Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
cartman
Connoisseur
cartman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505 (Blue)
Just got my new blue PRS-505 :D

Hello all,
I just got my new blue 505 reader, and after a few hours of playing with it i can report that it is absolutely awesome! The screen is something that makes most jaws drop, and i already have 2 friends that want to buy one too.

As i am from Greece i was worried about Greek support, but i am happy to report that greek texts display and reflow ok. With the default fonts Greek titles display problematically, as the letters that have an accent do not show correctly. Unfortunately this is not corrected by flashing the device with unicode fonts, instead Greek gets completely unreadable, so i had to reflash back to the original fonts.

I think that if Sony could make the 505 with a higher res (1024x768) 7" screen but without making the external dimensions larger (by omitting the numerical keys), the device would be perfect, as most A4 pdfs would display just ok without any cropping etc.

Other than that, i would like to say that i am a satisfied 505 owner, and of course very happy to join this incredible community

Last edited by cartman; 05-22-2009 at 07:54 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
Congrats on your new purchase

I felt the same way when I got mine, so happy with it and proudly showed it off to anyone who came near me
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
A fine choice. Contrary to what others will tell you, the blue is indeed faster and has a larger storage capacity than the boring colors.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats!

About the screen size, well, for now we pretty much have what we are going to get. The screens are from a 3rd party manufacturer, so they come in 2 or 3 sizes and just get inserted into the various devices.

Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Excellent choice of color!

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Congrats on the new reader!
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
cartman
Connoisseur
cartman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505 (Blue)
Its incredible to see people's reactions to this reader. Everybody is astounded by the extremely clear fonts and the perfect visibility even under direct sunlight. I think that everybody agrees that ebook readers will become the ipod of the next decade.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I find that people assume a reader screen will be like a computer screen. When they see the reality they're incredibly impressed. I can't believe how people react when they see mine! (And I describe my reader as an ipod for books when I meet people who have never heard of them!)
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Great choice. Enjoy your new toy!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
YAY!!! Another score for TEAM BLUE!!! Have fun with your new reader.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Congratulations on your purchase of a BLUE 505! Becareful until you get used to it, the Blue 505 makes you 75% better looking, 50% smarter and at least 3" taller. This is just a natural fact that has no explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
(And I describe my reader as an ipod for books when I meet people who have never heard of them!)
LOL That's exactly what I say when describing how it works.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
congratulations on your purchase! Glad you are so in love. I am also in love with mine, even though it's not blue (I was already 85% smarter and 90% better looking than the average person, so I bought the silver. The world can only handle so much grace...)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 AM   #13
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Go Blue !!
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm silver along with Grace Krispy--I'm already a 6'1" female--so no need to be any taller!

Cartman--Congrats on your new purchase! I'm sure you'll get a lot of good use out of it!

Happy reading!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
I just got my BLUE one today too

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8320716_cSC64
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote