Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Aluratek firmware on the jetBook -- Success!

Thanks to the help of sokbas, I was able to remove the checks in the Aluratek firmware upgrade process! There were a few lines of code that were added (compared to the jetBook firmware) checking for various numbers (presumably in the serial, though perhaps in the NOR flash).

I removed the offending lines, created an archive, re-encrypted it, and flashed! Now I am running the Aluratek firmware on my jetBook and having fun seeing the difference in features. PDF reflow is there! I'll report back more soon.

I could also perhaps post some pictures or my custom firmware file, but it would have to be with a large disclaimer (use at your own risk!). Nevertheless, the firmware upgrade process went without a hitch.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Please, please, please post a copy somewhere!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking of you, Nate.

Let me just make sure it is stable. I flashed once and it seems a bit funny at times... and it won't open ePUB. A PRC file I opened had the remnants of jetBook software (percentage in title bar, which I don't think is normal for the Libre). I'm going to try a second flash since it always took me two flashes with the Chinese firmware.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru

OK, the second flash didn't change anything, but it appears that some ePUB files will open while others won't. I'm going to check if redownloading the offenders makes any difference -- I have had problems in the past with files on my SD card getting corrupted.

There are small margins and page numbers in the sides. Is this an indication of ADE? What exactly should I do to test it? (I have no experience yet with ADE devices or buying ePUB DRM).
Old 12-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
OK, the second flash didn't change anything, but it appears that some ePUB files will open while others won't. I'm going to check if redownloading the offenders makes any difference -- I have had problems in the past with files on my SD card getting corrupted.

There are small margins and page numbers in the sides. Is this an indication of ADE? What exactly should I do to test it? (I have no experience yet with ADE devices or buying ePUB DRM).
Yep. That sounds like DE.
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru

OK, ePUB works! Looks like it was a problem with my ePUB's. I had edited a few ePUB's manually and re-zipped them. The ePUB zip had an extra folder (i.e. Sherlock Holmes.epub\Sherlock Holmes\context inside). These didn't bother the jetBook, but the Libre firmware doesn't like it. As far as I can tell it uses FBReader for some file types and ADE? for ePUB.

I checked the picture viewing function, the music function... all is well! However, when I try to flash with the original firmware, it still fails. This makes me think that it's checking for something in the serial number, but it doesn't explain why Nate's Libre turned jetBook couldn't flash back. Hmmm...

EDIT: Maybe reflash_nor would let me flash the normal Aluratek firmware.

Nate, how can I test DRM?

Last edited by Kralik; 12-12-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Nate, how can I test DRM?
Try to get Adobe DE to recognize your Libre.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Try to get Adobe DE to recognize your Libre.
Well, it isn't popping up anything whether I start ADE first or plug in the "Libre" (jetBook) first. The interface is a bit scarce so I don't know where to look for settings.

In the meantime, I am uploading the firmware. With ADE on my computer I can confirm that the jetBook is using ADE for ePUB's. Still no hyperlinks though, which is sad.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru

OK, here's a link!

http://drop.io/jetBookLibre

The filename is ebook-AluratekBook-v0.15h. The jetBook/Dr. Easy firmwares will always look for ebook-*.bin, while the current Aluratek firmware looks for AluratekBook*.bin. So... it needs to have the ebook- prefix. If you were to flash to the jetBook firmware, most likely you'd need to rename it from ebook-99-JL04-v0.33g to AluratekBook-99-JL04-v0.33g.

After the first flash, it booted, but didn't display the menus - just a tiny square in the middle of the screen. I could get to the book listings using the shortcut keys. So, I reset, and then all was good. I don't think a second flash is necessary. However, if you did want to try a second flash, you'd then need to remove the ebook- prefix.

The only thing I did was remove the checks that were causing the failure and then repackage the files. I was very careful to preserve the Linux file permissions, username/group, and regenerate md5sums.

DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Since I don't use the jetBook's search/dictionary features, I may stick with the Libre firmware. I like the PDF handling (reflow options) and the auto-resizing of ePUB images (on the jetBook, title pages won't fit in the screen. Note my avatar: Sherlock's head is chopped off. Libre shows entire image, scaled).

Last edited by Kralik; 12-12-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Kralik
Guru

Just a quick warning: read LuBiB's thread. It might be difficult or risky to try to get to the jetBook firmware from the Aluratek firmware, period, whether you have a Libre or jetBook. We both had similar freezing experiences going Libre-->jetBook, and his Libre is still bricked.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Kralik,
Did were you able to work under windows? If so what windows tools did you use?

I changed to the Aluratek software for my jetBook but really don't care for the font sizes in epub and I miss using the directional pad for changing the page, so I am wanting to modifiy the jetBook firmware so I can flash it back.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Kralik
Guru

I had to use andLinux (run Linux under windows) so I could access Linux tools like aespipe and preserve the Linux permissions. Perhaps when I have time I could try adding the file that Aluratek is looking for to the Ectaco firmware so a flashback can work (the file name is JL09 and it is empty -- 0 bytes -- just a placeholder).
Old 12-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

andLinux looks interesting but says on runs on 32 bit Vista and I have 64 bit. I do have a Linux mythtv server in the basement... so I may try with that. If you do get around to adding that extra file to the firmware, please let me know and post a link. It may be some time before I get a chance to mess with it. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Kralik
Guru

So has nobody tried converting to Libre? Would it help if I posted pictures?

tselling, in your Libre firmware, do PDF's display Table of Contents? In mine I get numbers and no text.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
tselling
Addict

I only have one pdf handy: Invisible Prey. It shows garbage or blank for the chapter names but has the page numbers. Different garbage depending on what I did before pulling up the table of contents (ie. changing zoom or orientation).