Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #76
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...Why would one even want to split an omnibus ebook in the first place?
I'm in the process of splitting a 9 book omnibus right now. The original file was 11 MB....which is certainly not the largest I've ever seen, but it was too large for my tastes. Plus... I have multiple ebooks being read at a time (my personal books, ones I'm reading to the grandkids, reference books, etc.) and constantly switching between large epubs was really painful...in a milisecond-I-want-my-stuff-NOW kinda way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
...Well here's the problem with your spec:

How can you expect the plugin to find those p tags if those p tags have no associated unique string or id?
I certainly haven't looked at any kind of programming to do this... but, if there isn't a specific ID for the link to point at, then it defaults to the top of the page, doesn't it? So:
Code:
no ID = <body><h1 style="display:none" title="Howdy" />

just my .02
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
some of the more common use cases for me:
- splitting an omnibus
- creating an omnibus from previously published individual books
- adding new material to a previously published book (first chapter of a different book, as a preview; new introduction; etc.)
- cleaning up a book (from Project Gutenberg) which was very badly formatted to begin with.

As for the reason someone would have for doing any of these, in my case most of the time it's because that is what the client (a publisher) has hired me to do.
A publisher hires you to clean up Gutenberg books??

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-09-2020 at 10:08 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #78
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Indeed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:11 AM   #79
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I get paid to fixup/update Public Domain (or CC-BY) ebooks all the time + combine chapters from various sources.

Example: I've done dozens of "Best of Topic X" compilations. And just a few weeks ago I worked on a book that combined articles written over 40+ years.

Of course, I regex everything into clean/sensible code (headings) + normalize everything within a book to be consistent... but if you're less meticulous about your code...
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #80
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I get paid to fixup/update Public Domain (or CC-BY) ebooks all the time + combine chapters from various sources.

Example: I've done dozens of "Best of Topic X" compilations. And just a few weeks ago I worked on a book that combined articles written over 40+ years.

Of course, I regex everything into clean/sensible code (headings) + normalize everything within a book to be consistent... but if you're less meticulous about your code...
Yes, dear, but you're doing specific books for a specific entity. No?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #81
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
TOCSaver potential plugin

Okay, I finally got some time and took a shot at creating TOCSaver_v010.zip.

This plugin should be used when a TOC is not based on headings (or the headings have incomplete text) and it should inject in the right headings and update title attributes so that if a user regenerates the TOC using Sigil tools it will come back quite close to the original NCX TOC. Effectively saving the current TOC into the xhtml files itself as needed.

If using an epub3, this plugin only parses the ncx and therefore you must use Sigil's epub3 Tools to generate an NCX from an existing Nav before launching the plugin.

This should be considered alpha level.

@Mister L, Please give it a try and let me know if this is what you wanted.

If and when it seems to work well enough, I will add it to its own thread and the plugin index.

Hope this helps.

KevinH
Attached Files
File Type: zip TOCSaver_v010.zip (2.9 KB, 125 views)
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #82
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Okay, I finally got some time and took a shot at creating TOCSaver_v010.zip.

This plugin should be used when a TOC is not based on headings (or the headings have incomplete text) and it should inject in the right headings and update title attributes so that if a user regenerates the TOC using Sigil tools it will come back quite close to the original NCX TOC. Effectively saving the current TOC into the xhtml files itself as needed.

If using an epub3, this plugin only parses the ncx and therefore you must use Sigil's epub3 Tools to generate an NCX from an existing Nav before launching the plugin.

This should be considered alpha level.

@Mister L, Please give it a try and let me know if this is what you wanted.

If and when it seems to work well enough, I will add it to its own thread and the plugin index.

Hope this helps.

KevinH

Brilliant!!!!! Thank you so much for this! I've tried it out quickly on 3 files and so far it seems to work perfectly. I will try to test it further soon and report back if necessary but I think it is already definitely ready to be added in the plugin index.

I tested it on files which had:
- files listed in the toc with no headings at all in the xhtml page
- files with titles split over 2 h* tags in the xhtml page
- files with headings that were significantly different in the ncx to the text in the page (eg spans to fake smallcaps in the xhtml page, and sentence case in the toc).

It handled all of these cases exactly as it should.

This is really going to make some projects a lot easier, thank you so much for tackling the job, I really appreciate it. From some previous comments I think it will be useful for a lot of people.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #83
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Good to know. I will add an icon and make its own thread just in case there are others that might be interested.

Done: See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333097

Last edited by KevinH; 09-11-2020 at 11:56 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote