Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Downgrading firmware

I am starting to increasingly dislike the new home screen. The biggest thing I liked was the new status bar at the top.

I would like to downgrade to the highest update possible which has working browser downloads, working stats, the old homescreen, and no major issues. I have a Kobo Aura Edition 2. Which version should I downgrade to and which features will I lose?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Aura Edition 2
4.0.7523 - 4.2.8432 old home screen.
4.3.8842 - 4.3.9084 new home screen (can patched to the old home screen).

I think FW 4.2.8432 have the less issues.

Last edited by oren64; 10-17-2017 at 07:44 AM. Reason: edit post
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Ok, I have the same question that geek1011, but I have a Kobo Aura 2013.

Anybody, please? I'm stuck on firmware 3.12.1 and afraid to go beyond...

Thanks in advance,

Incanus
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you really have to have the old home screen? With the new menu, you don't really need the home screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Incanus
Incanus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you really have to have the old home screen? With the new menu, you don't really need the home screen.
For me, the problem is not the new homscreen per se.

Is the longer response time of almost every function that I've come to expect (and get) with the new home screen... on my Kobo Aura 2013, at least.

Incanus
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
For me, the problem is not the new homscreen per se.

Is the longer response time of almost every function that I've come to expect (and get) with the new home screen... on my Kobo Aura 2013, at least.

Incanus
Have you tried 4.6.9995? It's OK to me and I've used most firmware versions.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Incanus
Incanus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried 4.6.9995? It's OK to me and I've used most firmware versions.
Indeed I have, and made my comments on it.

So... "Good" firmware alternatives?

Incanus
Old 10-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
So... "Good" firmware alternatives?

Incanus
No idea; I'd suggest trying em all and see what makes YOU happy!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Incanus
Incanus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No idea; I'd suggest trying em all and see what makes YOU happy!
That's probably the most practical aproach indeed.

However, I've been having bad experiences with the latest three firmware, so I am looking for some expert advice...

...if at possible, of course.

Incanus
Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My expert advice says 4.6.9995.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Ok, I have the same question that geek1011, but I have a Kobo Aura 2013.

Anybody, please? I'm stuck on firmware 3.12.1 and afraid to go beyond...

Thanks in advance,

Incanus
I, too, am a big fan of 3.12.1 on my Aura, and I have had zero problems with freely upgrading and downgrading the firmware through sideloading.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You aren't actually stuck. 4.6.9995 can be installed.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I, too, am a big fan of 3.12.1 on my Aura, and I have had zero problems with freely upgrading and downgrading the firmware through sideloading.
Same here!

Other than 3.12.1 on an Aura 2013, what has been your better later firmware upgrade (old and/or new homescreen)?

Awaiting your kind reply,

Incanus
Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
On my original 6" Aura, I am running the 3.19.5761 FW and that is working well for me.

After making peace with the new homescreen on my KA1, I did try my 6" Aura on a later version of the FW. However, it experienced difficulties opening Chinese books no matter what font I chose or sideloaded. My KA1 did not have that difficulty. So I reverted to 3.19.5761 on my 6" Aura, but run a later version on my KA1.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have the Glo HD, but I'm very happy with firmware 4.2.8110 and 4.3.8966 and am staying there. Both have the old homescreen, but I believe 4.3.8966 has a chance to give you the new homescreen (no idea how they determined what readers got the new homescreen or not). If you use GeoffR's patches though (which I always do), you can disable it and keep the old homescreen. Both are responsive and no problems for me at all.

But as PeterT said, you might have to do some experimenting to find your preference. Fortunately, Kobo readers are easy to go back to older firmware.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote