Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-07-2024, 06:31 PM   #31
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Building Sigil on (old) Kubuntu 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur)

First of all, Thanks to you developers for all the work you do.
I have one comment related to building Sigil on Kubuntu 23.10, which still uses Qt 5.15.10, and might apply to the next version of Kubuntu shortly to be released, 24.04, and then another question requesting your advice. So here goes:

My system is Kubuntu 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur) and the system installed Qt is 5.15.10 as specified above.

When building Sigil 2.1.0, following the instructions in ~/sigil-2.1.0/docs/Building_on_Linux_older.md, as I always do, I executed the instructions to install the required and optional system dependencies. All required and optional packages had already been installed.
However, cmake failed because libqt5svg-dev was not installed. After I installed it, everything worked as expected. So maybe that package should also be listed in the instructions.

Second question: Given that the next upgrade of (K)ubuntu to 24.04, which is a long term support release, still seems to include Qt 5.15.x as far as I know (only looking at pre-Beta builds, but no hint that the final release will be 6.x that I can see), would you recommend going ahead and installing Qt6x, (which is in the repositories now), or just waiting until it finally shows up in the distribution?

Thanks again for your work!
Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:28 PM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
However, cmake failed because libqt5svg-dev was not installed. After I installed it, everything worked as expected. So maybe that package should also be listed in the instructions.
Yes QtSvg was a very recent addition as a requirement for Sigil. You are right we should add it to the build docs.

Quote:
Second question: Given that the next upgrade of (K)ubuntu to 24.04, which is a long term support release, still seems to include Qt 5.15.x as far as I know (only looking at pre-Beta builds, but no hint that the final release will be 6.x that I can see), would you recommend going ahead and installing Qt6x, (which is in the repositories now), or just waiting until it finally shows up in the distribution?
I personally recommend going with Qt6 if at all possible. As Q5.15 is quite old and fixes are being delayed for over a year, and support for new platforms will not be backported to Qt5.15 anymore.

In addition, I no longer make Qt5 based releases, so it is not tested as much as Qt6 releases.

We think Qt 6.6.2 or Qt 6.6.3 are really quite stable. So if they are available to you, I would go that way.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 08:42 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Also note in our sticky post in July of last year: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355274

Quote:
We understand that this change may leave users of older Linux, Mac, and Windows machines behind. So we plan to keep the Sigil and PageEdit source code buildable using Qt5 on older platforms for at least the next year, but leave producing those release binaries up to interested parties.
That one year window is quickly closing. We're obviously not going purposely break Qt5 compatibility come July (and we'll try to fix any simple oversights that accidentally break building with qt5 if we can). But make no mistake: there will come a day when keeping the latest tagged versions of Sigil/PageEdit's code base compatible with both Qt5 and Qt6 will be more trouble than it's worth.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:51 PM   #34
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I personally recommend going with Qt6 if at all possible. As Q5.15 is quite old and fixes are being delayed for over a year, and support for new platforms will not be backported to Qt5.15 anymore.
Thanks, KevinH and DiapDealer, for your advice and encouragement. It was an interesting challenge figuring out all the bits and pieces of Qt6 that were needed to keep cmake happy, but I now have both Sigil and PageEdit up and running on Qt 6.4.2, not to mention a new skill: reading between the lines of cmake's error messages (which are very helpful, don't get me wrong).

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:56 PM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Glad to hear you have it working!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote