Device: Kobo Aura edition 2
I'm getting the following error when trying to transfer books to my Kobo:

calibre, version 3.46.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 593, in _upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 399, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2087, in upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 313, in _modify_epub
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 89, in expanduser
TypeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
snowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #1892
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@snowstone:
  • Did you follow the advice given to you by davidfor earlier?
  • Did you install the beta of the KoboTouchExtended driver from post #1885 in this thread as was recommended at that time?
  • Have you installed the updated driver linked in the first message in this thread?
  • Have you installed the updated plugin when calibre informed you of it's existence?

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2019 at 06:57 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #1893
snowstone
Connoisseur
snowstone doesn't littersnowstone doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@snowstone: Did you follow the advice given to you by davidfor earlier? Did you install the beta of the KoboTouchExtended driver from post #1885 in this thread as was recommended at that time? Or have you installed the updated driver linked in the first message in this thread?
I installed the beta, but don't know why, when I got back to calibre, the plugin was gone, so I installed from the plugin window. Got the error, downloaded the beta again, restarted calibre, and it told me to update the plugin. :S
Old 07-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #1894
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstone View Post
I installed the beta, but don't know why, when I got back to calibre, the plugin was gone, so I installed from the plugin window. Got the error, downloaded the beta again, restarted calibre, and it told me to update the plugin. :S
The disappearing plugins seems to be happening more frequently than in past. I suspect that moving calibre from python2 to python3 is causing some behind the scene glitches as well as the ones that are more noticeable.

If you are still seeing the issue with the latest update, I'd suggest uninstalling the driver, deleting the configuration files and then re-installing the driver. Easiest way to get to the configuration files is to open calibre's preferences, browse down to miscellaneous and then click on the Open calibre configuration directory button. Look for two files named device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py and device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py.json and delete them. If only the .py.json file is there, delete that one. You will need to re-configure any driver customization after the re-installation.

Good luck!

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2019 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Fat fingered typos... what else is old?
Old 07-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #1895
snowstone
Connoisseur
snowstone doesn't littersnowstone doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The disappearing plugins seems to be happening more frequently than in past. I suspect that moving calibre from python2 to python3 is causing some behind the scene glitches as well as the ones that are more noticeable.

If you are still seeing the issue with the latest update, I'd suggest uninstalling the driver, deleting the configuration files and then re-installing the driver. Easiest way to get to the configuration files is to open calibre's preferences, browse down to miscellaneous and then click on the Open calibre configuration directory button. Look for two files named device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py and device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py.json and delete them. If only the .py.json file is there, delete that one. You will need to re-configure any driver customization after the re-installation.

Good luck!
Is there any way to backup the customization? The last time I did it was when I first installed the plugin, I think in 2013. I don't remember all the steps I took, but I remember it took some time to get everything just right.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #1896
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Is there any way to backup the customization? The last time I did it was when I first installed the plugin, I think in 2013. I don't remember all the steps I took, but I remember it took some time to get everything just right.
You could try looking through the customization of the driver prior to removing it or you could copy the .py file to a different folder and look at it with a text editor as you check the customization after the driver install. Most of my customization consisted of setting up the save template and I have that duplicated in the standard KoboTouch driver so didn't worry about losing anything.

An alternative might be to delete only the .py.json file and see if the customization from the .py file is propagated to the new .py.json file when you restart calibre after installing the updated driver. I haven't tested this procedure though it seems somewhat logical that it would work. Just tried this and the .py.json file was recreated when I opened the driver customization. As far as I could tell, the few customizations I use were copied over.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:54 AM   #1897
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The files that we mentioned are the configuration for the driver. Taking a copy of those is backing them up. Taking a copy of the directory they are in is a way to backup the full calibre configuration.

But, the problem is a combination of calibre version, driver version and what is in the configuration file. Deleting the .py.json file and using the latest release of the plugin with any version of calibre other than 3.45, should solve the problem. Otherwise, the only choice is to delete both device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py and device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py.json files and start again. The device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py is reasonably readable, so you should be able to work out the configuration from that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #1898
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
what do I lose by unchecking "Enable Extended Kobo Features"?

Question 1: What do I lose by unchecking "Enable Extended Kobo Features"?

All of the books on my Kobo are either from Amazon and converted in Calibre or are epubs downloaded from Project Gutenberg and its ilk. There is a problem that either davidfor or DNSB explained to me that I was experiencing where if a book doesn't have a cover then the margins are wacko, due to the spans added by the driver. So I reverted back to the vanilla Kobo driver.

I decided to try re-enabling the extended driver and unticking the Enable Extended Kobo Features and that solves the problem. I was wondering if I lose any other features besides the spans, which I don't think I utilize in any event.

Question 2: What's an easy way to delete the many books I'd previously uploaded with the extended driver that are in kepub format?

I'm on Windows so I could do "dir *.kepub.epub /s/b" to generate a list and then edit it and add a del to the beginning of each line. Can I simply do that? And if so should I do anything after that to clean up or mend any metadata or whatnot on the device?

And is that extension .kepub.epub correct? I was expecting them to have the extension .kepub.

Last edited by lumpynose; 07-28-2019 at 01:52 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #1899
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
You get a few cleanup functions but basically lose the entire point of this driver. If you don't want the extended Kobo features at all I would recommend removing this driver, using the vanilla KoboTouch driver, and using other extensions which implement cleanup functions.

Quote:
All of the books on my Kobo are either from Amazon and converted in Calibre or are epubs downloaded from Project Gutenberg and its ilk. There is a problem that either davidfor or DNSB explained to me that I was experiencing where if a book doesn't have a cover then the margins are wacko, due to the spans added by the driver.
Have you tried installing the Generate Cover plugin and using that to create covers?

Quote:
I was wondering if I lose any other features besides the spans, which I don't think I utilize in any event.
The Kobo device uses them internally for anything requiring location within a chapter.

Quote:
Question 2: What's an easy way to delete the many books I'd previously uploaded with the extended driver that are in kepub format?
Connect the device to calibre, open the device view (click the Device button that appears in the toolbar after the device is detected), highlight them all, and press the Delete key on your keyboard. If you're not sure which is which you could just delete them all then re-send the books you want.

Quote:
And is that extension .kepub.epub correct? I was expecting them to have the extension .kepub.
Calibre stores the files internally as .kepub, but calibre only supports single extension files. The correct extension for a KePub file is indeed the double .kepub.epub extension. This allows seamless compatibility with any other ePub-capable reader (assuming you get a book without DRM of course).
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #1900
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
You get a few cleanup functions but basically lose the entire point of this driver. If you don't want the extended Kobo features at all I would recommend removing this driver, using the vanilla KoboTouch driver, and using other extensions which implement cleanup functions.
Which cleanup functions aren't turned off when you turn off the extended functions? The only one I can think of is setting the image id where it is missing in the database.

It would be good to reorder or group the options. That would show more clearly how they are related.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #1901
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

All of the books on my Kobo are either from Amazon and converted in Calibre or are epubs downloaded from Project Gutenberg and its ilk. There is a problem that either davidfor or DNSB explained to me that I was experiencing where if a book doesn't have a cover then the margins are wacko, due to the spans added by the driver. So I reverted back to the vanilla Kobo driver.

I decided to try re-enabling the extended driver and unticking the Enable Extended Kobo Features and that solves the problem. I was wondering if I lose any other features besides the spans, which I don't think I utilize in any event.
As @jgoguen said, the spans are sort of the reason for the plugin. You don't use them, the firmware does.

A simple solution to the cover problem is to do a Polish Books or use the Modify ePub plugin to add the cover. Or run a full conversion (which I don't think is that bad an idea for most PG sourced books). They can all add the cover you have downloaded to the book. Or any that calibre has generated.
Quote:

I'm on Windows so I could do "dir *.kepub.epub /s/b" to generate a list and then edit it and add a del to the beginning of each line. Can I simply do that? And if so should I do anything after that to clean up or mend any metadata or whatnot on the device?

That would work and doesn't need anything else done. When you disconnect the device, the firmware will see that books are missing and do the cleanup in the database and of any covers.

But, the way I do this is from the library in calibre. I'm usually deleting a second copy on the device because I have ended up with both epub and kepub versions. What I do is select the books I want to remove and press the "Delete books" icon. If the device is connected, you get prompted with where to delete them from. Select device. Then I go through the list uncheck the versions I want to keep. It isn't very practical when doing a lot of books, but, I am usually only removing a few because I had the wrong driver active when sending some books.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #1902
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll look at the Generate Cover and Modify ePub plugins. I have the latter installed but overlooked/missed its generate cover capability.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:46 AM   #1903
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ok, thanks guys. I'll look at the Generate Cover and Modify ePub plugins. I have the latter installed but overlooked/missed its generate cover capability.
There are two 'Generate Cover' tools; 1) a built-in tool that can be invoked from the Metadata Edit dialogues; b) an optional plugin named Generate Cover, the only thing it shares with Modify Epub is that they were written by the same person.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 AM   #1904
lumpynose
Wizard

Thanks guys, now I'm more confused than I was previously.

I installed the Generate Cover plugin, which makes nice covers. But it only makes the jpg cover file and puts it in the folder that Calibre has the epub in. It doesn't modify the epub file and add the cover to it.

But the Kobo extended driver has the option for uploading covers, which I turned on. After uploading the book the epub file size on the Kobo is larger, and opening the epub on the Kobo with Sigil shows the cover.jpg file in the Images directory and Sigil says it's a Cover Image. But when I unplug the Kobo and open the epub on the Kobo with its ereader the margins are still hosed.

So then I tried using the Modify ePub plugin. It adds the image to the epub and also creates a titlepage.xhtml file and when that is sent to the Kobo everything is fine; no wacko margins. But there's an annoying waste of space with the Modify ePub plugin because it creates a copy of the cover.jpg named cover.jpeg, which is what it uses for the titlepage.xhtml file, and then it puts both cover.jpg and cover.jpeg in the Images folder in the epub.

KoboUtilities has a thing to clean the images directory of extra images but it doesn't affect the epub file. The Quality Check plugin has things for checking for missing covers but that only looks for the cover.jpg files in the folder the epub is in within Calibre's library.

So I'm somewhat mystified about the cover.jpg file in the Calibre folders. Apparently Calibre generates one when an epub is added (an epub that doesn't have a cover image) and uses the text from the first page or so.

I'm also wondering if you guys realized that it would be a two step process to properly add a cover with the titlepage.xhtml file, which solves the margin problem. Having an image marked as a cover is insufficient; it needs the titlepage.xhtml as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:09 AM   #1905
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@lumpynose - below you see a very basic Book. I created the cover with metadata edit Generate Cover. Update metadata in calibre does not touch the book files - this is a deliberate design decision. Hence the cover is not in the epub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-07-29 174123.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	172642

When I run Modify with Insert or replace cover checked I get a book with a cover page and ONE image file -- cover.jpeg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-07-29 174818.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	172644

When calibre sends books to devices or saves them to disk it provides the option to send/save with the current metadata embedded in the format sent - including covers. Hence for many calibre users there is no need to update the library copy.

I know less that nothing about Kobo; so, I'll let others address the issues related to that particular device

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, kobo aura one