Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2020, 11:41 PM   #511
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSmint View Post
  • Edit the XML File to my liking, set aliases, rename, add or delete stuff
What are you doing to the XML file to set aliases? If I remember right, aliases don't/can't come from the XML at all, just from the \ext\ASIN.aliases file.

Quote:
My solution was, to turn Case Sensitivity on for every Entry in the List. As a result all corresponding errors were gone instantly. Your searching script now ignored - as intended - all the occurrences within other words. So my suggestion would be to make case sensitivity the standard option.
Aha, yes! That would do it. Characters should be case-sensitive by default so I'll fix that in the UI and in the X-Ray to XML extraction.

Quote:
And now the bug, aliases for Settings won't get saved. A Person's alias is saved in the .aliases file oder "ext", a Setting's is not. Neither in that file nor in the XML. So it's basically ignored alltogether. I had to rename the Places instead of using aliases.
Yeah I never thought that anyone would want aliases for settings/topics, so they're ignored when the aliases file is written, I'll fix that.

I've uploaded a new version that should allow you to use the aliases for topics and do case sensitive by default. It's surprisingly painful to make the form resize properly, so that'll come later. I'll look into the aliases in XML as well.

I'm also working on a better source for term names & descriptions, though aliases will still be an issue

Last edited by Ephemerality; 04-21-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #512
NoSmint
NoSmint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
What are you doing to the XML file to set aliases? If I remember right, aliases don't/can't come from the XML at all, just from the \ext\ASIN.aliases file.
You're right of course. That part was confusingly written. I load the XML into your Terms Editor and make the adjustments there, not the XML file itself.

Quote:
Aha, yes! That would do it. Characters should be case-sensitive by default so I'll fix that in the UI and in the X-Ray to XML extraction.
Right, thats a workaround. But I digged a little deeper and wrote you a PM last night. Maybe that gets a little more to the bottom of things if you want to have a look?

Thanks for the quick fix.
NoSmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #513
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just uploaded a new "master" version to the first post.
There have been many changes since the old one was released, but most notably:
* KFX support has been added thanks to jhowell's KFX in/output plugins
* A new data source called Roentgen is available that may have more terms available than Goodreads depending on the book

Last edited by Ephemerality; 05-30-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #514
Pred17
Pred17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
I've just uploaded a new "master" version to the first post.
There have been many changes since the old one was released, but most notably:
* KFX support has been added thanks to jhowell's KFX in/output plugins
* A new data source called Roentgen is available that may have more terms available than Goodreads depending on the book
Just a quick question, where does the Roentgen option pull it's data from?
Pred17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #515
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred17 View Post
Just a quick question, where does the Roentgen option pull it's data from?
Compiled from various sources, most often is Wikipedia
Old 07-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #516
Marauder1
Marauder1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Where can I find updated instructions ssince Shelfari no longer exists?

I asume they may be somewhere int he 35 pages of this post, but I've not found them.
Marauder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #517
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder1 View Post

I asume they may be somewhere int he 35 pages of this post, but I've not found them.
You cannot have searched very hard. Or tried anything yourself.

They are in the very first post... As usual...
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #518
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:

There are some basic updated ones in the first post under "May 2020 Note".
Is there a specific part you're having trouble with? It's tough writing good instructions when you already know how to use the app
Old 07-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #519
Marauder1

Just a few questions from the instructions:

"May 2020 Note
These instructions are outdated and may not be entirely accurate anymore.
I'll try to update them at some point...

In general you should be able to:

Open the book (ideally fix the ASIN if it prompts & successfully finds the book on Amazon)
Click the search button to get the Goodreads link
Click the checkmark "1-click" button to start building all files
Answer the prompts during the build process
Either everything worked or the log will show what went wrong (depending on how many terms were found you may want to switch sources)"

In step one, do you mean I should open the book as if to read it? Or?

Where is the search button?

Where is the "1-click" button?

I do understand that it can be VERY difficult to write instructions when you are so familiar with the program. I used to help write and debug programs back when machine language, assembly and even C+ were around. And I helped the other coders debug programs and write instruction manuals.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #520
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Just a few questions from the instructions:
In step one, do you mean I should open the book as if to read it? Or?

Where is the search button?

Where is the "1-click" button?

I do understand that it can be VERY difficult to write instructions when you are so familiar with the program. I used to help write and debug programs back when machine language, assembly and even C+ were around. And I helped the other coders debug programs and write instruction manuals.
Here's a brief gif of those 3 steps (ignore the fact that Tick Tock is already opened in frame 1, the app auto-opens the last book you were dealing with): https://imgur.com/a/b6ZiAD0
Also excuse the lack of a progress bar for some of the steps that make it seem like it's not doing anything I'll have to fix those...

Worth noting that while it found a whole bunch of terms via the Roentgen service that I had selected as a data source, it didn't find a pre-made end actions file so it had to download the info from Amazon (that's why it took extra long).

It also included the behaviour of opening a book with an invalid ASIN that it was then able to fix by finding the correct one on Amazon.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #521
warbrd
warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.warbrd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Any plans to add LibraryThing support? Seems better that Goodreads for getting metadata like people/places/events.
warbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #522
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbrd View Post
Any plans to add LibraryThing support? Seems better that Goodreads for getting metadata like people/places/events.
I had never heard of that site, but it does seem like a good source. I'll see what I can do!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #523
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Any plans to update the plugin with respect to python 3.x?
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #524
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Any plans to update the plugin with respect to python 3.x?
Yeah, I noticed that it was broken last week and started working on it. Not sure how long it'll be though.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #525
Marauder1

Thanks

Quote:
Here's a brief gif of those 3 steps (ignore the fact that Tick Tock is already opened in frame 1, the app auto-opens the last book you were dealing with): https://imgur.com/a/b6ZiAD0
Also excuse the lack of a progress bar for some of the steps that make it seem like it's not doing anything I'll have to fix those...
Thanks. That was a big help. I might finally figure this out..

Tags
x-ray