Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Iriver Story firmware to go opensource

According to Iriver's site, iRiver has made Story's firmware open source: http://www.iriver.com/opensource.html

Implications:

Pros:
We may finally see some real improvements made to the firmware by the community of users. BUT given the fact that it is not a product that has a wide audience, I doubt we are going to see any changes soon. Besides, where do we find the non-official upgrades?

Cons:
iRiver may be taking a less active approach in upgrading the firmware from this point on, leaving the upgrades to the community. The promise by iRiver's management that there would be an English dictionary is probably not going to be fulfilled.

Comments, anyone?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
I think this will be a good step. I would like to look at the source code.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
futzle
futzle began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
According to Iriver's site, iRiver has made Story's firmware open source
Comments, anyone?
Hmm. I'm not sure that iRiver is quite fully complying with the GPL yet. They provide the source of the GPL'd bits of the software for us to download and modify, but they don't provide the mechanism for building a custom firmware with those modifications à la section 3 of the GPL:

Quote:
For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable.
The encryption password for the zipfile that makes up the firmware *.hex file would be a good start.
futzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Has anyone yet managed to build the firmware from the provided sources?
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
jimmetry
jimmetry began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Hmmm. I feel like I found a dark corner of the internet. Hi!

Two questions:
1 - What would having the hex password give us? I don't quite understand the firmware upgrade process.
2 - Are these things going to end up sold dirt cheap...? >_> Because I want more of them.
jimmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmetry View Post
What would having the hex password give us?
For the Story HD, it gives you the mods that are already there, and not much else. You can find the info in the openinkpot wiki.

(The title of this thread is overly optimistic, the iriver firmware is anything but OpenSource, and for the Story HD in particular there is no known recovery method, so experiments will lead to irreversible brickage).

Quote:
Are these things going to end up sold dirt cheap...?
In US, the Story HD was available for $49 for a time.

Otherwise try your luck on Ebay.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
jimmetry
jimmetry began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Ehhh, from what I gather this is an entirely generic Freescale setup. I am looking through their datasheet and the functions they talk about sound a lot like what was mentioned in the EEV teardown. I am exploring their source and hope to find something useful soon.
jimmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well. If you find something that actually WORKS, please let me know.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote