Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Has the Price war started? Preorder book for $13.10

I have been looking for a good way to track new releases from my favorite authors and posted in a thread about it at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71730 While trying to looking into that stuff I was experimenting with JD Robb and discovered that she has a new book coming out on Feb 23rd. Amazon has "Fantasy in Death" for $13.10 and not the customary $9.99.

There were also some comments posted on the amazon forums (http://www.amazon.com/Delayed-Kindle...40&store=books) The comments indicated that the ebook version was originally delayed till August to give the hard cover a release window. Apparently the publisher reconsidered and changed the release date to match the hard cover. It is interesting to note that the hard cover sells for $14.55 which is really quite close to the ebook price.

I wonder if this is the first effect of the iPad launch or just a publisher really pushing at amazon? I can say this much, it really annoys me that the book will not be available at $9.99. I want to say I won't buy it...I really do...but I don't know if I am strong enough to resist. lol.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle K2i
I can happily say I won't buy it. I have enough trouble swallowing book prices that are close or equal to the price of the paperback. There's no way I'm buying an e-book that costs almost as much as the hardback.

Publishers, I'm going to be very clear about this: Jack up the price of e-books, and I'll stop buying. I strongly suspect I'm not alone. I know it's hard for you--what with the drastically reduced overhead costs of e-books and all--to refrain from making a bald-faced money grab. But please, do try to control yourselves.
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I won't tolerate being gouged either!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm reading the "In Death" series but I'm on book 11 (I think). I will not pay more than $9.99. It's going to be a couple of years before I get to this book (I read several other books in between) so it should be a much lower price by then.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
I think it is safe to say the price war has begun. There is a very interesting thread in the news and commentary section about Amazon pulling MacMillion's ebooks, and their paper books as well over ebook pricing. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71750

Moejoe posted a really interesting link in that thread to a good gizmodo article on the move and it's potential impact. http://gizmodo.com/5460203/the-apple...acmillan-books

I am still undecided what to do about this particular book. If it were a series I had less invested in (35 books!) I would be more willing to boycott it on principle. I feel like I should skip it till the price comes down but I feel a bit like an addict being told his drugs will cost more...what's he gonna do but find more money?
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Fantasy in Death has a $9.99 pre-order price at B&N. Buy it there, strip it and convert it for your Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
JetSetter
JetSetter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I noticed that a book I have on pre-order was also pulled. Yikes! That e-book's release was already falling under the new 3-month after hardcover release system, so I'm hoping that Amazon can win a little here. I think that Amazon is or should be on our (ie Kindle owner's) side. They want our business, so they will try to push publishers for the best price and release date.

I know it sounds greedy of me, but I don't like the games that the publishers are playing. The 3 month delayed release really raised my hackles, so I hope that will also be addressed. So I find myself supporting Amazon on this. If MacMillan wins, I'll stop buying their books. Hello library!

I assume Apple is part of the problem, because they dangled the price carrot in front of the publishers. Apple will sell their iPad, because it's Apple and all shiny. They aren't worried about the iPad. What they want is Apple users (iPad, Touch, iPhone) to stop buying their books from Amazon and switch to their bookstore. Ah I hate Apple.
JetSetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
I assume Apple is part of the problem, because they dangled the price carrot in front of the publishers. Apple will sell their iPad, because it's Apple and all shiny. They aren't worried about the iPad. What they want is Apple users (iPad, Touch, iPhone) to stop buying their books from Amazon and switch to their bookstore. Ah I hate Apple.
If it's more expensive to buy a book at the Apple iBookstore than it is at Amazon, then sorry, Apple & publishers, but I'm getting that book at Amazon. And you're kidding yourselves if you think readers are going to be so in love with the iPad (ugh, what a horrible name) that they'll be willing to shell out more for those books.

Last edited by wallflower75; 01-30-2010 at 10:28 AM.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
JetSetter
JetSetter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
If it's more expensive to buy a book at the Apple iBookstore than it is at Amazon, then sorry, Apple & publishers, but I'm getting that book at Amazon. And you're kidding yourselves if you think readers are going to be so in love with the iPad (ugh, what a horrible name) that they'll be willing to shell out more for those books.
That's exactly my point. Apple knows they'll sell the iPad. They need to win the price war to shift consumers from Amazon to their store. Amazon, on the other hand, still needs to sell their Kindle which in turn helps them lock customers into their store. But who will buy a Kindle if Amazon's ebook prices are the same as Apple, Sony and B&N? Amazon's price advantage is a huge selling point for the Kindle. Lose that and they will have real problems.
JetSetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Once it hits the NYT best-seller list, Fictionwise should have it for 100% micropay rebate. I will buy it then, at whatever price, as I can use the rebate on other things.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
It's in pre-order right now. When it is released, you can expect that the price will soon drop to $9.99. They always do.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSetter View Post
They need to win the price war to shift consumers from Amazon to their store
Or attempt to make sure the books either aren't available from Amazon at all or that the price is the same (or higher) on Amazon's store as Apple's. Or make sure users of their device can't shop at the competition, which is the model they've used in the past.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't think we will see a downward effect on ebook prices until after the iPad has actually launched. There's not real incentive for Amazon to lower their prices just yet, other than their current competition, B&N etc.

As Pardoz mentioned, the spanner in the works that could stop healthy competition is format lock in on these devices. However at this stage, it looks like we should be able to buy from Amazon and convert to epub and use on an iPad. In addition to that ideally we will be able to use the Amazon/Kindle app on the iPad (we hope).

Once these devices all use interoperable file formats, then we will see some real price competition. It's a really sneaky nasty tactic using these proprietary formats imo.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I don't think we will see a downward effect on ebook prices until after the iPad has actually launched.
In fact, we've already seen (an attempt at) an upward effect on e-book prices. My hopes that Apple's entry into the market might be good for readers are dwindling fast.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
mcl
Connoisseur
mcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enoughmcl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle K2i
Given that Amazon just yanked all Macmillan books -- physical and digital -- from their website over a dispute about Macmillan's desire to sell books for $15 a pop (a model that Apple allows, and that was explicitly shown at the iPad launch: several macmillan books at $14.99 onscreen), I'm deeply skeptical that the ipad will force a DOWNWARD pressure on ebook prices.

if anything, Apple's contract allows ebook publishers to jack up their prices to reap bigger profits. Macmillan's shown they want exactly that.

Prices will be going UP thanks to Apple and the iPad, not down.
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote