Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 04:05 AM   #16
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC-Caron View Post
Also thanks for pointing-out the e-book tools Word plug-in. Everything works but the generate epub button (could this be due to a 32/64-bit software conflict?).
Nope, it should work with 32- and 64-bit. Can you sent me a PM or post a message in the add-in thread about this? I would like to know what goes wrong/doesn't work so I can fix it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:12 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
When I tried to convert a docx document to epub & kepub today in Calibre some weird things happened (when viewed via the Caliber ebook viewer):

1) Sub-headings that I wanted to be within a chapter had a page-break applied to them despite this not being the case in Word.

2) Some fonts appear in their italic form where in Word the font was in its regular mode.

3) With some fonts the space before an bolded or italicised word disappeared so I had two words stuck together.

4) With some fonts bolded and italicised words appear in their regular form.

I have looked at the outputted epub files in the Calibre epub editor, and was able to figure-out how to fix issue 1, but am at a loss for the other issues at this point. I tried applying the bold tags to words what should of been bolded but weren't, but those tags didn't take. And I did not see anything that would allow me to correct the wrongly italicised fonts.

Any advice that can be provided will be appreciated.
Ad 1: You probably indicated a split was required before those type of headings. In general it is usually best to split the file before each chapter.

Ad 2-4: This is probably a result of the conversion. It is not unknown side-effect that sometimes occurs with certain documents if you convert DOCX to (X)HTML, depending on the method. In the method I use for the add-in I have taken some measures to work around that.
Anyway, you should be able to fix it with normal tags of styles. That being said, Hitch is also correct. If you use a font and want to have bold/italic, you need to not only have the regular type of the font, but also the bolt, italic and bolditalic version of the same font. Otherwise it cannot be displayed.
I know, you can in Word. But those are usually not real italic or bold, except when those font files are present. If not, they will be emulated to look bold or italic. That is not possible for web and should not be done anyway.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Anyone care to expand on the use of the !important tag in epubs/kepubs? Thanks.
!important in the ePub reader only overrides the style in the specific class it is used in, but in the KePub reader it also overrides the style in its subclasses.

As an example:
Code:
body { line-height: 1.1 !important; }
In the KePub reader this will override the line-height in subclasses of body such as body.calibre, but not in the ePub reader.

This becomes a problem when converting books with Calibre, because if there is a style like this in the original book:
Code:
body { line-height: 1.2; }

<body>
the converted book will be changed by Calibre to:
Code:
.calibre { line-height: 1.2; }

<body class="calibre">
and so when the ePub reader tries to override the line-height with !important, it will no longer have any effect in the converted book, although it worked correctly in the original book.However the KePub reader will still be able to override the style.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #19
SJC-Caron
Enthusiast
SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.SJC-Caron can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Boyue Likebook (T103D) Mimas
@Toxaris
I suspect that you are right RE: why bolded text in Word is not bolded after epub conversion (this issue is mainly occurring with my preferred scrip/handwriting font that I believe only came in the regular version when installed). As for the page-break issue, in Word I had a page-break before each main-heading, page-breaks were not applied to sub-headings.

@Everyone:
Thanks for your advice and continued patience with a non-programmer perfectionist trying to do a task that seams to rely heavily on having some coding skills.
SJC-Caron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, docx to epub/kepub, formatting, non-technical how-to