Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Gamesiarz
Gamesiarz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD2
FBreader - fonts boldness

Hello,

I have a question about fbreader on my touch hd2 with the latest firmware. Is there any way to control boldness of the font (like kindle)? I know that coolreader can do this but I'm using online library legimi which forces to use default fbreader. If not, then how to change type of the font? I have o lot fonts (fonts.google.com) that have different width, for example regular->normal->semi-bold->bold. If I don't want to use italic fonts how to cheat reader that semi-bold font is italic? Or semi-bold is bold? It seems that "fonts" folder detects only regular, italic and bold fonts without any exceptions. Is there any solution to solve this problem, because for me regular fonts are too thin and bold are too thick?

Gamesiarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
JohnDae
Connoisseur
JohnDae began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
Not possible. Neither is it possible to disable font anti aliasing which I would like to do.

You can install a very readable font like Lexia Dama by copying it at /system/fonts.
JohnDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
cassini
Enthusiast
cassini began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Yes, this boldness change impossibility in Adobe Viewer/FBReader you can elliminate by using of other fonts like Georgia or Charis SIL. Or try to select another from this database https://www.fontsquirrel.com/

One year ago I wrote to Pocketbook support about the font boldness option, but no answer
cassini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
It is, of course, possible to change the weight of your sideloaded fonts with a font editor, e.g. fontforge. I added some weight to most of my fonts.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I remember on older devices with poorer resolution and lower contrast that making fonts bolder was very helpful. Don't the modern Carta screens make this much less of a problem now? It could be that this feature isn't requested much anymore.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Don't the modern Carta screens make this much less of a problem now?
Yes and no. Fonts appear very sharp on modern screens with high ppi, but also often very thin. Increasing weight helps a lot. It's for a reason, that Amazon released the bold option in one of the latest firmwares.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Gamesiarz
Gamesiarz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD2
Thank you for your replies. I have managed to do exactly what I wanted with fontforge. The best way to achieve this is changing family name of medium and semi bold fonts. For example now I have 3 "lato" fonts to choose: lato, lato medium, lato semibold. I'm using the same bold font for every type (700), it's giving the best variety because a lot of books have some italic or bolded text.
Gamesiarz is offline   Reply With Quote