Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Onyx Boox Max2 Issues

now that many of us are receiving our Onyx Boox Max2, please post any software and hardware issues you are running into here. hopefully this dedicated thread will help other owners solve issues.

-------

i just received the Max2 yesterday, so far first impressions are the build quality feels alot better than my n96. also the speed improvements feels very good.

here are the current issues i am running into:

1) the first issue i have is the poor battery life as mentioned in the previous youtube videos -- the device runs like an android tablet with wifi connected (battery hit 50% after some usage and alot of idling within the span of 8 hrs).

i am hoping the firmware update will solve this, so this is an issue, but i do work around it by powering off the device.

2) another issue i am seeing is with the Google Play Store — i am seeing the apps I previously purchased with a price on it, instead of the usual install button? also i can't seem to do any in app purchases.

i have never seen this before in an android device, i tried to update the play store to the latest by sideloading but I get "app cannot be installed" message.

i did notice Google Play Services is not installed, which might be the root cause of the weird issues with Play Store, but the bad news is when i try to install Play Services off of Play Store im getting an error msg..

IMO this is a major issue if the Google Play Store doesn't work correctly -- you are unable to install ALL Android apps that you paid for in the past. ironically you can install the free versions just fine, but as mentioned above, you won't be able to claim your paid purchases without a working Play Store

EDIT: this issue is now fixed with the latest OTA update

3) one other weird software issue I'm seeing: when I pressed the library button (first button on bottom left at home screen), it imported 331 PDFs that are password protected, starting from page0.pdf.

this is a new device and i haven’t transferred any PDFs to it. i have no idea what these docs are and how to get rid of them.

i am a normal ereader user and just need the basics to work, primarily Android apps and battery life

Last edited by oranges; 01-06-2018 at 12:37 PM.
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

regarding the Google Play Services issue, it looks like 2 weeks ago another customer had this issue and commented about it on Booxtor's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCnPMKvXWas

from Orb Reborn:

"So I downloaded 1.33 version of factory tool again and succeeded to install the firmware. However, still the app (google play services) was impossible to be installed. Just for the information, before I wrote the problem, mine had already had the factory installed "google play store" and it had been working flawlessly. I just wanted to additionally install "google play services" for google drive, google docs, and other google apps which had required "google play services" for full function."

he also comments about a wifi issue (i haven't confirmed this yet):

"And there is some problem about wifi connection, too. If I put the device into the sleep mode with wifi connection turned on, the wifi is automatically turned off and it is impossible to turn on wifi again when I wake it up several minutes later, unless rebooting it. Maybe it's because of malfunctioning of power management program. I've tried fiddling with settings to no avail. :-(

Now, I'm waiting for an official update scheduled in a few days, according to an Onyx associate, which will add the double page reading mode finally!"
Old 01-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Concerning installation of Play Services it will be fixed very soon. Tomorrow I am going to test the fixed version and afterwards you can update your device using OTA from our cloud (in settings ->about->update).

I have reported this issue with Play Services two weeks ago, but we didn't have enough time to provide fixes immediately because production and delivery already has started.

We also are working on other improvements, so please don't worry, if you see some polishing of the software is needed. We are going polish it to you complete satisfaction.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Not an issue per se, but I don't know where to ask and don't particularly want to open a new thread.

I have a rather large document that is in the form of a number of JavaScript files, and also various images; there are . On my desktop or laptop computers, I have the files copied somewhere, and I can access them fom my Web browser.

I tried the same setup on the Onyx Max 2, and it works only partially. The first page will load, but then trying to follow links inside the set of files seems to take forever, and sometimes seems to not work at all.

Is there an issue with JavaScript support on the default browser? are there alternative browsers I might want to try? (I have zero familiarity with Android software - this is my only device running it)
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
oranges
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Concerning installation of Play Services it will be fixed very soon. Tomorrow I am going to test the fixed version and afterwards you can update your device using OTA from our cloud (in settings ->about->update).

I have reported this issue with Play Services two weeks ago, but we didn't have enough time to provide fixes immediately because production and delivery already has started.

We also are working on other improvements, so please don't worry, if you see some polishing of the software is needed. We are going polish it to you complete satisfaction.
thanks for the update, this is good news regarding Play Services.

do you know if this is the main issue with not being able to install paid / in-app purchases? has any other owner been able to install previously purchased apps just fine?

please keep us updated booxtor, i will wait till the OTA is ready before using the device again
Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
thanks for the update, this is good news regarding Play Services.

do you know if this is the main issue with not being able to install paid / in-app purchases? has any other owner been able to install previously purchased apps just fine?

please keep us updated booxtor, i will wait till the OTA is ready before using the device again
Yes, the problem with play services caused problems with installation of purchased apps and some Google apps. The reported by Google error was "Package com.google.android.gms has no signatures that match those in shared user" So signature because of some reasons did not match. We are fixing it now.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Booxtor
Booxtor

The problem was hard to discover for Chinese testers because of their Firewall to Google.
As I mentioned I have discovered it on my sample device just day before the production started. Don't worry, any found problem will be fixed ASAP. I am permanently monitoring all problem reports and customer feedback and enforce quick solutions by our dev team.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
marcosscriven
Enthusiast
marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Boox Max 2
Quote:
problem reports and customer feedback and enforce quick solutions by our dev team.
What problem reports? According to you, all your customers except me were very happy. Now you’re admitting there *are* problems?

I’m also unclear as to your relationship with Onyx. I assumed you were just a European retailer. Are you actually part of Onyx?
marcosscriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post
What problem reports? According to you, all your customers except me were very happy. Now you’re admitting there *are* problems?
Of course, there are bugs in such electronic devices. That doesn't mean that a customer will not be happy with their product.

I am very happy with my original Max although there are still some bugs in the software. There are also bugs in my Kobo ereaders and I am very happy with them as well.

Of course, I am even happier when manufacturers release updates to resolve some of the bugs. That has happened both with Kobo and Onyx.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
oranges
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Not an issue per se, but I don't know where to ask and don't particularly want to open a new thread.

I have a rather large document that is in the form of a number of JavaScript files, and also various images; there are . On my desktop or laptop computers, I have the files copied somewhere, and I can access them fom my Web browser.

I tried the same setup on the Onyx Max 2, and it works only partially. The first page will load, but then trying to follow links inside the set of files seems to take forever, and sometimes seems to not work at all.

Is there an issue with JavaScript support on the default browser? are there alternative browsers I might want to try? (I have zero familiarity with Android software - this is my only device running it)
i think there are alot of high fidelity websites that are one page apps, where they heavily use Javascript (built on React, Angular, etc) -- i would imagine these sites may not work as well on an ereader browser.

so far the browser seems adequate for me for normal sites (most sites these days will be running javascript) but i have yet to try a real dynamic website with a heavy javascript front-end
Old 01-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosscriven View Post

I’m also unclear as to your relationship with Onyx. I assumed you were just a European retailer. Are you actually part of Onyx?
Both. Our store is independent retailer of Onyx devices and I am personally consider me as part of software devteam. As volunteer (no salary or employment as freelancer) in first line driven by my enthusiasm I am taking part on Onyx software projects since very first (linux) devices, I help by developing of new features, testings of new software and devices. I am permanently in contact with other Onyx developers and I guess this my work and efforts are appreciated by majority of Onyx users worldwide (not only our customers).
Old 01-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
i think there are alot of high fidelity websites that are one page apps, where they heavily use Javascript (built on React, Angular, etc) -- i would imagine these sites may not work as well on an ereader browser.

so far the browser seems adequate for me for normal sites (most sites these days will be running javascript) but i have yet to try a real dynamic website with a heavy javascript front-end
Cannot do tests now - but I can mention that YouTube (the website) does not even work at all (on a desktop) if you disable javascript, and that it is extremely heavy already on very high end mobile devices. If you wanted to install Firefox or Chrome on the Max2, and try YouTube, that would be a real challenge. But as said, the yt script load has the best over high-end Samsung - so, that it even works would be the challenge.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post

I tried the same setup on the Onyx Max 2, and it works only partially. [...]

Hi Philippe, I opened a thread "Web Browsers" (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291010) a few months ago, and we suggested a number: Lightning, Dolphin, Opera, Naked Browser, Via Browser, Rocket Browser, Chrome, Puffin, UC Mini, Habit.
Take into account that they were tested on Android 4.x, not on Android 6, so the experience may vary - who knows, we all condemned Firefox but in the Max2 it may work fine.
Nonetheless, I suggest you check the thread to see what we experienced in the past.

I again strongly indicate Lightning, for general browsing, since it has:
1) text reflow, and
2) high contrast mode - even Wikipedia will look washed out on an EPD screen, because some smart guys thought it is cool to have dark grey on light grey.
But does it sport a javascript engine among the best? That I don't know.

One suggestion for your tests, also in case you have a problem in using Play, the main source for the Android Packages: maybe you could visit apkpure and download what you wish to try, then install the APK you will download.

Last edited by mdp; 01-03-2018 at 04:56 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #14
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
What about the battery life problem? Anyone at Onyx working on that, too?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #15
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Both. Our store is independent retailer of Onyx devices and I am personally consider me as part of software devteam. As volunteer (no salary or employment as freelancer) in first line driven by my enthusiasm I am taking part on Onyx software projects since very first (linux) devices, I help by developing of new features, testings of new software and devices. I am permanently in contact with other Onyx developers and I guess this my work and efforts are appreciated by majority of Onyx users worldwide (not only our customers).
Yes Booxtor, I appreciate yours efforts and your support. I confirm it. From the M90 period, it's very rare that a retailer give some so rude criticisms about a device that he can sell ! Your work made the M92 better. Thanks.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote