Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #31
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No I'm describing an e-ink screen with non luminescent color and a glowing screen like you have in some watches to see the LCD display. I thought it was obvious.

EDIT: It appears there is a Nook with a glowing screen for night reading. So not only Sony fails in adding a glow feature but it's been done before so it's not even new so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you are describing is a tablet with an LCD screen and they exist now. So go get yourself one.

Last edited by Quexos; 08-19-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #32
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
The T2 has physical page turn buttons in the photos. Do you have a source for the idea that it doesn't?
Indeed I now saw a pic of a red one, until now I had only seen the black one and the buttons on it looked only "printed" sensor type ones, on the red one they look very different and are indeed physical.

http://www.ebouquin.fr/2012/08/17/te...euse-complete/

I don't like their finish at all on the pic. I will check them out next time I am in a shop.

Nevertheless, the review here is not exactly convincing, especially if you already own a T1.

Edited to say : That will teach me to read the entire thread before answering, I see someone already posted the ebouquin review.

Last edited by aceflor; 08-19-2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Ups! I see someone already posted the test !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
EDIT: It appears there is a Nook with a glowing screen for night reading. So not only Sony fails in adding a glow feature but it's been done before so it's not even new so to speak.
Worse.
A couple years back, Amazon bought a company working on frontlighting light-guide tech and is widely expected to have a front-light model coming "real-soon-now". Probably before november.
There is also an independent company that has been shopping around their own light-guide film to all comers.

So what Sony has done is *reduced* the hardware features of their 2012 model to match the feature set of *last year's* Nook STR, the one that "underperformed" over the 2011 holidays and which is still available for US$79-99. (Or free in occasional sales.)

The best thing to do with the T2--at least in North America--is wait. That US$129 price won't last at retail more than a month. Since the feature set is now comparable to the Nook STR and Kobo Touch the price will have to match their pricing.

What it will sell for internationally I won't even guess but if Sony doesn't come within a few euros of the K4 and Kobo their T2 sales likely won't even match their disappointing T1 sales.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ifi-in-europe/

Unless the hackers find gold in these boxes...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'd love to have a new Sony Reader (since my 505 is dying), but jeeze $130! that's outrageous compared to the Kindles....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'd love to have a new Sony Reader (since my 505 is dying), but jeeze $130! that's outrageous compared to the Kindles....

You don't want to buy a Sony.

You want to rethink your life.

You want to buy a Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You don't want to buy a Sony.

You want to rethink your life.

You want to buy a Kindle.
Don't waste your time, Obi Monkey; Darth Sony beat you to it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Don't waste your time, Obi Monkey; Darth Sony beat you to it.
LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #38
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

My brother has a K4 nontouch and I have the T1 [among others]. I actually liked the K4 better...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #39
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
No I'm describing an e-ink screen with non luminescent color and a glowing screen like you have in some watches to see the LCD display. I thought it was obvious.

Sony did have a glowing screen eink reader a few years back, the PRS-700. It didn't sell well if I recall correctly. I did think that they would try to add a glow screen again this time around. I'm not particularly interested in the glow screens as I'd rather have longer battery life and I am very happy with the lighted case, but I imagine that the new Nook Glow is popular in the U.S.

I will skip this generation of Sony reader, which is not to say that I think that the PRS-t2 isn't likely a good product, it is just not one worth upgrading my T1 for.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #40
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
My brother has a K4 nontouch and I have the T1 [among others]. I actually liked the K4 better...
I own a K4 (nontouch) as well as the T1. I never expected to like the Kindle as much as I do. In a lot of ways I like it better than the T1,
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I own a K4 (nontouch) as well as the T1. I never expected to like the Kindle as much as I do. In a lot of ways I like it better than the T1,
Hear hear.

: I would have chosen this one :

Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Where did they get their version of Sorcerer's Stone?

I bought my copy of Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone from Pottermore in ePub format for my Nook. The Engaget link in the OP has an entirely different image of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone than what I bought from Pottermore.

In fact, the Pottermore editions of all the books are the best formatted eBooks I've ever seen. Each chapter starts with the same wonderful Mary Grandpre image we found in the physical books and the Grandpre drawings come across especially well on the eInk screen. There is also a drop cap at the beginning of each chapter just like the physical books. The two elements together make the ebooks something special.

I looked at the Sony site to be sure they hadn't just photoshopped a generic first page but the image Sony used showing the red T2 is exactly like the one pictured in Engaget.

Does anyone know what's happening?

Last edited by 6charlong; 08-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #43
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
That's the UK edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. They're not illustrated like the US editions.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It looks nice, but I like my physical buttons on my prs-t1 so no upgrade for me. As much as I enjoy touch models, I need buttons. Too many flying insects around here, they make a touch display a nightmare. Ideally I'd want a device with buttons on both side (a la kindle 4 or nook st), with a switchable touch option (so it can be non-touch when I am reading outside), wifi, running on an android based hackable firmware, with a front-lit display, and with whispersync to my kindle books.

This will never happen.....
There are still buttons, but larger than the T1, and wifi, like the T1, and I presume it will be hacked, all the other Sony's have been.
So all that's missing is the front lighting, which isn't efficient - I presume you mean a "glow screen" - but a clip light is cheap at least, and the whisper sync..... well, you're not theoretically able to read kindle books anyway, you know....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #45
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
There are still buttons, but larger than the T1, and wifi, like the T1, and I presume it will be hacked, all the other Sony's have been.
So all that's missing is the front lighting, which isn't efficient - I presume you mean a "glow screen" - but a clip light is cheap at least, and the whisper sync..... well, you're not theoretically able to read kindle books anyway, you know....
Theoretically .

Btw, the glow screen on my nst glow is super efficient. It's the touch part of all these readers that is really the breaking point FOR ME, because I'd like it to be a switchable function, not a permanent one, which is for one not going to happen and would kill the android side anyway. That is my missing feature! Carpetmojo, try to concentrate .