Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
RTF to ePub, Chapters

In my RTF file, I have chapters marked with:

1.) "Chapter 1" (etc.)
2.) Page break before "Chapter 1" (etc.)
3.) Bold text. (body text not bold)
4.) 14 pt. text (body text 12 pt.)

When converting to ePub, Calibre cannot detect that these are chapter markers. It treats them like all other text.

At what point is a piece of text marked "Chapter 1" actually treated as a chapter? What else do I need to add to force Calibre to recognize these?

(Also, after converting, I find that "cursor position = 8" has been inserted into the ePub body text before every chapter marker.)
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Do these chapter headings work in the document before conversion?
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I don't understand the question. If you could amplify, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warpig View Post

At what point is a piece of text marked "Chapter 1" actually treated as a chapter? What else do I need to add to force Calibre to recognize these?
Hi Daddy,

If you have access to MSWord, try this.
  • Mark your RTF chapters with the built-in MSWord style "Heading 2" and re-save the RTF.

• Then when you do the conversion to epub, in [Convert] - [Structure Detection] set "Detect Chapters" to "//h:h2" (without the quotes)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hi Daddy,

If you have access to MSWord, try this.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try.
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe

I don't understand the question. If you could amplify, I'd appreciate it.
Sorry, I meant that if the chapter headings will not go to the chapter in the word processing program you are using then they will not go there in another program. It has to be working in original document for Calibre to convert it.
You have to specify that they are a toc entry somehow in whatever Word processing program you are using. I flail around a lot when I am trying to do this but eventually get it done
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
You have to specify that they are a toc entry somehow in whatever Word processing program you are using. I flail around a lot when I am trying to do this but eventually get it done
Thanks for the suggestion and the clarification.