Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
bugi
bugi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4 (notouch), iPhone, iPad
Reader for visually and mobility impaired 2012

Dear community,

a sister of mine is nearly blind, because of her multiple sclerosis. Also, the controls i.e. on my Kindle4 (notouch) are way to flimsy for her to use.

Since I can't find serious information about physical Letter-Heights on modern eBook-Readers I would like to ask for your recommendation, I'm mainly interested in the real letter size on appropriate devices.

Money is not the issue, but accessibilty is.

Thank you very much in advance

Sincerly
Bugi
bugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Well the kindle can read aloud to the reader and there are adaptive controls to make it easier for a person with problems to work one.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-the-disabled/
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
The Pocketbook 902 is a 9,7" reader. That is quite big, I'm not sure if this size is convenient for everyone (although personally I like it).
With the greatest font size the big letters (E, N ...) are 7-8 mm, the normal letters (e, n ...) are 5 mm.
You can let read aloud the device (= text to speech), this works quite good and natural with the Pocketbook readers.

For 6" devices (easier to hold) you might get 6/4 mm, at least that is what my Cybook Gen3 has.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably the most "accessible" device is the Apple iPad. It has won praise from blind organisations for being 100% usable by the totally blind, right out of the box.

Here are a couple of reviews of the iPad by blind users:

http://www.readhowyouwant.com/blog/p...ind-Users.aspx
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably the most "accessible" device is the Apple iPad. It has won praise from blind organisations for being 100% usable by the totally blind, right out of the box.

Here are a couple of reviews of the iPad by blind users:

http://www.readhowyouwant.com/blog/p...ind-Users.aspx
That is interesting. I wonder if it is possible to turn the screen OFF and still be able to use the iPad. I mean, if you are completely blind, that might save a lot on battery life.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is interesting. I wonder if it is possible to turn the screen OFF and still be able to use the iPad. I mean, if you are completely blind, that might save a lot on battery life.
I don't know about the ipad but with windows computers you can adjust the screen brightness to a fairly dark setting. So if an ipad screen can be dimmed you might save some battery power. I know my netbook battery lasts longer with a less bright sreen. Of course modems use a lot of power when turned on too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote