Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #211
dunhill
Groupie
dunhill doesn't litterdunhill doesn't litterdunhill doesn't litter

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@dunhill: WHy are you running a windows version of calibre on linux??
I wanted to test it, the portables worked before, look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.png
Views:	67
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	181255  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #212
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@dunhill: Sorry that's not really a supported use case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #213
fitnesspm
fitnesspm began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10
Yes and that's where you specify which content server user you want the local viewer to sync with.

How? Can you give me detailed steps? There is more than one option there.
fitnesspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:49 AM   #214
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jony08 View Post
Sorry, forgot to upload the image.
Ah yes, fixed in next release.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:56 AM   #215
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnesspm View Post
Yes and that's where you specify which content server user you want the local viewer to sync with.

How? Can you give me detailed steps? There is more than one option there.
You were already answered by nqk: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=135
Advert
Old 08-12-2020, 05:50 AM   #216
nqk
Addict
nqk doesn't litternqk doesn't litter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
I think I can switch to Calibe Viewer for long time reading now. Of course there is room for further improvement but it is obvious now I can use the Brower Viewer to read in all devices that I have: phone, tablet, eink.

I will leave further feedback after reading a book or two.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #217
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

Device: none
I have the same issue with the "Note Dot" that jony has - many dots are showing up on blank lines, the start of paragraphs and even mid-sentence (and mid-word, for that matter).

Here's a screenshot of a single highlight/annotation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	notedot.png
Views:	49
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	181272

Its a great feature nonetheless!
nixsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #218
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@nixsee: It's already fixed for the next release.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #219
nqk
Addict

My tentative review of annotations.

1) It works well, even when the content server is not running. I'm testing Calibre 5 beta on my laptop, which is not online 24/7 and the content server URL is local. The good thing is that all the annotations I made in Browser Viewer are synced to the Main Viewer when the content-server is online again. Well, not synced right away. In fact, I had to make an extra annotation before the annotations appear in the Main Viewer.

2) Reading progress is not synced with Main Viewer. On another Browser Viewer, I could hit "sync" and everything is synced (of course, the Content server must be running at the time), but there is no such button on the Main Viewer, hence, unsynced reading progress.

3) Reading progress, on Browser Viewer, is reset to the beginning of chapter if re-accessed immediately from Home. Reading book A, tap Home, tap the book A again, it restarts reading from the beginning of the current chapter. Reading book A, tap Home, tap book B, it resumes reading of book B. I have opened a bug ticket for this. (I think this affects version 4.22 too).

4) Go-To menu in Browser Viewer has "Metadata" and "Book page in library", which seem to do the same thing. The latter only works when the Content Server is running though. I think we don't need the cached metadata in most of the cases. The "Book page in library" is enough, but it should show the cached metadata when the Content Server is disconnected. (Technically I have no idea if this is possible).

Last edited by nqk; 08-12-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #220
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@nqk:

1) Yes, currently annotations are sent from the browser viewer to the database only when they are changed. So if you change them when offline, they will be updated on the server only when you create a new one/delete one. I should maybe have the sync button do a two way sync of annotations.

2) Yes, syncing is implemented only for book,arks/highlights not last read position. It's not clear to me if it should be done for last read as well or not. It can be a bit disconcerting to have the last read position in the local viewer jump around for no obvious reason.

3) Doesnt happen for me are you going back to home immediately after scrolling? It takes a second or two for the new position to be saved after you scroll.

4) One is the format/book specific metadata, the other is the live library metadata, which can be different.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #221
nqk
Addict

3) I'm using default Paged Mode on Browser Viewer.
Here's what I did.

- Reading a book, let's say chapter 2, page 35
- Tap on the top area -> Tap on Home -> The "Continue reading..." page is now shown.
-a1) Tap on the left-most book (which means the current book) -> Chapter 2, Page 0 is now shown.
-a2) Tap on any other books --> Continue reading of that book correctly
Old 08-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #222
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

Device: none
Kovid, I just want to let you know that I'm finally using the annotations for actual reading/notetaking (rather than just beta testing) and I love it. Between the easy to use toolbar, customization, and the annotations sidebar, it is far better than the other tools for windows. It is exactly what I've been yearning for for 6 years. Combined with the rest of the existing powers, calibre is perfect for me now!

One quibble: can we someday manage our own folder structure? I joke
nixsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #223
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've found this one particular epub first failing in my own plugins and then realized it also failed when I tried to use the built-in Calibre viewer, Edit Book and convert, but only in the beta. Attached.

Trace:
Spoiler:
Code:
calibre 4.99.10 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 3.8.3
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: ColumnSum (2, 1, 0) && Count Pages (1, 10, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 10, 1) && EpubSplit (2, 9, 0) && FanFicFare (3, 22, 2) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 5) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 25) && Manage Series (1, 2, 9) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 1) && Quality Check (1, 10, 1) && Reading List (1, 6, 12) && SmartEject (2, 3, 0) && SplitMergeNew (0, 2, 0) && View Manager (1, 5, 6)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 2.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 141.35652173913041 x 141.4020618556701
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.02] Initializing db...
[0.05] db initialized
[0.05] Constructing main UI...
EpubMerge: DEBUG: 2020-08-17 19:28:57,767: calibre_plugins.epubmerge.epubmerge_plugin(157): macmenuhack file_path:C:\Users\retief\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
FFF: DEBUG: 2020-08-17 19:28:57,776: calibre_plugins.fanficfare_plugin.fff_plugin(210): Plugin FanFicFare macmenuhack file_path:C:\Users\retief\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
[2.27] main UI initialized...
[2.27] Started up in 2.27 seconds with 140 books
Worker Launch took: 0.17502617835998535
Worker Launch took: 0.25510096549987793
Job: 1 Convert book 1 of 1 (𝗜𝗡𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗠 ༄ 𝙽𝙰𝙻𝚄 (Ch 1-3)) finished
Convert book 1 of 1 (𝗜𝗡𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗠 ༄ 𝙽𝙰𝙻𝚄 (Ch 1-3))
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "runpy.py", line 194, in _run_module_as_main
          File "runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
          File "site.py", line 89, in <module>
          File "site.py", line 84, in main
          File "site.py", line 55, in run_entry_point
          File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 215, in main
          File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 41, in gui_convert_override
          File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 28, in gui_convert
          File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1049, in run
          File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 993, in setup_options
          File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 952, in read_user_metadata
          File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\opf2.py", line 595, in __init__
          File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\utils.py", line 46, in parse_opf
        ValueError: Not an OPF file

Unrelated: I bumped into some backward-compatibility weirdness when I ran an older Calibre(4.17 32bit) to check that attached epub really used to work.

When I tried to delete the book, I got this SQL error:
Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 4.17.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>SQLError</b>:SQLError: no such module: fts5

calibre 4.17  embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: EpubMerge (2, 10, 1) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 25) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 1) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 5) && SmartEject (2, 3, 0) && Count Pages (1, 10, 0) && Quality Check (1, 10, 1) && SplitMergeNew (0, 2, 0) && FanFicFare (3, 22, 2) && EpubSplit (2, 9, 0) && Reading List (1, 6, 12) && View Manager (1, 5, 6) && ColumnSum (2, 1, 0) && Manage Series (1, 2, 9)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\delete.py", line 405, in delete_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\delete.py", line 379, in do_library_delete
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 416, in delete_books_by_id
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1655, in remove_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1676, in remove_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 886, in executemany
  File "c:\t\t\apsw-cjr7a2yu\src\cursor.c", line 1136, in APSWCursor_executemany.sqlite3_prepare
  File "c:\t\t\apsw-cjr7a2yu\src\statementcache.c", line 386, in sqlite3_prepare
SQLError: SQLError: no such module: fts5

Apparently 4.99 changes the library DB in a non-compatible way?

(I realize I'm back a beta version, but my wifi and power are still down. Running on generator and cell data.)
Attached Files
File Type: epub __________________ ________ (C - 5sosgoofs.epub (226.2 KB, 14 views)
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #224
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I bumped into some backward-compatibility weirdness when I ran an older Calibre(4.17 32bit) to check that attached epub really used to work.
From the first post of this thread:

Quote:
the database structure has changed. You can run both calibre 4.20 and the betas on the same libraries, however, earlier releases may or may not work, so only run the betas if your main calibre is up-to-date at version 4.20 or newer.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #225
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@JimXinu: This takes care of it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...8494192f453aeb