Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #106
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatluckyguy View Post
I have KSM with koreader installed on my Aura One and I mainly use koreader. Is there any consideration when upgrading to this latest firmware? What's the correct procedure?
The procedure is as usual, see this post.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #107
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
My 2 cents on KA1: Yes, there clearly is a white line on the right hand side. Only visible on a black background, of course, but still...
And sluggish is almost an understatement: tap a menu item and it takes at least 15 seconds to get any response. Whether you do this from inside a book or from home doesn't make any difference. Never seen it as bad as this...
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #108
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
My 2 cents on KA1: Yes, there clearly is a white line on the right hand side. Only visible on a black background, of course, but still...
And sluggish is almost an understatement: tap a menu item and it takes at least 15 seconds to get any response. Whether you do this from inside a book or from home doesn't make any difference. Never seen it as bad as this...
Sluggishness in KA1? Not from my side, but small white line on the right hand side: yes
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #109
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Bartveld--Have you tried restarting your KA1 since the update?
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #110
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I see the white line too! But only when there's a dark background like the sleep screen. I wouldnever have noticed if it hadnt been pointed out here, but it's real all right.
Regarding the slowness, I only see it so far from within a book, and then not always.
Normal reading is fine, and I appreciated being able to make paging swipe-only, stops the mistaken page forward!
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #111
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware version 4.6.9960 - rollout stopped

Due to the problems with performance, Kobo have stopped the roll-out of firmware version 4.6.9960. They are looking at the problem. They have not said what their plans are for a replacement release.

The statement to the beta group was:

Quote:
When the (default) Recent sort is selected for the My Books view, that page is slow to load. The time increases with library size.
Similarly, device startup time, and loading the home screen can be slowed down compared to previous releases.
Their suggestions are:
Quote:
1) Select a sort option in My Books other than Recent, to speed up access to that view, or
2) Sync and/or back up side-loaded materials, then factory reset the device in order to get back to 4.5
My comments:
  • I think it will be safe to manually reinstall version 4.5.9587 over this release, but I haven't tried it. When doing this, I recommend taking a full copy of the user partition of the drive. This can be restored if there are any problems. If you do reinstall it, you do so at your own risk.
  • I suspect that it isn't only the Recent sort, but that might be the order that has the most problems.
  • 4.6.9960 is still on the server for manual download, but it will not be sent to any more devices during a sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #112
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Changing my books to sort by date added seems to have fixed a lot of the performance problems switching between views.

Switching to search is still slow, but not as bad as it was.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #113
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Bartveld--Have you tried restarting your KA1 since the update?
Yes, several times.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
I have 181 books on my H2O and it take 6 seconds to go from a book to my books with the sort at recent.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #115
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I haven't (yet) noticed any performance problems with my H2O. However, I also have a fairly small library (<300 books) compared to some others here.

In fact, epub page turning even feels a wee bit faster compared to the previous firmware I was on (4.4.something).

I also only read epub books, compared to others. Which may or may not make any difference.

Will monitor to see if there is any performance degradation.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #116
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The only major slowdown on my Glo since 4.5.9587 seems to be the longer boot time. Going from a book back to the to books list is slightly slower, but not enough to be annoying. I have about 1100 books loaded, about 750 sideloaded ePubs, the rest synced KePubs.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #117
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The only major slowdown on my Glo since 4.5.9587 seems to be the longer boot time. Going from a book back to the to books list is slightly slower, but not enough to be annoying. I have about 1100 books loaded, about 750 sideloaded ePubs, the rest synced KePubs.
Same here, and I like the new options, so I'll keep if at this moment. And as the subtitle appear as a new row, I can add the number of pages as subtitle, and not in the title, which I like a lot.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 10-07-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #118
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The extra books you have over me might explain the longer time it takes for you, but I'm surprised it is that much longer. And I would have expected that just after a restart it would be OK.

Other than reducing the number of books on the device, there probably isn't anything you can do until the next firmware version comes out.
I did a factory reset, side loaded firmware 4.6.9960. I synced to get the few books I have through the Kobo store. Everything seemed to be working fine. No lag in any of the menus or submenus.

I then side loaded the rest of my library with Calibre and the new class 10 SDcard. The problems returned.

I went back to 3.19.5761 and everything worked fine. I guess with 4.6.9960 there must be a point between 4000 books and 6437 books where this problem starts.

I know I could never read all these books, but I like having them on the Kobo. I use a random number generator to choose what book I will read next and get to read books I would normally skip.

Thanks for you input, davidfor.

I'm really quite happy with 3.19.5761, but when new versions come along with new features I get tempted.

By the way, I noticed no difference in performance or response on my H2O with the Class 10 micro SDcard over the Class 2.

Last edited by ElWorm; 10-07-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added comment about SDcard
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #119
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I think it will be safe to manually reinstall version 4.5.9587 over this release, but I haven't tried it.
I tried, without resetting to factory settings. Everything working fine.

Last edited by Semwize; 10-08-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #120
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
I tried, without resetting to factory settings. Everything is fine sort of.
"fine sort of"??????
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote