Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Boox Euclid

Just wondering why no posts about the Boox Euclid reader in the last six months? AFAIK it's the only 10"device with a frontlight.

Is there something I've missed - something wrong - re. this device?

Last edited by EldRick; 06-26-2019 at 08:16 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Boox Note Pro and Likebook Mimas also offer a frontlight
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I think you would find more talk about the Boox Euclid on a Russian forum. It seems to be very similar to the Boox Note S, just a different name.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

The big difference is no stylus and extra layer on the screen, and a couple hundred dollars lower cost.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Didn't realize that the Euclid doesn't have a stylus. Personally, that would be a deal breaker for me. But if you don't need it, then no need to spend the extra money paying for a functionality that you won't use.

I would just worry about updates. Is this a model which is going to continue being supported?

Unfortunately, they seem to have abandoned any notion to continue supporting the original Max with new firmware updates. Not too pleased about that since it was an expensive device and isn't all that old. Will the Euclid be another such casualty as they currently seem to be focusing their attention on the recent devices with a stylus?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
EldRick
Evangelist

I just want it as a reader, not a notepad. As to continuing support, time will tell.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard

Interesting comment over on the Onyx BBS page:

Quote:
I bought my max 2 pro from onyxboox.com 1. I assumed at the time that that was the “official store”, and that I would get the “default” version of the device. However, I have been unable to update the device using the new firmware 2.1.2 from boox.com. After doing some digging, I’ve discovered that onyxboox.com 1 is in fact some Russia-based reseller posing as the official Onyx store, and sells a “customized” version of the device with a different line of firmwares, and I would have to wait for them to produce their “customized” version of the 2.1.2 software. When I questioned them about this, they said that mine is the “international” version of the device, and the boox.com version is not supposed to be used outside of China. This sounds fishy, considering many of you seem to be from various parts of the world other than China, and seem to have the original boox.com version of the device.

Am I alone here? Did anybody else buy their device from onyxboox.com 1 and end up with this mysterious “international version”? Does anybody know what the differences are between the two versions of the firmwares? Is it possible to “reflash” the device with the default version of the firmware? Am I right to worry that this whole thing with a Chinese-built version and a Russian-built “international version” seems fishy, especially since the difference is not advertised publicly?

http://bbs.onyx-international.com/t/...-firmware/1404
Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist

I've had the Euclid for a couple of days, and just updated it from 2018 firmware to April, 2019 version. It is a huge update. Much more satisfactory.
My only interest in the device is as an epub reader, and for that purpose it is excellent.
I'm coming from a Kobo Forma, and this is a real upgrade for me - bigger screen, better battery life, and while the Kobo SW is more attractive, this level of Boox is entirely adequate.
I'm impressed - the purchase was a great decision. Recommended.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.