Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
cjcherryh
cjcherryh doesn't littercjcherryh doesn't litter

Device: computer
New here from Spokane WA

CJ Cherryh---I'm glad to find this forum. There's a lot I have to learn re e-books.
I live in Spokane, write fulltime, science fiction and fantasy; I figure skate, I garden---well, pond maintenance; and I enjoy travel. I'm active on the science fiction convention circuit.
I'm fairly computer savvy. I don't have a Kindle. I'm reading using my computer. I blog, I run a website. What else? Can't think of anything else. That's me.
cjcherryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, cjcherryh, and welcome to MobileRead.

Nice intro there.

You'll find lots of other writers here, check out the "writers corner"

Also, be sure and check out some of the free books here for you to download.

If you have questions about ebook readers, either look at this link

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

or ask questions.........we're a friendly group!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcherryh View Post
CJ Cherryh---I'm glad to find this forum. There's a lot I have to learn re e-books.
I live in Spokane, write fulltime, science fiction and fantasy; I figure skate, I garden---well, pond maintenance; and I enjoy travel. I'm active on the science fiction convention circuit.
I'm fairly computer savvy. I don't have a Kindle. I'm reading using my computer. I blog, I run a website. What else? Can't think of anything else. That's me.
Welcome to MR, CJ Cherryh!

We are always very appreciative of authors who participate and are willing to learn about ebooks. This is an international forum and you have probably noted that not everyone owns a Kindle

Please join in, ask questions, check out what the other authors on here are doing, and just plain have fun

P.S. "Fortress in the Eye of Time" was the first fantasy book I read.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I remember seeing you at Norwescon one year and I loved the advice you gave:

Figure out the worst thing you could do to a character: then do it.

Any mistakes are mine - but the idea was brilliant.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
cjcherryh

Smile thanks!

Thank you all for the kind welcome. So glad to find kindred spirits.

I'm using my laptop for an e-book reader, and am quite happy with the experience.

And with the laptop you get color, if there's any to be had.

A whole new world!
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi cjcherryh and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Thank you all for the kind welcome. So glad to find kindred spirits.

I'm using my laptop for an e-book reader, and am quite happy with the experience.

And with the laptop you get color, if there's any to be had.

A whole new world!
Likewise welcome, likewise I've seen you at Norwescon, (and I liked your brother's? artwork too...). Got a lot of your old paperbacks...

If you stick around, you will see a lot of discussion about formats, and what works where, and other such minutia. This is probably our best point to you, since you've got a fairly large backlist. As I recall, DAW hasn't been the most pro-active publisher about getting books into e-formats, but I don't know how much of that is "in the pipeline" versus just sitting around.

If you have something available to be sample, mention it here and a fair number of people will try it. If you have a known place where your backlist can be purchased, you'll also be popular.

Will we see more of your stuff through Baen?
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Welcome. Enjoy the forum.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Welcome to MobileRead, Carolyn. Does your writing give you time to do much reading? What type of books do you enjoy reading (other than your own, of course )?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Welcome, CJ!

Are you considering taking the plunge and purchasing what a dear friend of mine recently dubbed a ($300+) etch-a-sketch to read books on? Or is your interest in these forums more aimed at trying to get a better handle on the mysteries of the eBook market?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I started on a CJ Cherryh reading kick about two months ago, and now I can't stop!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome to the forum!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Welcome CJ! Always nice to seen an author on the forum. Now if we can just get Lawrence Watt-Evans over here...

I must confess I have not read your work in some time, but I did so frequently during the 80s; Cuckoo's Egg is a classic and deserved a Hugo, but the competition that year was insane: Ender's Game, The Postman, Footfall? No shame in losing that contest.

I also read several of the early Heroes in Hell books, because I felt it was a fascinating concept that you did not see explored much in speculative fiction at that time. A failed experiment, perhaps, but a very noble and worthy effort.

If I had a question, it would be along HarryT's line of thought: where do you find time to read, and what do you read?

Anyway, welcome to the forums and I highly recommend getting a Kindle or other portable eInk reader; they've completely improved my own reading experience!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I started on a CJ Cherryh reading kick about two months ago, and now I can't stop!
Try the Tree of Swords and Jewels. A good book by CJ Cherryh

NB. Sorry, To those at MR that Are offended that I made an opinion.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #15
cjcherryh

Thank you both!

Tags
fantasy, figure skating, pond, science fiction, writing