Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-13-2024, 02:53 PM   #1831
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The metaphor of "desktop", "folder" and such, underlying most windows-like desktop operating environments. It is the standard term, IIRC.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...sktop-metaphor

So extending the common folder metaphor to "zip compressed folders" seems appropriate to me considering how they are most commonly used.
ApK
It's a folder icon for the underlying directory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:46 PM   #1832
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The metaphor of "desktop", "folder" and such, underlying most windows-like desktop operating environments. It is the standard term, IIRC.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...sktop-metaphor
Gotcha. I'd never heard it referred to that in way before.

Quote:
So extending the common folder metaphor to "zip compressed folders" seems appropriate to me considering how they are most commonly used.
ApK
I disagree. It may be how most people see/use it, but that has little to do with whether or not it was appropriate for Microsoft to encourage the use case in the first place. It may have become appropriate (though I'd suggest the word "commonplace" over appropriate). It's just my opinion that it shouldn't have. The icons they chose are just as blameworthy for conflating the two non-alike things.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-13-2024 at 03:49 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 03:54 PM   #1833
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The newer release incorporates the existing code. There is no code not in the current 10.0.9.
Yes. That is true for the newer alpha version of 10.0.9.

I objected to your statement that it was true for the beta version. The beta version is from last August, not December. As a stickler for exact terminology you should appreciate the difference.

Quote:
The beta was released December 21, 2023.
Untrue.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:10 PM   #1834
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I disagree. It may be how most people see/use it, but that has little to do with whether or not it was appropriate for Microsoft to encourage the use case in the first place. It may have become appropriate (though I'd suggest the word "commonplace" over appropriate). It's just my opinion that it shouldn't have. The icons they chose are just as blameworthy for conflating the two non-alike things.
Yes. Commonplace =/= Appropriate.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:13 PM   #1835
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sorry, but incorrect. The beta was released December 21, 2023. The 3 month old code was put out in December 2023 before the beta was made available. Some of the code was commuted on the 21st of December and some before.
You've got to get your terminology straight, Jon. The 10.0.9 beta release was released on 2023-Aug-01. The latest 10.0.9 alpha version from the auto-releases page generated from the last code changes on the repo was 2023-Dec-21.

Alternately, you can just download the code from the master branch and (assuming you have Python installed) run make_release.py to generate your own package.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 04:26 PM   #1836
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The reason for a ZIP is plugins are packages (containers) with many pieces.
Is there a STANDARD for 'pkg' (or any other) that works on all OS?
You missed my point. So just to be clear I'm suggesting this:

Keep the plugins as zips BUT give them a different file extension, say .calibreplugin.

Keeping the zip format means Calibre can still use the same unzip code as it does currently for accessing the plugin.

It also means Calibre can only allow a user to add files with the .calibreplugin extension to be added as plugins.

Finally it means that a user is really unlikely to try unzipping the plugin by double-clicking it.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:28 PM   #1837
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I disagree. It may be how most people see/use it, but that has little to do with whether or not it was appropriate for Microsoft to encourage the use case in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes. Commonplace =/= Appropriate.
This reminds me a bit of the "descriptive/prescriptive" argument about the role of dictionaries.

I'm OK agreeing to disagree on the appropriateness of the OS treating zips as folders. I really don't have a dog in the fight, other than to note that I remember that when Windows started treating zips like folders, questions from users about how to get files out of zip archives dropped off considerably, and the majority of even my own interaction with zips is served well by the way Windows handles them. For the other ~20% of my use cases, I have 7zip.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 03-13-2024 at 04:31 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:31 PM   #1838
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm OK agreeing to disagree on the appropriateness of treating zips as folders. I really don't have a dog in the fight
Same. I've said my piece.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:34 PM   #1839
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
You missed my point. So just to be clear I'm suggesting this:

Keep the plugins as zips BUT give them a different file extension, say .calibreplugin.

Keeping the zip format means Calibre can still use the same unzip code as it does currently for accessing the plugin.

It also means Calibre can only allow a user to add files with the .calibreplugin extension to be added as plugins.

Finally it means that a user is really unlikely to try unzipping the plugin by double-clicking it.

Sound reasonable to me.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:46 PM   #1840
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post

That's what epubs do / are.

The .calibreplugin is a bit long and .cpi is used up already. Maybe .cpin as an ending?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:39 PM   #1841
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, the released 10.0.9 is RC1, not a beta. The alpha is a newer version based on newer code. The alpha should be RC2 or 10.1.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:11 PM   #1842
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Actually, the released 10.0.9 is RC1, not a beta.
The description of that release states, “this is a beta / RC release before v10.1.0 is released.” So it is both.

Quote:
The alpha should be RC2 or 10.1.0.
From the statement above clearly NoDRM in August meant for version 10.1.0 to be a “real” release, not a beta or release candidate.

I don’t know why, but the plan changed and as things are set up now any future changes will automatically cause a new 10.0.9 alpha release to be generated. There is no indication that NoDRM plans to ever make any further actual releases at this point.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:52 PM   #1843
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Actually, the released 10.0.9 is RC1, not a beta. The alpha is a newer version based on newer code. The alpha should be RC2 or 10.1.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The description of that release states, “this is a beta / RC release before v10.1.0 is released.” So it is both.
Do you actually think that a published statement by the repository owner is more authoritative than a proclamation by the all seeing all knowing JSWolf?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:56 PM   #1844
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do you actually think that a published statement by the repository owner is more authoritative than a proclamation by the all seeing all knowing JSWolf?
I should feel shame at allowing NoDRM to mislead me in that way.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:59 PM   #1845
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Some of the code was commuted on the 21st of December and some before.

"Commuted", huh?
For somebody who likes to jump down other people's throats for minor typos, you sure do live in a glass house filled with black pots'n'kettles.

jmurphy
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote