Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 AM   #1
alexcomp
alexcomp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Calibre always starts maximized

And I always have to minimize manually. Looks like there might be a command line instruction (start in tray) but not sure of syntax/how to make this happen.

Appreciate assistance. Mr. Goyal, it would seem this should be an option available in the startup wizard. Most people would like the program to be a background service always available but not necessarily hogging the screen every time Windows boots. Suggest minimize to tray should be default behavior.
alexcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not start maximized it starts with whatever window geometry it had when you last quit it. If you want it to start in tray use the option for it, simply create a new calibre shortcut and add the option to the command line in that shortcut.

And I'm afraid that starting in tray is never going to be default behavior.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcomp View Post
And I always have to minimize manually. Looks like there might be a command line instruction (start in tray) but not sure of syntax/how to make this happen.

Appreciate assistance. Mr. Goyal, it would seem this should be an option available in the startup wizard. Most people would like the program to be a background service always available but not necessarily hogging the screen every time Windows boots. Suggest minimize to tray should be default behavior.
Bolding mine.

That would be a great idea for a poll. Not to change Kovid's mind (per what he just stated) but to see what the majority of people ACTUALLY do want.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
You could add Calibre to your Startup folder, C:\users\<yourname>\appdata\roaming\microsoft\wind ows\start menu\programs\startup (good grief, I can't believe I actually found it). First find the Calibre .exe file, right click on it and select Copy, then go into the Startup folder and do Paste Shortcut (NOT Paste), then right click on the shortcut you just created and select Properties, select the Shortcut tab, in that in the Run box select Minimized. That's what I do for Mozilla Thunderbird; here's its (the shortcut) Properties box on my computer with that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-05-24 113147.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	171620
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only those who use the Calibre server would want it to auto-start with Windows. I strongly suspect that the overwhelming majority of Calibre users, like me, simply use it as a desktop app when they want to use it and wouldn't want it running all the time (but I have no evidence to support that ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2019, 03:16 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I am with Harry...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:34 AM   #7
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I am with Harry...
Same here 😊
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:02 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I agree with Harry, I don't want calibre starting with Windows, minimized or not.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:17 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️

But if you want it, just do as lumpynose suggests.

FWIW an easy way to get to the Windows start-up folder is to press Win+R and type shell:startup. See ==>> Shell Commands for Windows 10

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't just limit my Don't start with Windows to Calibre.

I set almost every user app to NOT load the quick start selection (eg OO, Java)
Windows (7,10) starts slow enough (has gotten way slower over time), without loading these 'speed up first use' modules.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I start calibre manually, but then leave it always alive, minimised, so that I can use content server.
it survives PC sleep/ wake cycles in that state
I used to have it start with windows, its pure laziness that when I changed PC I never got around to manually making that happen. With W10 it's not a process I have in memory, but if kovid provided a tick box I'd tick it!

my email program - , the excellent paid for version of mailbird - does auto start with windows. - that is another always on program.

dropbox also . I like to glance at the tray and see the white icon as that tells me internet is up and working OK. Windows' own on-line connectivity icon can get stuck in a wrong state sometimes , indicating there's a problem when really there isn't

with SSD drives the whole waiting for windows to start up issue goes away.
A restart,e.g. when W10 update insists, is just a few seconds, not a couple of anxious minutes
my other "start with windows" are server side bits for remotes, and my plex server
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
with SSD drives the whole waiting for windows to start up issue goes away. A restart,e.g. when W10 update insists, is just a few seconds, not a couple of axious minutes my other "start with windows" are server side bits for remotes, and my plex server
SSDs are the bees knees!
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've got very few things starting with Windows, despite the speed of SSD. A couple of customization apps (translucent taskbar, the brightness adjustment slider) and the WD Cloud Home. Plus Windows Defender, of course. All the rest, Dropbox and Calibre included, I fire up manually when I want to.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
minimize, start minimized