Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Poke2 is here!

This may be the best 6" reader I've ever used. It's definitely the lightest and the thinnest yet it doesn't flex. Seems to be really well built. The screen lighting is among the best. We all are already familiar with Onyx software so no surprises there.
For reference, I have a Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage, Kindle K3, Boox Poke (not pro) and a couple of inkbooks and I've had a Boyue, and a paperwhite in the 6" size.
Things I really like about the new Poke; the power button has a positive click feel, not a mushy push and it's located on top! That's a plus in my book. The back cover is a soft-ish plastic that's fairly grippy, at least it's not too slippery anyway. The already mentioned lightness and thinness and of course, being Android you can install other reader apps.
Anything I don't like? Well, the included case/cover, which is also incredibly light, is the stick-on style so it's not a simple act to install and remove anytime you want.
So far, I really like it and am glad I got it.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
joandr
Enthusiast
joandr began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Onyx Boox Nova, EnergyReader ProHD (Boyue)
Hello, is the battery really 1500 mAh ? it seems very little for an Android device (the other 6 inch android have rather 2500mah to 3000 and it is not too much). thank you.
joandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

I didn't open it up to verify and I haven't had the unit long enough to get a valid judgement on battery life. I'll update in a few weeks when I get a better idea about battery life.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Oh, and there's no 'back' button like the other Onyx readers. There is a 'back' command for the navigation ball app but that can take a little getting used to.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
I am ordering one as soon as they have stock back up from Onyx. I wish Amazon had them already. Glad to hear you like it!
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
RT Wolf
RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Looking for the right android e-ink tablet
Congrats! I'm waiting for some reviews/feedback on the battery life (mostly just if it's unusably small--3 days would still better than my current tablet) then I'll order it soon as it's in stock.
RT Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
kndlewis
Connoisseur

I know this is early, but I'm a heavy user--4-6 hours (at least) a day of actual reading and probably another 2-3 hours where it's sitting on, waiting for me to pick up and continue reading.
I unplugged it yesterday morning, maybe about 28 hours ago and it's been on (with light) for 14+ hours since then and it's showing 82% battery right now.
It looks like it's on par with other readers on the market. Doesn't seem to be much shorter life, anyway.
I don't use wifi much, just occasionally transferring books via calibre companion.

Last edited by kndlewis; 05-06-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I got it 10 hours ago, when it had 96% - since then only played around with WiFi, Bluetooth, Caliber Companion, transferred about 14,000 books.
Now he shows 89%
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
How does it compare with the non-pro Poke?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Completely different animal. I really don't know why they share the same name. Marketing reasons, I presume.
I like the 1st Poke but was disappointed that the warm and cool lights cannot be mixed. It's one or the other. The ads for this feature are a little misleading. I like that the 1st Poke is very light, even with the case. It is thicker than the Poke2 and it doesn't have a flush screen. The 1st Poke runs Android 4.4, I think. Speed of the 1st Poke was OK and the screen lighting is OK. Poke2 is better.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
Completely different animal. I really don't know why they share the same name. Marketing reasons, I presume.
I like the 1st Poke but was disappointed that the warm and cool lights cannot be mixed. It's one or the other. The ads for this feature are a little misleading. I like that the 1st Poke is very light, even with the case. It is thicker than the Poke2 and it doesn't have a flush screen. The 1st Poke runs Android 4.4, I think. Speed of the 1st Poke was OK and the screen lighting is OK. Poke2 is better.
I managed to mix the colors of the Onyx Boox Poke (not pro) using Plotn's version of CoolReader. It has a brightness and colour temperature slider at the edges. When you close this reading program the color temperature setting is maintained and can be used in other programs, although the settings cannot be changed. It is an imperfect solution, but it allows to improve the performance of the device.

I use the Poke (not Pro) exclusively to read with AlReaderX, the new version of the AlReader program that is still under development but already works very well, and with CoolReader (plotn), whose latest version incorporates KOReader's epub.css. Both reading programs are adapted to Onyx Boox devices and work perfectly with android 4.4.

However, the Onyx Boox Poke 2 looks great. The only drawback I see is its high price.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post

However, the Onyx Boox Poke 2 looks great. The only drawback I see is its high price.
Yes, but it's all relative. I read a lot and get the majority of books from our local library. So I justify the hardware expense. I realize the cost of the hardware is a consideration that everyone must justify for their own situation.
I'm still looking for the 'perfect' ereader, though this is close
Old 05-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
The missing "back / home" is very annoying.
It is only possible via the Android bar or via the navigation button - but there are more interesting uses for these 6 selection buttons.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Quote:
I managed to mix the colors of the Onyx Boox Poke (not pro) using Plotn's version of CoolReader. It has a brightness and colour temperature slider at the edges. When you close this reading program the color temperature setting is maintained and can be used in other programs, although the settings cannot be changed. It is an imperfect solution, but it allows to improve the performance of the device.
I'd be very interested in this solution if I didn't just get the Poke2
Old 05-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #15
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The missing "back / home" is very annoying.
It is only possible via the Android bar or via the navigation button - but there are more interesting uses for these 6 selection buttons.
Remember the nav ball goes to "home" with a double tap.