Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #46
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Hm, is this new firmware? I was reading today in full sunlight, and suddenly got a thermometer icon and message I had to wait for the Nook to cool down to resume reading.
That's a new one to me. How hot was it?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #47
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Same as anything you might have sitting in direct sunlight on a warm day -- I"d call it hot to the touch, but not scary hot.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2019, 02:53 AM   #48
WillowWild
WillowWild began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
I've joined this forum just because of how many problems I've been having with my Glowlight 3 since the firmware update.

Note: I pretty much exclusively use it to sideload library books.

1st... My Nook was getting corrupted over and over, the only solution being a factory reset each time.

Then I thought I might have fixed it, by deregistering/reregisering it from Adobe Digital Editions (the program I usually utilize.) I also didn't reload the book I thought may or may not have been corrupting it?

However, I started having I guess a minor issue, in that the screen won't refresh by tapping.

Today I've tried to load a couple new library books, and one of them didn't appear. That's been a longstanding issue from before the update, which I could usually get around by loading it from AN OLD VERSION of Calibre. (A newer version would corrupt everything.)

So... I tried that trick, but then none of my library books would open, and I got an error message. Luckily the whole device wasn't corrupted, but I had to delete the books and reload them to get them to work again (aside from the previously unloadable one.)

I went to see if maybe there was an update to the update of the firmware, but I'm getting "Check for System Update Failed, please try again later."

I guess I might try the newest version of Calibre again later? This is such a headache, though.
WillowWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #49
WillowWild
WillowWild began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
I'm not sure if my long post last night was altogether necessary. After hours of trying many things, I updated Adobe Digital Editions from 3.0-ish to whatever is most current, and finally the missing library book has transferred successfully.

I will update in a week or two if everything holds! I just didn't want anyone to spend time replying to my previous post, in case the problem is solved?
WillowWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My Plus (2015) keeps failing to update. Not sure why. On the home page, the cute little rocket pops up telling me an update is available, I touch the button to start the process, but the update fails every time.
I got back and am playing with my Plus (2015). I had the same "failing to update" issue you have. Finally got it to "take" by clicking the "All" tab on the top and then clicking the Install button. I may have just been lucky though. This is the 4.9.5.5 update, not the 5.x mentioned in another post. I think the upgrade is worth it as it seems to be quicker. When I loaded in a book before the little dots kept going for a bit, not it's one or two dots and done.

I'm going to do a "my impression" post but, since that's more general, I'll do it separately.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #51
hank
Dinosaur

Seems to me so far like the new firmware has fixed the problems losing sideloaded books after deleting one or two, and also fixed the problem with the many hours long delay forgetting all the books after sideloading new books, before restoring the list of books.

I'm slowly trying the occasional delete and sideloading more than a few at a time, and so far the response has been correct and quick.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I got back and am playing with my Plus (2015).

I'm going to do a "my impression" post but, since that's more general, I'll do it separately.
Right on. I'm curious to see what you think. My only issues with the Plus is I wish it had more space available (I filled the 2.5GB) and I just prefer Kobo's OS.

Quote:
I had the same "failing to update" issue you have. Finally got it to "take" by clicking the "All" tab on the top and then clicking the Install button. I may have just been lucky though.
I'll give it a shot. The Plus is just fine as is really. At this point I'm just annoyed that it keeps telling me there's an update, but then it won't update.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #53
hank
Dinosaur

Well the new firmware has, no surprise, a bug. They fixed the "deletes everything" problem, and now the Nook won't, ever, delete anything. It claims it will, it warns it will, it says it did, but nope, the books are still there. The little circling-arrows icon to reset the book list doesn't update the contents.

Bother.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Well the new firmware has, no surprise, a bug. They fixed the "deletes everything" problem, and now the Nook won't, ever, delete anything. It claims it will, it warns it will, it says it did, but nope, the books are still there. The little circling-arrows icon to reset the book list doesn't update the contents.

Bother.
Odd. I just tested a side-loaded book on mine and (at first) it still showed it, but when I tried to open the book it couldn't. When I went back to the library it was gone. So, delayed reaction (I guess) but it did delete the book.

EDIT: When I opened my Nook via my computer, the cover art and metadata remained, but not the book itself. I deleted the complete folder, copied the book back and everything seems to be working.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-15-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:29 AM   #55
hank
Dinosaur

> When I went back to the library it was gone. So, delayed reaction
>(I guess) but it did delete the book

Hm. Not seeing that delayed response on mine.
I"ll look into the folders on the (Mac) desktop and see what remains there.

I sure wish the new owners of BN would put some of their millions toward beta testing.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #56
StanleyP
StanleyP began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The update to the Glowlight 3 seems to have killed ADM Rights on my mother's GL3.

Prior to the update, the Nook mostly accepted library books and was registered. With the update, it deregistered itself.

Now all attempts to add back the missing Adobe ID results in an "Unfortunately, Nook has stopped." error message.

Any advice on how to proceed? Rebooting it hasn't done anything.
StanleyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #57
Sheilafitz
Sheilafitz began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3
Glowlight 3 Software update

When I do a "Check For System Updates" on the device, it says:

"Check for system updated failed. Please try again."

I'm not sure if this needs to be updated. I haven't found anything unusual with it.My books synch. If I buy off of site it goes right to my nook. Never buy off of the nook, just because I just don't. So I don't know if that works. The saying "Don't fix what's broken" is exactly how I feel.

I've been trying to find a way to update manually but can't find the link. B&N site just keeps telling me to do it over wifi. And I spoke to one over the phone. No help at all. Just kept telling me it was my wifi. No wonder B&N is the way they are.
Not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Here's what my about page is

Model: BNRV520
Serial no:
App Version:49.2.3.6/4.9.5.5
shop version:3.4.8.6.
readouts version:5.0.0.9
Synced date Oct 16 2019
Sheilafitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilafitz View Post

I had the same issue with my 2015 Glowlight Plus. For me, I had the hard drive too full.

Is your device pretty full?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 AM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilafitz View Post

Quote:
I had the same issue with my 2015 Glowlight Plus. For me, I had the hard drive too full.

Is your device pretty full?
Once I got mine to upgrade I didn't have the issue any more — UNTIL the other night when I read Sheilafitz had this issue (on my Glowlight Plus (2015)). Then I got the same error. Now it's back to telling me that my Reader is up to date.

"Up to date" on the Glowlight Plus (6") is, apparently, 5.0.118 / 5.0.5.35
Old 11-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #60
Tappa Key
Tappa Key began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GL3 - Kobo Clara HD
Smile Glowlight 3 Has an Update

Quote:
A couple of questions, sorry if they are dumb:
  • Is the new firmware only for the new Glowlight Plus? Anyone have it show up on the Plus (2015) or Glowlight 3?
  • If it's available on those earlier models, any noticeable improvement? Is the 3 more stable? Any new or returning features (aside from screensavers disappearing)?
My GL3 updated 2 nights ago. Response and startup is very fast. Seems faster than my Kobo ClaraHD. New set of bookshelves with more ways to search those books. A big improvement. Seems the update can only be done via wifi.
Tappa Key is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, features, firmware, nook