Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kobo starts offering audiobooks

Don't have time to start looking into this now, but saw it and want to pass the basic info on to my fellow MR's...

Kobo has started offering audiobooks. $9.99 per month in the US for one credit ($12.99 in Canada) and they can be listened to in the Kobo app. Not sure if they can be downloaded separately or not yet (doesn't look like it) nor what the selection is like. Free trial available.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/audiobooks

Quote:
What’s included?

Your first audiobook is FREE and yours to keep

1 monthly credit after trial, good to exchange for an audiobook from our collection

Read your way to rewards with Kobo Super Points

Shop with confidence: Kobo offers a Price Match Guarantee

Enjoy your stories offline without interruptions or advertising

Keep all your audiobooks forever, even if you cancel your subscription
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	158863  

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-06-2017 at 01:01 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Don't have time to start looking into this now, but saw it and want to pass the basic info on to my fellow MR's...

Kobo has started offering audiobooks. $9.99 per month in the US for one credit ($12.99 in Canada) and they can be listened to in the Kobo app. Not sure if they can be downloaded separately or not yet (doesn't look like it) nor what the selection is like. Free trial available.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/audiobooks
Thanks

See this post for additional details about the subscription plan.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 04:24 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe Kobo's next Reader will support audio.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Awesome news! I immediately signed up and got an audiobook.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Awesome news! I immediately signed up and got an audiobook.
Oh, good, a guinea pig! Please let us know what you think of the app. Comparisons to the majors (Audible, OverDrive, Downpour, Hoopla) would be very nice.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which devices can I listen to audiobooks on?

Quote:
You can listen to audiobooks with the free Kobo App on smartphones and tablets running Android version 4.4 or higher or iOS version 9.0 or higher.

Audiobooks cannot be played:
  • on kobo.com
  • in Kobo Desktop
  • in the Kobo App for Windows or BlackBerry
  • on Kobo eReaders
  • on Kobo Arc 7, 7HD or 10HD tablets
Old 09-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As an aside, reading a book in the android app is awful....none of the customizations I am used to on their readers!

I found an audio book I wanted (searching takes a few steps to narrow it down), and clicked on start free trial. My payment details are already there, so didn't have to re-enter any of that. Turns out that gave me one credit, it didn't automatically make me get that book. I re-navigated to that title, and clicked the button indicating I would use my credit. After confirmation, it immediately began downloading to the phone. Quickly downloaded. I started listening, and turned off wi-fi. You can change the speed of the narration, and look at the TOC. All seems well, so far.

Any questions?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
You can change the speed of the narration, and look at the TOC. All seems well, so far.

Any questions?
Sleep timer? What are the gradations on the speed? And, thanks!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
As an aside, reading a book in the android app is awful....none of the customizations I am used to on their readers!

I found an audio book I wanted (searching takes a few steps to narrow it down), and clicked on start free trial. My payment details are already there, so didn't have to re-enter any of that. Turns out that gave me one credit, it didn't automatically make me get that book. I re-navigated to that title, and clicked the button indicating I would use my credit. After confirmation, it immediately began downloading to the phone. Quickly downloaded. I started listening, and turned off wi-fi. You can change the speed of the narration, and look at the TOC. All seems well, so far.

Any questions?
Once a book is downloaded, can you transfer the files to an mp3 player?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes there is a sleep timer.

After beginning to listen again, (offline) the cover no longer shows.

Speed goes in .2x increments from .06x to 3.0x.

At the top it says "around 14 hours left in this book."
Near the bottom it has a timer counting up the time in the current chapter. The book I got doesn't have real chapter names (i.e. Chapter 1) but I assume that would be above the count up. There is also a moving graphic at the bottom of lines (sort of like piano keys) which slowly move right to left, I guess indicating that the book is playing.

Going back to the library page makes the book stop.

There is no "download" option on the desktop library page. I doubt if there is any way to put it on an mp3 player.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-06-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Once a book is downloaded, can you transfer the files to an mp3 player?
Books only play on Android and iOS apps. I'm not thrilled with that.

Downloading to other devices would require "liberating the book"if that's possible.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm wondering if on Android it's like the Audibooks.com app and stores actual MP3 files which you can then copy off the device and use elsewhere. Gonna have to dig out my old LG Volt and look into that later.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm wondering if on Android it's like the Audibooks.com app and stores actual MP3 files which you can then copy off the device and use elsewhere. Gonna have to dig out my old LG Volt and look into that later.
Yes, that's what I am hoping. I'm eyeing a 50-hour book for my free trial, but if I'm forced to listen on my phone, I would get a much shorter book.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

As soon as I can find a book I'll try out the Android thing. Of course the book I was figuring I'd get is from Brilliance Audio who's titles they don't appear to have at all. Gonna have to look around some...

EDIT: Well if someone doesn't get it checked out sooner I will do it, but it'll be awhile. Have spent the last half-hour and nothing that I've looked for so far is available as an audiobook on Kobo (I'm looking on Audible and then checking Kobo, because Kobo's search still kinda sucks after all these years).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-06-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Brilliance Audio is owned by Amazon (since 2007) - so I wonder if that's playing into why their content is not available.
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote