Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 PM   #16
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Yes, it's quite slow—but, like you said, page-turning is fast enough, and that's 99% of my use of the device. Question: Do pages turn more quickly if you tap the screen than if you press the button?
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Mildly annoying is that all sideloaded books "vanish" each time I connect it to my computer (which is frequent; I'm trying to concoct as good a set of Calibre conversion rules as I can, which necessitates testing).
How do you mean they 'vanish'?

When I connect either of my ereaders to my PC, I only tend to interact with them via Calibre (unless I'm sideloading fonts on my Kobo) so I may not be seeing the same things you do.

So far, I have had no issues with the Glowlight 3, aside from the delay in displaying sideloaded books (not quite the tens of seconds you mentioned, but it's not speedy).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm finding the Glowlight 3 to be the slowest reader I've used.
I warned you!

I do wonder, the Glowlight is so nice for the price: Is the sluggishness due to cut corners on the internals or poorly optimized software?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-04-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Yes, it's quite slow—but, like you said, page-turning is fast enough, and that's 99% of my use of the device. Question: Do pages turn more quickly if you tap the screen than if you press the button?
Barry's likely used the Glowlight 3 more than I have. But I do know that early on, tapping the screen was noticeably faster than using the page turn buttons.

The software updates seem to have smoothed that out a lot. I don't know if tapping and buttons are the same speed, but they are at least closer than they were.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Barry's likely used the Glowlight 3 more than I have. But I do know that early on, tapping the screen was noticeably faster than using the page turn buttons.

The software updates seem to have smoothed that out a lot. I don't know if tapping and buttons are the same speed, but they are at least closer than they were.
Are you using the beta? I'm running the latest current, but not the beta, and buttons are still slower. On the other hand, my screen seems to have broken in or something; text is much crisper after many page turns than it was when I first got the thing. So that's nice (and if I had to pick and choose, I'd definitely choose the latter).
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Are you using the beta? I'm running the latest current, but not the beta, and buttons are still slower. On the other hand, my screen seems to have broken in or something; text is much crisper after many page turns than it was when I first got the thing. So that's nice (and if I had to pick and choose, I'd definitely choose the latter).
I'm using the beta software and I'm also not using the Glowlight 3 day-to-day. It was a gift for my better half and she hasn't been reading lately, so my experience with it has been limited.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just played with mine a bit trying to see if the buttons are faster than swiping. I did both a number of times and I think I've decided swiping is a little faster but they're close enough I can't really be sure.

I am using the latest version I'm aware of of the beta firmware. I'm reading my current book on the Nook so I'm starting to get a feel for it. I like it a lot.

When I get out of the book and into the interface it's terribly slow. I'm going to guess it's due to the firmware since they seem to have sped up the page turns with the update. Maybe they'll speed up the rest of the system as well. But if they don't I don't really care that much because it's the reading experience that matters to me. The rest is less important.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
On the other hand, my screen seems to have broken in or something; text is much crisper after many page turns than it was when I first got the thing. So that's nice (and if I had to pick and choose, I'd definitely choose the latter).
Actually I've noticed the same phenomenon on both my Oasis readers. If I read every day, the text is very crisp and it will stay that way. But if I have gone a few days without reading, the text seems a bit faded at first. No idea what might cause this.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #24
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
You have to drop and drag your ebook into "my files" folder then they will show up.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, glowlight plus, nook