how those options are implemented for the book you choose to change?

Thanks

HB
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #40
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You are correct, the plugin works on just the currently highlighted books.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #41
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes it will run in the background on whatever book(s) you have selected, in a similar way to conversions, metadata downloads etc.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #42
Heathside Boy
HB

Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You could also use Chrome and install it's Adblock plugin.
But Chrome is not nearly as good as Firefox.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #44
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I would argue if you work with ePubs the plugin is the more "economical" way,
Sorry for being a bit thick.

Now I have the 'Modify ePub' plug-in, I want to know how to use it for my purpose. I clicked on it for one particular book that was highlighted. I checked the 'Add/replace metadata jacket' and the 'Update metadata (including cover)' boxes. Then I clicked 'OK.'

This brought up a little window that said 'Modify ePub modified 1 ePub files(s). Proceed with updating your library.' Then I had a choice of 'Yes,' 'No' or 'View log.' If I chose 'Yes,' then what does this let me do next? What does it mean?

Does this now allow me to add a new cover on the first page of the e-book viewer as well as let me add a cover to the library view via the Metadata? Can anybody give me a step-by-step instruction on how to use this facility due to my confusion written above?

Thanks

HB
Old 04-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #45
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You did all the right steps until the end... just click "Yes" and it will replace the ePub in your library with the epub it has now modified. Once you do that then if you want you can open it in the calibre viewer as you normally do to verify the metadata jacket is in there (it will be) and whether the cover has been replaced (it might have).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote