Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #4696
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yup. Thank goodness for libraries!
Libraries don't really fulfill my reading needs as they don't stock much in ebook/audiobook in science fiction or fantasy. I do read crime/mystery and they do fairly good on that mostly because the librarians read the same stuff. (I can't read paper books).

Paul, I sympathize. My late sister was a big reader and she also could not read in a car without getting queasy.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #4697
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Can I interest you in a self-driving car?
Near as I understand the discussions the politicians in this area have had about autonomous cars, the driver is going to be required to be paying attention and ready to override if needed when/if they are allowed on the local roads.

OTOH, we still don't have Uber/Lyft/whomever due to political issues with the taxi companies, security issues around criminal record checks and potential human rights issues. I find myself agreeing that Uber/Lyft/whomever are going to follow the same rules as the taxi companies. So full criminal record checks, compliance with human rights legislation, etc. which at the moment seem to be issues for Uber at least.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2018, 01:02 AM   #4698
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
LOL If i stopped buying books I can read non stop with what I already have probably for 3 years
Oh, I'd be good for at least a decade. Easily. If the power went out and I lost access to my ebooks, I could probably get a year out of just the dead ents piled up at the foot of my bed.

(counts, multiplies, estimates...)

Okay, maybe eight or nine months before I'd get into the boxes under the main stacks. The boxes would probably take up the rest of the year, but that's harder to estimate; there are several hardbacks in those. At any rate, food would become an issue long before then.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #4699
Karen_Bubblegum
Pulp Fictionista
Karen_Bubblegum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
“The writer Umberto Eco belongs to that small class of scholars who are encyclopedic, insightful, and nondull. He is the owner of a large personal library (containing thirty thousand books), and separates visitors into two categories: those who react with “Wow! Signore, professore dottore Eco, what a library you have ! How many of these books have you read?” and the others - a very small minority - who get the point that a private library is not an ego-boosting appendage but a research tool. Read books are far less valuable than unread ones. The library should contain as much of what you don’t know as your financial means, mortgage rates and the currently tight real-estate market allows you to put there. You will accumulate more knowledge and more books as you grow older, and the growing number of unread books on the shelves will look at you menancingly. Indeed, the more you know, the larger the rows of unread books. Let us call this collection of unread books an antilibrary.” - Nassim Nicholas Taleb, The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

Wow. Literally, my whole life before that I though, why buy and keep the books you haven't read/don't plan to start tonight!
And the reason to stack them up in bookcases would then be to lend them to people, or re-read when you're really bored.
Karen_Bubblegum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #4700
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
OK, I'm totally powerless over my addiction. I was doing well for the last couple of years, reading more than I acquired. But this year it's completely out of control. I've acquired >200 books already this year, and I'm not anywhere close to reading that many! In point of fact, I won't manage to read that many for the whole year.

Part of the problem is that I do count books that I get for free, either through the library, or because they're freebies of one sort or another. But while I could hide the problem a bit by not counting those, in fact they are books I want to read, not books that just fall my way. (I long ago stopped getting every freebie that came around!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 AM   #4701
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Which term do you prefer:
"tsundoku" (non-jugmental term meaning the art of buying reading material and letting it pile up) or "bibliomania" (passionate enthusiasm for collecting and possessing books)?
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:16 AM   #4702
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Oh clearly tsundoku. I'm not collecting and I don't care about possessing. I just can't read as many books in a year as I'd like to.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 AM   #4703
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
"tsundoku" (non-jugmental term meaning the art of buying reading material and letting it pile up) or "bibliomania" (passionate enthusiasm for collecting and possessing books)?
Bibliomania for me, I like it.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:48 AM   #4704
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Tsundoku for me and mine. Having a substantial stock of unread books is a boon in times of little money.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #4705
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Do unread magazines from 25 years ago count?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #4706
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I did horrible this last month and bought way too many books on sale. I will really try resist any sales this month. Except for the Star Trek sales lol I won't ever resist those. But if it's just some random book that looks interesting, I will resist. I have plenty of those already.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 07-31-2018 at 11:54 AM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #4707
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm doing OK. If I can hold out for another 7 hours or so, I'll end July 1 book ahead (8 in, 9 out), which will leave me 4 ahead for the year. Baby steps.

Although, like CRussel I am including loans and freebies. If I only count books I paid for, I'm 30 ahead, but then, quite a few of the ones I read were free, too (which is exactly why I do count them).
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #4708
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
No major problem taking it on an annual basis, as I've bought 14 books (or two per month) and spend $30 in cash. However, half of the books and more than half the cash went to purchases in only the last two months, which is a warning signal of sorts. While that's mostly attributable to promotional credits which need to be spent as they occur, I have to acknowledge having bought a relatively pricey book (and 20% of my outlay so far) on a book last month where the sale price created the want (and resulted in the purchase ). That was my big mistake on the year so far.

I do not count free books, borrows, or audiobooks, which means that with 14 purchases, my net TBR YTD reduction is only 14, despite having read 83 books. But at least the trend is in the right direction.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #4709
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Oh dear. It's all gone hideously wrong since my last post a few days ago.

August
Bought: 14 (£16.95)
TBR Drop: -14

What looks like a pricing error means I've bought 3 omnibuses containing a total of 16 books in the last two days. (I already had 4 of the books, and have also bought 2 other books, which is how it ends up at 14.)

I don't think I have much chance of earning that out before the end of August, even if I don't gain any more books. I might be able to get back ahead on the year, but so far I've broken even or better in every individual month of 2018. I don't think I even have many short stories and novellas left to cheat with.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #4710
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Bought one book already this month but it's from a favorite author and it's to be read next, so I think that's okay.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote