Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
kindle87
kindle87 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
First recipe: how to automatically add cover and filter out videos from RSS

Hi, I'm completely new to writing recipes and would much appreciate any help with the following:

1) Is there a course in writing calibre recipes for beginners?
2) How do I automatically add a cover to a book downloaded via a recipe?
3) Is there a way to filter out posts with videos from an RSS I'm using for my recipe?

NB Sorry if I've missed an existing thread on the issues mentioned here, please direct me to one if you know any.

Many thanks
kindle87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/news.html is the closest

2. Set cover_url in the recipe to point to the location of the cover image

3. If the video articles have a recognizable URL (i.e. is they have something like /video/ in them you can implement the print_version() method in your recipe and return None for the URL. Otherwise implement preprocess_soup() in your recipe, look for the video tag and call self.abort_article() when detected.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
bobbysteel
Big Poppa
bobbysteel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle87 View Post
Hi, I'm completely new to writing recipes and would much appreciate any help with the following:

1) Is there a course in writing calibre recipes for beginners?
2) How do I automatically add a cover to a book downloaded via a recipe?
3) Is there a way to filter out posts with videos from an RSS I'm using for my recipe?

NB Sorry if I've missed an existing thread on the issues mentioned here, please direct me to one if you know any.

Many thanks
The best way to learn is look at well used and highly maintained recipes like the NY Times, Economist and see how they do it.
https://calibre-ebook.com/dynamic/recipe-usage

(though @Kovid, what is #3?)
bobbysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@bobbysteel: See for example the handelsblatt recipe
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, recipe, rss, video