Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
Carroll, Lewis: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. v1. 03 Mar 2011

I am posting this classic - in my opinion a Fantasy full of humour, not only for children - after unsuccessfully searching for an good free epub version with the Tenniel illustrations.
The best in that line appears to be found at the Adelaide University, but the images are of rather poor quality, beside other drawbacks.

This version has been made (thanks to Calibre and Sigil) from:
  • the basic text at Project Gutemberg (italics put back)
  • plus the poems from Wikipedia
  • plus the Tenniel illustrations from the Italian translation at Project Gutemberg (the only one with them )
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	67706  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll.epub (1.49 MB, 1056 views)
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenchu View Post
I am posting this classic - in my opinion a Fantasy full of humour, not only for children - after unsuccessfully searching for an good free epub version with the Tenniel illustrations.
You mean like this one?

Note that it is reasonably proofread and corrected, and the illustrations are scanned and cleaned (you can find higher quality scans here).

And, of course, "Through the Looking-Glass" is here, and you might like "Sylvie and Bruno" too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why didn't it show when I searched the Forum for 'Carrol, Lewis'?
The version is certainly good, and would have saved me a good deal of work.
However, mine is lighter (~1.5MB to ~6MB) and the illustrations are equally or (matter of taste) even slightly better. I have noticed that making .jpg files black-and-white doesn't made them smaller than greyscale, as a rule: ???
Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why didn't it show when I searched the Forum for 'Carrol, Lewis'?
Did you search it with quotes? It seems to work better without them, and without comma. Just searching this forum for "Carroll" works fine.

Quote:
The version is certainly good, and would have saved me a good deal of work.
However, mine is lighter (~1.5MB to ~6MB) and the illustrations are equally or (matter of taste) even slightly better. I have noticed that making .jpg files black-and-white doesn't made them smaller than greyscale, as a rule: ???
The illustrations in your version are smaller (about half size), but they have somewhat finer traces. They are probably from a better source (the paper quality of mine is not very good).

I'm not sure a JPG can be black-and-white, I think they can't be indexed-colour. I've only seen them RGB or grayscale. I'd guess a true grayscale image would not be larger if encoded as RGB, but an "almost" grayscale image can be reduced if it's encoded as grayscale, and all colour information is thrown away. For the record, your images are reportes as RGB by Gimp.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
carmenchu
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The illustrations in your version are smaller (about half size), but they have somewhat finer traces. They are probably from a better source (the paper quality of mine is not very good).
They are the originals from the Italian translation, and came in those sizes.
However, the ones in "Looking Glass" (Internet Archive) were originally
  • larger
  • full color: i.e.: buff (old paper) background

Quote:
I'm not sure a JPG can be black-and-white, I think they can't be indexed-colour. I've only seen them RGB or grayscale. I'd guess a true grayscale image would not be larger if encoded as RGB, but an "almost" grayscale image can be reduced if it's encoded as grayscale, and all colour information is thrown away. For the record, your images are reportes as RGB by Gimp.
Well, as to this:
I have noticed that it is with images as with fonts: not so much a matter of sheer size as of resolution. For instance: the last time I noticed a lost of sight, I changed the fonts to Clear Type ... and reduced them from Large to Medium. Still with them, so far. Equally, I find a good gray-scale small image not only more agreable and informative than a large B&W one, but it
  • fits nicely into Calibre viewer at the size comfortable for reading text without eye/neck strain;
  • takes a quarter of the size.
For instance: after downloading "Sylvie and Bruno" (some 18MB) I did a "tweak epub" and batch conversion through IrfanView, keeping names but *to gray-scale, *largest dimension, 500 px. The result, to my taste, is just beautiful: there it sits, in my Calibre, 4.3MB, waiting for leisure and mood...
IrfanView, by the way, reports those pictures at 8BPP - unless and until I begin to fool around with them - then they go back to 24BPP (full color) until I re-convert them to gray-scale (8BPP) or B&W (1BPP).
What .jpg doesn't support (as reported by IrfanView) is color-reduction - as do .gif and .png
I hardly ever use my X-Gimp, and am not very familiar with its workings: IrfanView is small, simple to use, and with exceedingly handy batch modes, both from GUI and command-line...
Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
For instance: after downloading "Sylvie and Bruno" (some 18MB) I did a "tweak epub" and batch conversion through IrfanView, keeping names but *to gray-scale, *largest dimension, 500 px. The result, to my taste, is just beautiful
Ah, but the pictures are already grayscale, it's just that the grays appear almost only at the edges of the black lines, since the original illustrations are only black ink on white paper.

You are welcome to resize the images if it works better for you. I preferred to include them at a larger size/resolution, hoping that some day they will be used with larger screens or devices with better resolution, and to allow zooming the images where possible.

Note that, when you resize all images to a fixed maximum size, you are losing the relative proportion between images. It might be better to resize to a given percentage of the original size.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
carmenchu
Groupie

Quote:
Note that, when you resize all images to a fixed maximum size, you are losing the relative proportion between images. It might be better to resize to a given percentage of the original size.
Yes - but only in part, if you disallow (as I did) the enlargement of small images. Doing it the other way, one may end with reduced small images, when all my notion was:
  • to fit large images to screen (no scrolling to view them),
  • to reduce loading time.
And, of course, De gustibus et coloribus, nihil disputandum esse...
Anyway, I am always grateful for books without hard-coded image-dimensions - one can always tweak them for smaller images or substitute them with other (large-better) editions without having to delve into the css/html code.