Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Looks like he's going to lose $120
Old 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Legally, I recommend contacting the police with the guy's information. As you just received stolen property it's the best way to avoid trouble. If you don't contact the police, and the craigslist seller points them in your direction when he gets a visit from the cops, you could get charged with the misdemeanor.

Morally, this is someone else's kindle that was stolen from them. Amazon did not replace it, and now they don't have a kindle. Your "seller" stole a kindle AND your $120.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #18
kermalou
kermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3
I know the moral dilemna. Thanks for the refresher. It was brand new in box and the box wasn't even opened.

I wanted to save $20 and wanted the thing today. I am out $120 at the moment since this guy won't pickup. Amazon probably wouldn't touch it with a 18 foot pole.

Now do I have to register this thing?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #19
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Whatever else you do, report the seller immediately to eBay for selling stolen goods.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Whatever else you do, report the seller immediately to eBay for selling stolen goods.
Going back to the thread title:
"So I bought a blacklisted Kindle off Craigslist"

That would be Craigslist, and I'm sure the email he used to sell it is one of a hundred throwaway ones....
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
I wanted to save $20 and wanted the thing today. I am out $120 at the moment since this guy won't pickup. Amazon probably wouldn't touch it with a 18 foot pole.
I'd say you got a cheap lesson in free lunches, patience, and too good to be true. Why would someone sell a NIB kindle when they could just return it to Amazon for full price? It's been out for less than a month!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
Will2010
Will2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmwpsu View Post
I'd say you got a cheap lesson in free lunches, patience, and too good to be true. Why would someone sell a NIB kindle when they could just return it to Amazon for full price? It's been out for less than a month!
Exactly.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thumbs down

Quote:
Saw on craigslist yesterday some guy selling a Kindle 3 for $120 new in box yesterday, met up with him last night and bought the sucker.

Went into the website to register it and it wouldn't register, told me to call in to support.

I called in this morning and after being put on hold and transferred a couple of times, the rep came back and said that this serial # has been blacklisted and reported as lost/stolen.

I gotta return the thing to the seller or have him contact amazon to get this thing off the blacklist.

I'm trying to get a hold of the guy but he isn't picking up my calls at the moment and after reading around here a bit was wondering,

Do I have to register? I can get books from other stores and load it up.

I see that there is a registration hack for the K2, so thinking that if it gets released for the K3 I can add collections later.

I am just thinking of the worst case scenario if this guy turns out to be scum.
I have zero pitty for you dude. I suspect you knew it was a shady deal from the start, and if you didn't then you should have. Like the comedian Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid!"

In my state knowingly keeping stolen property is a crime. I hope it is your location too. Do the right thing and send the da*n Kindle back to Amazon. If you don't, I hope Amazon turns it over to your local police.

I personally think the moderators should ban you from this site!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmwpsu View Post
I can think of at least one good reason. Buddy got it as a gift and doesn't want it.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #25
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
You can't Amazon it's blocked on the Kindles hardware\software by now, The only way of registering it would be by Amazon them selfs.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #26
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I can think of at least one good reason. Buddy got it as a gift and doesn't want it.
Could be...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...cipientreturns

Storytime: a few months ago I tried to buy a used Sprint smartphone off Craigslist for a ridiculously good price. I was nervous that the deal was too good to be true and locked my keys in my car at the meet up spot. While waiting for the locksmith, I called in the serial number I was given for the phone and found out that it was blacklisted due to an unpaid account. The seller never showed up and the $40 I was going to use for the phone went to the locksmith instead. I went on my merry way with a brand new $40 clue.

Last edited by dougmwpsu; 09-23-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #27
Will2010
Will2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I know the moral dilemna. Thanks for the refresher. It was brand new in box and the box wasn't even opened.
Giant clue right there. Why wouldn't a legitimate buyer simply return it for a refund if it's still in the box, unopened? Amazon would have accepted it from the original purchaser (if purchased from Amazon) with no questions asked if still within the 30-day return period.

Because he isn't a legitimate buyer, that's why. You got scammed by a thief.

Quote:
Patience is a virtue, don't cut corners, and there's no such thing as a free lunch. You've heard it all before. Keep it in mind next such a "deal" presents itself.

I suspect Amazon most certainly would touch it with a 10 or even 18-foot pole. Depending on the circumstances of its being reported stolen, I'm betting Amazon sent a replacement to the original, legitimate purchaser and either absorbed the loss, or filed a claim with the package carrier. If Amazon took the loss, then returning it to Amazon would be welcome, and they can resell it as refurbished and at least recoup most of their loss.

Quote:
If you're asking a technical question, the answer is probably not. Once enough hacks for the K3 are readily available, it's probably possible to hack it to work as a .mobi reader. You just won't be able to buy or download any legitimate books from Amazon. You will likely be able to place compatible free books from Project Gutenberg on it, once hacked. Then again, maybe not.

At any rate, your technical question is the wrong question to ask, as you already realize. The sting of your $120 loss is tough, but as the previous poster said, it's a cheap lesson in the long run. You know what you should do.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #28
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I have zero pitty for you dude. I suspect you knew it was a shady deal from the start, and if you didn't then you should have. Like the comedian Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid!"

In my state knowingly keeping stolen property is a crime. I hope it is your location too. Do the right thing and send the da*n Kindle back to Amazon. If you don't, I hope Amazon turns it over to your local police.

I personally think the moderators should ban you from this site!
Give me a break. Going to step off your soap box now?

Ya, the guy probably should have known better, but at the same time, the sale could have just as easily been legit. Has nothing to do with being stupid.

Now that he knows it is stolen, sure he has a decision to make. Because it might not be the decision (and isn't it easy to make the right decision when you're not the one out $120) you'd make, you think he should be banned!?

If everyone who has ever done something wrong or made a dumb mistake in their lives were banned from this site, there would be no members - present company included.

Let me guess, every moral dilemma life has thrown at you, you've passed with flying colors, right?

Last edited by foghat; 09-23-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2010 View Post
If you're asking a technical question, the answer is probably not. Once enough hacks for the K3 are readily available, it's probably possible to hack it to work as a .mobi reader.
It will work as a Mobi reader without being hacked but, as has been said, that's not really the important question here. I would agree that the original poster should unfortunately regard this as a lesson in life and contact the police immediately to report the Kindle as stolen property.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Yeah, talk to amazon about it. I suppose you could report it to the police as well, but I don't see them putting out an APB and deploying the helicopters for $120. Hopefully amazon will do something for you.
Closed Thread