Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #211
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Is there any Lovecraftian Space Operas out there? Ancient unknowable terrors lurking in the darkness of space type thing. Off the top of my head I can't think of any.
The Pastel City by Harrison. Can't recommend the sequels, though I may try again. But the first is very good.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #212
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Read Banks.
The first book is so bad, it's not worth reading.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #213
demostar
demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demostar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I suggest:
The Martian by Andy Weir
So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane
The Lies of Locke Lamorra by Scott Lynch
demostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #214
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Anything by John Varley ought to fit the bill...
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #215
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Well I've read American Gods and I've read the Sandman graphic novels. What else should I be looking at from Gaiman?
Depends what you like. If you enjoyed American Gods, you'll probably like Anansi Boys. Coraline as well.

I'll second Good Omens.

Ocean at the End of the Lane and Stardust are sort of fairytale Fantasy. I love them myself.

He's a genius with many facets.

Neverwhere is sort of universally loved. The Graveyard Book is more a child's reading level, but I enjoyed it. Mirrormask seems to appeal to the same readers as Never where but I haven't read it yet.

I read a sample of Unnatural Creatures and plan to buy it soon.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #216
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"The Pastel City," by M. John Harrison is not available as an ebook - I think.

However, the novel is included in "Viriconium," which also collects additional novels in the series, and that IS available as an ebook.

Here's an excellent site that talks about the series:

https://www.blackgate.com/2013/03/16...ns-viriconium/

I read "The Pastel City" when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Below are some covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThePastelCity.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	156590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viriconium new.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	156591  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #217
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
However, the novel is included in "Viriconium," which also collects additional novels in the series, and that IS available as an ebook.
Have you a link please? All I can find is an audiobook, no ebook on either Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #218
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There are no ebook versions yet and they are out of print so you would have to get lucky at a used book store but some books I loved are Fool's Run by McKillip. It has an alien? living spaceship? something else? that is apparently sharing the mind of one of the characters. I also loved the Time's Master trilogy by Louise Cooper. The Gods of Chaos and Order are in perpetual war/balance. This trilogy is told from the point of view of One of the Avatars of Chaos who has taken human form and lost his memory.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #219
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Didn't think they were available as ebooks, but it could have been a case of geo-restriction. I have the print books anyway, ditto the Louise Coopers (along with the prequel).
Old 05-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #220
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Have you a link please? All I can find is an audiobook, no ebook on either Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com.

It's somewhat expensive, but here's the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Viriconium-M-...+john+harrison
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 AM   #221
maddz
Wizard

That explains it, the ebook edition is only available to US customers, not to UK. Grr.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:55 AM   #222
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
That explains it, the ebook edition is only available to US customers, not to UK. Grr.
On the other hand, a used paperback is as low as £2.64.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #223
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The first book is so bad, it's not worth reading.
I give you the Ship named Refreshingly Unconcerned With the Vulgar Exigencies of Veracity

Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:40 AM   #224
maddz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
On the other hand, a used paperback is as low as £2.64.
Already got the DTEs, some I've for many years. As we've got books in 2 bedrooms, hall & landing, sitting room, kitchen, attic and the converted garage, we're slowly replacing DTEs with ebooks. Ideally, we want to reduce the number of DTEs by 75% and only keep rare or collectible volumes.

This is why I find geo-restrictions on ebooks so frustrating, especially if the book in question isn't available electronically in the UK. It means I can't take advantage of Open Road Media sales.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #225
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Arthur C Clark Time Series and odyssey series. All his books and short stories are good.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote