Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Ravenspath
Ravenspath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Series question

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it with a search.

I have finally started updating the series metadata since the number of books and series I have in calibre is getting larger.

When I enter the series name and number I am getting that plus a 1 in [] so it looks like this.

Jax 1 [1]
Jax 2 [1]
Jax 3 [1]

What is the purpose of the number in the brackets? I have preferences set to use roman numerals but that does not seem to do anything. Can someone explain the correct and best way to use the series field?

Thank you.
Ravenspath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The number in brackets is the number within the series. Looking at your example you have created three different series. I would have expected them to all be in the Series "Jax" with the index varying from 1 to 3.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Ravenspath

Thank you itmpi. I see what I did wrong now. Your help is much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Yeah as itimpi says they are the number of the book in the series.

In Calbire on the metadata window where it says Series: you should enter the series name, for instance I have all the starfist books so my series is called Starfist Series.

Then under this there should be a box saying Book 1.00, this is the number in the brackets and means it is the 1st book in the Starfist series. Use the arrows next to it to increase this number.

So for example if I was editing the metadata for Book 4 in the Starfist Series it would look like this:

Series: Starfist Series
Book 4.00

I also put the book number in the Title of the book for easy referencing.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Ravenspath

AFK_Matrix, very helpful as well! Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
While a book can only have 1 series, it can have multiple tags. This is really handy as well.

So you have your series 'Jax' and each book numbered 1,2,3. You can also add additional tags that you can view in your collection view. For example, you could tag books as 'Sci-fi' or 'Favorites' or 'February Reads'.

I use it to collect series together. For example, books by different authors and different series but under the same shared world. Comes in very handy.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote