Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Book Designer issues

Hi,
I recently started using book designer, to edit some books I have into the LRF format.

I've had several questions answered by Patricia who was so willing to spend her time helping me out, and I've learned lots already. I spend also a considerable amount of time browsing through the ever longer getting forums, both through the old and new posts, and honestly all this information is driving me nuts .. lol

Whenever a problem arises I can eliminate the problem by changing a setting in BD, but that only leads to another problem.
Like this:

1-
Suggested was to create emdashes from double lines like this: '--'.
I can now do that in MS Word, but I've read about Book Cleaner files, which should do the same thing in BD. I've tried them out, and found all words with 'oe' get replaced by '—'.
Is there any solution to this?
At the moment I'll do the conversion in Word, but it seems book designer reconverts emdashes back to a single dash '-' again,so I'm basically back at the beginning.

2-
I currently only own a Sony Reader, so I save in LRF format. But it's just the touch of a button to convert it to Mobi or other formats.
Would you suggest me converting to another format as well?(despite not having a reader to compare how the text will look like?)

3-
Are there any macro's that can remove footnotes from the text to the bottom of the document?(they are mainly references)
I remember someone writing about them, but I can't seem to find their post back.
My footnotes are all like this: "[Footnote: ...blabla footnote here...]"

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-26-2008 at 11:59 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
HI

I had the same issue as 1........bugged me for ages

the following worked for me.

open tools/Book Cleaner and in the window that opens, at the bottom load into input file:before formatting 1.bcf and into input file:after formatting 2.bcf , then save making sure you have 'whole' ticked on the loaded book section first, close Book Cleaner.

Then go into settings and make sure the language is set to German. This should now work when you next load a book, allowing all emdashes and 'oe' to show correctly.

as for 2: I always save my book as a Book Designer file first then as an lrf. That way if you ever wish to change formats you can load the Book Designer version and save again as another type of file.

Can't help on 3, but Im sure someone else will be along soon who can
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Hi,
I recently started using book designer, to edit some books I have into the LRF format.

I've had several questions answered by Patricia who was so willing to spend her time helping me out, and I've learned lots already. I spend also a considerable amount of time browsing through the ever longer getting forums, both through the old and new posts, and honestly all this information is driving me nuts .. lol
Have you gone through my BD tutorial? That covers pretty much all the basics.

Quote:
1-
Suggested was to create emdashes from double lines like this: '--'.
I can now do that in MS Word, but I've read about Book Cleaner files, which should do the same thing in BD. I've tried them out, and found all words with 'oe' get replaced by '—'.
Is there any solution to this?
Make sure the language is NOT set to "English" (yes, I know that's not intuitive!). I always have it set to German.

Quote:
2-
I currently only own a Sony Reader, so I save in LRF format. But it's just the touch of a button to convert it to Mobi or other formats.
Do NOT use BD to create MobiPocket files - it create a very old version of the MobiPocket file format which has all sorts of problems. Best way to create a MobiPocket book once you have it looking nice in BD is to use the "Save As" menu in BD to save the book as HTML, then use MobiPocket Creator to create a Mobi book from the HTML. It takes less than 5 minutes for the entire process - I've written another tutorial which gives step-by-step instructions.

Quote:
3-
Are there any macro's that can remove footnotes from the text to the bottom of the document?(they are mainly references)
I remember someone writing about them, but I can't seem to find their post back.
My footnotes are all like this: "[Footnote: ...blabla footnote here...]"
Not that I know of, but I find it a sufficiently rapid manual process that it's never been an issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

concerning Book Cleaner I've done as you say, still it does not seem to work... Every M-dash or doubledash gets converted to a single dash

About 2:
Since I don't really have a reader to compare the outcome to the original I indeed will just save LRF only.

Book Designer tutorial:
Yes I went through the tutorial,and saw HarryT's BD Tut. and read in the wiki.
The wiki actually got me confused, due to being older/non updated...

Footnotes:
Well,this book I have now has about a hundred of footnotes throughout the book.
It's not that fast doing manually

Thanks anyways!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
concerning Book Cleaner I've done as you say, still it does not seem to work... Every M-dash or doubledash gets converted to a single dash
There is an option when you go to Make Sony Reader File under options that dictates how dashes come out.

When you go to make the LRF, select the options tab and then look under misc. Where you see dashes, change to as it is. That will keep the dashes as they are be they em dashes, en dashes, or dashes. If it is set to short, middle, or long, then all the dahses will be changed to that one dash size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I think the emdashes disappear when I load a file, the setting you mention is set to 'not change dashes'.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As you are loading the file, do you see BD running Book Cleaner?

When you go to Tools | Book Cleaner, do you see input file is 1.bcf and output file is 2.bcf?

If 2.bcf is the selected file, do you see a line that has uni(137) uni(151) (one per column)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
About 2:
Since I don't really have a reader to compare the outcome to the original I indeed will just save LRF only.
If you have a Windows PC, install the Windows MobiPocket Reader from http://www.mobipocket.com. That gives you a nice reader for Mobipocket files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote