Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
LibraryThing Giveaways: Effective?

Has anyone found that the LibraryThing Member Giveaway is an effective way to pick up a few reviews?
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here's why I ask. I recently listed one of my novels on the LibraryThing member giveaway page. I offered 25 copies free for download, the understanding being that people who get a copy will at least consider providing a short review. The way this works is that LibraryThing members then sign up in what is essentially a raffle to win a free copy. Typically the number of entrants is greater than the number of books. That was true in my case as well. But I found that of the 25 winners, five actually downloaded the novel. I'm wondering if this is the usual experience or if something very particular is going on.
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Never tried one, so was hoping some peeps would reply to this thread who have....

Did the 5 that downloaded post reviews?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

Did the 5 that downloaded post reviews?
No, but I assume that could take several months if it happens at all. I was more surprised that people would enter this type of raffle, win, and then fail to claim the prize. I don't see why you'd bother in the first place. Then again, it's not the only aspect of publishing that's tough to figure, so there is at least that consolation.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Wingpeople
▲▲ Books with Altitude ▲▲
Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We gave away 10 copies of a new book in paperback, so I can't comment on the lack of downloads, but we were a bit disappointed with the response for reviews (which we requested in our description). We had 1 review out of the 10. Perhaps the other 9 never actually read the book -- who knows?

I suspect that when it comes to eBook offers, many people just sign up like crazy and don't really evaluate whether they're interested in a particular title until they are notified that they were chosen. It's unfortunate, because there may have been others who signed up who really were interested.

Like a lot of marketing techniques, sometimes it's just a hit-or-miss world. Good luck with your next effort!
Wingpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
You could offer copies of the book and ask for reviews in return. Make it clear you want good or bad reviews just so people will be honest.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No, I've never tried Librarything.

I gave away books on Goodreads.
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
MCoorlim
MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MCoorlim can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: all
Just a few days ago I blogged about my experiences with a LibraryThing Givaway.

The short of it: Gave away 150 copies, got 10 reviews, saw no change in sales as a result.
MCoorlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
scottmarlowe
Enthusiast
scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never tried LibraryThing, but I did a print giveaway on Goodreads not too long ago and, out of 10 books given away, I've gotten 1 (very good) review. Not a great return, IMO, but better than 0 out of 10!

Mine was still fairly recent, though, so it's possible ppl just haven't read yet. I might get more.
scottmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote