Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #121
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmessenger View Post
Thanks. Good review.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #122
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Ok, Ive added those to my page along with my reviews...

https://scionmessenger.wixsite.com/e...book-color-633
Thanks for the no nonsense, honest user reviews and pictures. Impressive device. Very tempting. But I think I'll hold off until somebody comes out with an 8 inch or 10 inch device.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #123
scionmessenger
Enthusiast
scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Color PB633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Thanks for the no nonsense, honest user reviews and pictures. Impressive device. Very tempting. But I think I'll hold off until somebody comes out with an 8 inch or 10 inch device.
No problem! Yeah, ill prob get an 8 inch when it comes out, but if no one braves the newness, they wont get money lol and the 8 inch wont be made. It is a little small, main reason for color is comics, and as long as they are cbr's they work fine. 8 inch, with 32k color though, say in 3 years....GAMECHANGER!!!
scionmessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #124
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
This looks great. I'm very tempted. I've been with Kindle for many years now so I may wait up to a year to see if they release one first, but any day I might bite the bullet and get this one because I've been wanting a colour ereader forever.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #125
ilweran
ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Mini, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
This looks great. I'm very tempted. I've been with Kindle for many years now so I may wait up to a year to see if they release one first, but any day I might bite the bullet and get this one because I've been wanting a colour ereader forever.
Same here, love my Voyage and my Kindle Keyboard still works, but I've been waiting a long time it feels like for a colour ereader. I'm probably just going to order it!
ilweran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #126
Elektron
Evangelist
Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Elektron is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 Version 2, Kobo Mini
Does the PocketBook Color support OverDrive?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #127
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Ok, Ive added those to my page along with my reviews. All the pictures are now clickable and when you do give it a few seconds and it will be magnified and you can scroll around in super detail. If you want to save the high res version, or look at it all at once in hi res, mode and you right click and open or save its just the low res version!

https://scionmessenger.wixsite.com/e...book-color-633
Thank you.

As expected the screen – without front light – is considerably darker.
As I read novels and edited versions of text web articles, mostly wikipedia, I don't think I'm in the market for it unless I was to read a load of comics or graphic novels.
It's an amazing achievement, but at the end of the day a compromise between best monochrome for text and real colour. So very, very niche. I'll stick to the 10" Lenovo LCD tablet when I really need colour, which is about 1/2 the price of a Forma, and my Kobo libra for novels and occasional collated articles (like about 300 pages on characters in ancient Celtic myths collected from CELT, Wikipedia and Sacred Texts websites, pasted into LO Writer, fixed up and made into an ebook with Calibre).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #128
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
not directly, no
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:56 AM   #129
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iliad, onhandpc, newton, zaurus
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Just to keep you posted: first delay notification e-mail received from pccomponentes.com. They didn't got stock of the product on the expected date and my delivery is postponed to 10th of August.
Second delay notification from pccomponentes.com. They had a problem procuring stock and there is a new delay of 10 days.

Cancelled and ordered through sotel.de

TL;DR: Don't order the pocketbook color using pccomponentes.com if you want it asap.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #130
Crowriver
Zealot
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova Pro, Max, reMarkable, Pocketbook Color, Yotaphone 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
not directly, no
Does support Adobe DRM though, so you can transfer the files downloaded onto your computer to the Pocketbook and load the books from these, no?
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #131
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
Does support Adobe DRM though, so you can transfer the files downloaded onto your computer to the Pocketbook and load the books from these, no?
Yes. Since the PocketBook has ADE built-in, you can borrow from Overdrive via PocketBook's web browser (it will retain the password and it accepts bookmarks, so it's relatively easier, taking into account how slow eReader browsers are). Just download the ascm file and tap on it to download the book.

You can also use a smartphone or computer to borrow the book and use Send-To-PocketBook to send the ascm file to the PocketBook. This gets the ascm file to your PocketBook without any physical connections to your computer, smartphone or tablet. Again, just tap on the ascm file and it will download the book.

Or you can download the ascm file to your computer and, using your USB cable, copy it to your Download folder. And then just tap the ascm file and it will download your book.

There's also a DropBox app available. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming it could also be used for getting the ascm file to your PocketBook.

So no direct support for Overdrive, but lots of options. (All these methods also work for buying DRM ePubs from various eBook stores, like Kobo, Google Books, etc.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #132
ilweran
ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilweran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Mini, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
I got my Pocketbook Color from Sotel.

No problems, arrived here in the UK by UPS exactly a week after ordering. VAT invoice, tracking data sent on dispatch, courteous e-mail confirmations. I'd buy from them again given that experience. Indeed I intend to give positive feedback on Facebook to this effect.
Ordered mine on Sunday from Sotel, it arrived today. All tracking info etc. sent.

Pleased with the device itself so far. Added a few hundred books with no problems, works fine with Calibre. Despite being used to using the Kindle Voyage I'm not noticing the slightly recessed screen. The screen for monochrome text is not quite as nice as the Voyage, but that isn't bothering me particularly so far (I'm still using my Kindle Keyboard occasionally and the PB Color is a step up from that.)

The colour is nice enough, I'm glad I waited to see reviews/photos of it in use so I knew exactly what the colour images look like. Need to get some comics on there to try them out. I usually use my Chromebook for comics, that is slightly heavier than an ereader so the PB Color would give a lighter alternative with a larger screen than my phone.
ilweran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #133
Crowriver
Zealot
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova Pro, Max, reMarkable, Pocketbook Color, Yotaphone 1 & 2
Good to hear.

Pocketbook seems to produce genuinely decent devices.

One thing I have noticed though, and I assume this is a software bug: if in the midst of reading a book, you put the device to sleep (say by closing the cover) and it subsequently powers itself off, upon restart it opens the book but seems to go back a few pages earlier than where it was left. Not a huge issue, but slightly irritating. Hope it will get fixed in a future update.

Last edited by Crowriver; 08-13-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #134
scionmessenger
Enthusiast
scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Color PB633
Figured if anyone would get a kick out of my bootscreen for my pocketbook color, you guys would!
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/2...813201820.webp

[converted to attachment, as it wasn't showing up for me.]

Last edited by scionmessenger; 08-14-2020 at 06:44 PM.
scionmessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #135
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iliad, onhandpc, newton, zaurus
Received today my Pocketbook Color from sotel. Less than a week from ordering to having it in my hands!

As for first impressions:

Certainly the screen is a bit grayish, even a little darker than my old Sony PRS-950 ("Pearl" e-ink). That means that for indoor reading, even if you have indirect lighting, you will need to have the backlight on.

The backlight is too bright for my taste. Comparing with the kindle voyage, the pocketbook at it lowest setting is comparable to the voyage at 50% (note that I only want the backlight to brighten a bit the background; in the voyage I have it at 4%).

On the other hand, reading with sunlight is a pleasure, even in color.

I've done some photos in sunlight displaying a cbz comic (it's an european-format comic, so the letters are a little small in the pocketbook, but readable):

https://whereismybit.com/files/df78c...-066f0f8302ba/

I scanned those pages at 300dpi resulting on a image size 2491x3489, and the reader struggles a little when changing pages. I've yet to try reducing the resolution, perhaps that would be enough to make it more snappy. Also I've not checked yet if there are alternative cbz readers for the pocketbook.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote