Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How many collections do you have?

For some reason, I had this weird idea that all the collections had to fit on one screen. Last night, I did some re-ordering and now have more than one screen. But I am much happier. I had some collections before that had upwards of 200 books (I was categorizing by source) so they certainly were not helpful in filtering what I wanted to read! Now that I had subdivided some of those (and moved all the magazine back issues onto the iPad so I can read them during school breaks) I am much happier. I now have about 15 collections: by source, and then a few author collections for those where there are a lot of books. So, other Kindle owners, how many collections for you?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm creating one collection per author, or one per series, where a series has multiple authors. About 40 collections and 200 books so far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Ditto to Harry - I'm creating categories by author or series, then large "dump" categories for what's left: British Fiction, Non-Fiction (Computer), etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Don't have a Kindle, but I did see that the collections are the same as the reading lists in mobipocket (at least, with the same disadvantages of not being able to create collections within collections). And I use 3. Read, Unread, Reading...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I haven't used the collections on Kindle nearly as much as I thought I would - hardly at all actually. I usually have a couple of books going at a time, and collections simply make it harder to find the book I want to read. So, so far, I have only 5 broad collections for those books I want to have on the device no matter what.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Unread Pile
Finished Pile
Junk

Simple and works for me. I only have around 60-65 books on my Kindle.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why bother with "junk", as a matter of interest? Why not just delete the book?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
For some reason, I had this weird idea that all the collections had to fit on one screen. Last night, I did some re-ordering and now have more than one screen. But I am much happier. I had some collections before that had upwards of 200 books (I was categorizing by source) so they certainly were not helpful in filtering what I wanted to read! Now that I had subdivided some of those (and moved all the magazine back issues onto the iPad so I can read them during school breaks) I am much happier. I now have about 15 collections: by source, and then a few author collections for those where there are a lot of books. So, other Kindle owners, how many collections for you?
I think collections should fit on one screen, also. But I have a couple collections I don't wish to appear on the first screen, and I find the second screen useful for adding books waiting to be put in a collection (especially now that I can add them wirelessly through Calibre). This creates a problem. I refused to put Palin's autobiography in Nonfiction, because she paints herself as an intellectual, so it had to go in Political and Fiction.

Here are my collections on my first page:

Fiction (for modern fiction)
NonFiction
Currently Reading
Already Read
Anthologies
Mystery and Suspense
Contemporary Romance
Political
Historical Romance
Samples

Second page is Archived Items (500), books waiting to be put in collections, newspaper feeds (which come automatically from Calibre) and a collection not to be named.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 08-30-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
In my library, I have 125 series and 227 authors. I haven't started making my collections yet (busy weekend and had a few issues with indexing), but I figure it will be about 150-200. I know that is a lot, though not bad considering that is down from 750+ books.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why bother with "junk", as a matter of interest? Why not just delete the book?
Probably my stupidity, I'm sure, but I have the dictionaries in there. I was afraid that if I deleted them, the built in dictionaries wouldn't work. I'm sure that is 1000000% wrong though, so I should just go ahead and ditch it.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, my misunderstanding - I thought you meant "junk" as in "books I thought were junk". No, I wouldn't delete the dictionaries if I were you; I imagine that would stop them from working.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Quake1028
Guru

Hmmmm, maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought .
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have zero collections. It just doesn't make sense for the 7 or 8 books that I keep on there at a time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It would be nice if the order could be reversed so collections show up on the last page. That way I could have the 2-3 "currently reading" books and a handful of samples on the first page. As it is now, the collections get in the way for quickly accessing books on the first page.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm creating one collection per author, or one per series, where a series has multiple authors. About 40 collections and 200 books so far.
Pretty much the same here, although I do have a few genre collections where I put books that I only have one or two for an author and also a TBR/Reading collection.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote