Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #301
Ralph Sir Edward
Gentleman & Cynic
Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, CYbook 3rd gen awaiting RTF software upgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I was in the mainframe worlds decades ago, and am aware of practices. But that question was posed to Katsunami, not you, so it's not clear why you answered it.
______
Dennis
Sorry, read the quote wrong. My apologies.
Ralph Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #302
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The data is in a sealed silo, thousands of kilometers from where I am. I'd have to get a pass from God to get in. The mainframe world has security like Cheyenne Mountain used to have.
One of the banks I worked for in the 1970s had a data centre that looked like a wheat silo cluster. The silo-like structures housed the ancillary kit (MG sets, cooling towers etc) and a few offices. The car park was under the silos, the computers, disk farms etc were under the car park.

FWIW I read somewhere that Git has been ported Z/OS.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #303
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Glo HD, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Load and source are separate in the mainframe world. it's a compiled world, not interactive.

The load was restored. But the now <bad> source was still in the source lib, as a "land mine" for the next person who changed the program. . .
I'm fully aware of the mainframe environment; SPROG for many year

And by load library I was referring to the PDS referenced in the JOBLIB or STEPLIB

Last edited by PeterT; 04-20-2018 at 08:21 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #304
Ralph Sir Edward
Gentleman & Cynic
Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ralph Sir Edward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, CYbook 3rd gen awaiting RTF software upgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm fully aware of the mainframe environment; SPROG for many year

And by load library I was referring to the PDS referenced in the JOBLIB or STEPLIB
Restoring the load lib gets you by the problem, until somebody decides to add a change to the program. Then they take the existing source and add their changes to it. If the source still has the changes that were pulled out by using the old load (but not removed from the source), then those changes will get re-added again causing the same problem again. And that could be by somebody else, a year or two down the road. . . .
Ralph Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #305
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Glo HD, Touch, Tolino EPOS
However a recompilation of the program as a backout means is not strictly a backout of the change as you are on effect making another change. I'm certain iny time a backout of a failed change was a restoration not a recompilation
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #306
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Glad to hear you got is sorted, but since I assume the backup drive is on your premises, under your control, why did you feel the need to encrypt it? Under what circumstances might someone else get access to it and read it?
I just want the drives and the laptops unreadable by anyone else even if they are lost or stolen. Getting the drive stolen wouldn't happen too quickly with my main or second backup drives, but the off site backup drive is at my girlfriend's place. She basically only has a wooden front door with a very simple lock. If someone would want to, it'd be easy to watch until she's out, get into the house, and steal whatever you want.

And, I like all my computers set up the same, so they have the same hard drive setup (same sizes as well, where possible), and they're all encrypted. The only one to encrypt is my own desktop (which I've basically neglected to do, to be honest).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote