Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
skype w/video, iPod Touch (or iPhone)

It appears that Skype w/video isn't available on iPhones or the iPod Touch. Can someone clue me in as to why this is the case? Is Skype, Inc. just lazin' about on this? Or is Apple refusing to allow Skype to distribute a video-version, so as to try to shift people over to Facetime?

I'm visiting the States again in October and am considering purchasing an iPod Touch; my iPad is an excellent eReader, but I jog home from work everyday and am thus unable to carry the iPad with me to work (because i can't jog with it back home). An iPod Touch, on the other hand, could easily make the journey with me both ways; but to justify a $400 purchase I would need a fully-functioning version of Skype on it... and, frankly, it just really ticks me off that Apple would limit Skype in this way, if that's what they're doing.

Any insights and prognostications appreciated...
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Deleted. Misread the original post, sorry.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
From what I understand and speculate there are a couple of reasons for Skype not having Video calling on their iPhone Client.

First the practical version, that the First iPhone / iPod Touch with a front facing camera (Which you really need if you want to do video chat) was just launched 3-4 months ago. It takes time to develop a feature to take advantage of new hardware, especially as I don't know how restrictive Apple is with third part access to the cameras. The new iPod touch has only been out for a few weeks, and it is that product that really opens up the option to the masses.

Another possible reason, if you believe the conspiracy theorists, Skype is delaying major features for non Verizon Phones as they signed an exclusive deal (Bar the iPhone I think) with them for Skype on phones, and don't want to offer major features on a phone not on their network.

More likely, they are concentrating more on getting Video calling overall to work better, as shown by the Beta multi user video calling that's just come out for pc , and also on working on a way to get paid for the Video calling as they want to make / keep the service profitable.

I personally wish that they would add that feature, as like you I'm very much dependent on Skype, and need a good skype client on my phone. I'm looking to upgrade my Ipone 3G and the main question I'm asking of all possible options is a decent skype client.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
It might be that Skype it is much more demanding than the super-simple video chat app that Apple has developed, as far as hardware power is concerned and they haven't figured it out just yet.

But my bet is that they're developing it right now. They just didn't have the advanced notice that Apple did, so it is not ready yet.

We'll see.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks. Maybe ya'll are right, but I would've thought something like this would be very simple to develop: 1) skype for iOS is already there, 2) skype w/video on other platforms is already there. Seems like 3) merging the two would be easy-peasy... but, admittedly, I know little-to-nothing about iOS or video (from an application developer's viewpoint).

as for hardware: again, I don't know the details vis-a-vis bus speeds, cpu speed, cache, etc, but my guess is the iPad is as capable a streaming video device as my 3-year-old netbook... and thus exceptionally sophisticated algorithms to compress & uncompress video snaps aren't necessary.

i don't mean to argue; just wondering aloud.
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
One of Apple's reasons for rejecting apps is that that duplicate existing system functionality. I would have thought that they would reject video-Skype for that reason, to have people use FaceTime instead.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
vonCZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
One of Apple's reasons for rejecting apps is that that duplicate existing system functionality. I would have thought that they would reject video-Skype for that reason, to have people use FaceTime instead.
i don't think this really applies here: the difference between Skype and FaceTime are as great as the difference between iBooks and Stanza... much *more* so, in fact: for the vast majority of calls for the vast majority of users, FaceTime is absolutely useless... whereas video-Skype has a sizable user-base.

If Apple is, in fact, rejecting video-Skype, it's certainly not to avoid cluttering up our iDevices with redundant software.

ps- are you a geophysicist?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
ps- are you a geophysicist?
No, and nor do I play one on TV
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote