Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
cscoley
cscoley began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
Custom column that lists date AND time a book is added

Hello,
Is there a way to create a column that shows both date and time a book is added? I need to be able to see what time books were added especially when they are added on the same day.
Thank you in advance for your help.
cscoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
The default date/timestamp column already stores this information. You just need to change how it's displayed. The help window shows you how you can customize the display format. I normally just use iso format for timestamp and last modified.

Preferences - Tweaks - Control how dates are displayed

Code:
gui_timestamp_display_format = 'iso'
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
cscoley
cscoley began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The default date/timestamp column already stores this information. You just need to change how it's displayed. The help window shows you how you can customize the display format. I normally just use iso format for timestamp and last modified.

Preferences - Tweaks - Control how dates are displayed

Code:
gui_timestamp_display_format = 'iso'

Thank you so much!!!!!
cscoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Why didn't this work for me? I always get 00:00 for the time part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	436
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	171189
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post

Attachment 171189
How do you insert the data in the field?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
How do you insert the data in the field?
If I understand your question, it's the Template field in that Edit Custom Column window. I used the field last_modified, after eyeballing the bottom of this page:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...plate_ref.html

Reading this page

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html

with several trial-and-error attempts led me to the template I used.

For the custom column, after I clicked the green +, for the Column Type I selected Column built from other columns.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Attachment 171189
I just tried it with Template Tester. It seems the template uses the display value of last_modified so if you don't have it set to show the time (via tweak), then the template only has the date available.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I just tried it with Template Tester. It seems the template uses the display value of last_modified so if you don't have it set to show the time (via tweak), then the template only has the date available.
And of course I didn't know about (and use) the Template Tester, I just kept changing my custom column and restarting calibre.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
And of course I didn't know about (and use) the Template Tester, I just kept changing my custom column and restarting calibre.
Don't sweat it. I started using Calibre ten years ago and I only learned about Template Tester last year.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
lumpynose
Wizard

It's kind of annoying that some useful things are hidden away and, as far as I can tell, only accessible by reconfiguring the main toolbar or adding a menubar.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's kind of annoying that some useful things are hidden away and, as far as I can tell, only accessible by reconfiguring the main toolbar or adding a menubar.
Of course, how do you want them to be accesible? I would hate a menu with ALL the options, and what you can find useful another person can find it superfluous.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Of course, how do you want them to be accesible? I would hate a menu with ALL the options, and what you can find useful another person can find it superfluous.
The thing at the top is a button bar, not a menu. They don't need to be added to the button bar at the top.

A pull down / drop down menu next to the Saved search thing on the right, named All Commands or something, with Exit at the bottom. Or perhaps a button in the button bar named All Commands.

Last edited by lumpynose; 05-01-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The thing at the top is a button bar, not a menu. They don't needed to be added to the button bar at the top.

A pull down / drop down menu next to the Saved search thing on the right, named All Commands or something, with Exit at the bottom. Or perhaps a button in the button bar named All Commands.
I think it can be too long but anyway, you can put a request for it.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
That would be convenient. Something text-based similar to the Firefox/Chrome (hamburger menu button) where you can see a fixed menu showing all Calibre commands. Then a submenu for Plugins where you can update/add new plugins as well as submenus (inside the Plugins submenu) for each installed plugin.

You can add a menubar to Calibre but unfortunately, it doesn't provide a way to group commands into submenus. Hence, the menubar actually ends up being less space efficient than the main toolbar if you add all available Calibre commands.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #15
lumpynose
Wizard

Yeah, I tried the menubar and couldn't really see any advantage to using it for anything, unless you made the button bar empty.

Tags
calibre, custom column, custom columns, date added, time added