Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Google Play Gift Cards soon to be a reality

http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/16/go...ay-gift-cards/

Quote:
The gift card packaging lists movies, music, books, apps, and “more” along the bottom.
Quote:
The search giant will offer Google Play gift cards in $10 and $25 increments, according to the photos obtained by Android Central (as shown in the image above). The latest Google Play Store app update’s code also contains references to support for gift cards as well as wish lists, reports Android Police.

--------------------------

p.s. I am always curious what the margin on this product for retailers that sell Itunes card, Amazon card etc...?

$20 gift card: 5% or $1 to retailers? and 95% or $19 to Itunes/Amazon/Google?

or is the margin higher?

I tried google the answer but no luck. I would assume it's tiny since it takes very little space.

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 08-17-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
p.s. I am always curious what the margin on this product for retailers that sell Itunes card, Amazon card etc...?

$20 gift card: 5% or $1 to retailers? and 95% or $19 to Itunes/Amazon/Google?

or is the margin higher?

I tried google the answer but no luck. I would assume it's tiny since it takes very little space.
That tends to be confidential information, you'd have to get to know a retailer personally and ask them, I think. Almost wish that point cards like these would be like credit card pre-paids and have an extra fee printed on them to guarantee the retailer gets a fair commission out of the sale (no, I don't mind paying a little extra, as long as it's fair).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This is good news, I suspect once this happens it will increase sales to all of Play's products. For me it will be an easy way to give an allowance to my children and not worry about them ringing up my CC.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I really like the idea. It's something I would've thought would've happened a lot sooner, but better late than never I suppose.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Feel way more comfortable logging a $20 gift card online for shopping than linking a credit or debit account to one of these, whether its Apple, Google, or whatever.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Well, I hope they don't do what Amazon does. Amazon doesn't allow you to bypass a gift card balance for purchases. I've had times where I wanted to buy an electronic device with only my credit card (for free extended warranty) and Amazon wanted to apply the remaining balance from my credits and gift cards before using the credit card. CS calls revealed it was policy and too bad. They suggested I use up my balances and then make a credit card purchase. Totally unsatisfactory.

Bottom line, I rarely shop at Amazon anymore and avoid their GCs; unless I can get one for half off. In which case, I spend it right away on classical music.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Excellent. I dislike using my credit card for small purchases, like $0.99 for a game.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Excellent. I dislike using my credit card for small purchases, like $0.99 for a game.
I recently used my credit card to buy a Kindle book for $0.01
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, I hope they don't do what Amazon does. Amazon doesn't allow you to bypass a gift card balance for purchases. I've had times where I wanted to buy an electronic device with only my credit card (for free extended warranty) and Amazon wanted to apply the remaining balance from my credits and gift cards before using the credit card. CS calls revealed it was policy and too bad. They suggested I use up my balances and then make a credit card purchase. Totally unsatisfactory.

Bottom line, I rarely shop at Amazon anymore and avoid their GCs; unless I can get one for half off. In which case, I spend it right away on classical music.
Hmmm, when checking out I have been asked if I want to use my gift card credit or if I prefer to pay with a CC. Maybe it's because I'm outside the US?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Hmmm, when checking out I have been asked if I want to use my gift card credit or if I prefer to pay with a CC. Maybe it's because I'm outside the US?
:Whipsers: you realize your responding to a monkey... :end whisper:
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
:Whipsers: you realize your responding to a monkey... :end whisper:
Me likes to share bananas with monkey.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Wal Marts around here charge a $5.00 fee when you purchase a Visa Gift Card.

Quote:
I recently used my credit card to buy a Kindle book for $0.01
With that small amount, Amazon did not even get the $0.01 and may have paid more than that to the Credit Card Company. Most of the time companies pay a percentage plus a small fee that averages $0.20.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
That tends to be confidential information, you'd have to get to know a retailer personally and ask them, I think. Almost wish that point cards like these would be like credit card pre-paids and have an extra fee printed on them to guarantee the retailer gets a fair commission out of the sale (no, I don't mind paying a little extra, as long as it's fair).
In my experience as both a consumer and a retailer,the retailer does get paid a fair commission. Just as with calling cards and prepaid cell cards.

And except for franchise operations no retailer is forced to sell these cards.

Fes for customers can be quite high
Canada Post Prepaid Visa cards
Rates & prices
Service fees*
Activation (one-time fee) $15
Monthly service fee $3**
Reload fee $3
ATM & cash advance $2†
Foreign currency conversion 2.5%

The same fees apply to merchants who accept the cards as payment that apply to regular Visa cards. typically 2% but could be higher for lower volumn businesses.

And some cards expire in a set period of time (usually these days you can get the balance back, but many are unaware of this and it is an inconvenience as well)

Recently I wanted to buy a Visa Gift card for a baby shower, but decided based on the fees etc. that a nice shiny $50 dollar bill would do just as well.

Of course there are a few better gift card options, but not in the town I am in.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Those are different cards. I'm talking the non-reloadable Visa (and MasterCard) Gift Cards that you generally buy off the same racks as long distance phone cards, XBox Live point cards, etc., etc... Denominations of, generally, $25 value ($3.95 fee printed on the card's package), $50 ($4.95), $100 ($5.95) and up [those are the Visa Gift Card prices, not sure about MC]. (and, yes, you can use these just like regular credit cards - just have to register at a site listed on the card for retailers that demand addresses and such)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #15
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Well, I hope they don't do what Amazon does. Amazon doesn't allow you to bypass a gift card balance for purchases. I've had times where I wanted to buy an electronic device with only my credit card (for free extended warranty) and Amazon wanted to apply the remaining balance from my credits and gift cards before using the credit card.
I've found a couple of ways around that. One is to add the item to a wish list and then to my cart, and the other is to mark something in the order as a gift. In both cases, when I check-out it steps me through a series of screens, one of which is a payment screen. I can deselect the gift card there. This doesn't seem to work with promotional discounts like Lightning Deals; they lump the gift card and discount together so to not use the gift card you have to forgo the discount.

And it doesn't help with stuff like Subscribe & Save. They really do seem hell-bent on using up a gift card balance.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote