Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Mulder
Mulder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is the Official Kindle 6" Leather Case Safe To Use?

I just received my Kindle and I think It's great. I also ordered the official Amazon Leather Cover for my new 6" Kindle. I figured since it was the official cover produced by Amazon, it should fine.

I immediately put my Kindle into the cover. I thought it looked great and felt great while using my Kindle. I really like the look and feel of the cover.

I then stumbled upon many posts on the Amazon site who had problems with the cover cracking their Kindles.

I'm very careful about not opening cover from the back and gently fold the front cover back when reading.

Out of worry, I subsequently ordered the Patagonia cover because I like the idea of using my Kindle while still in a protective cover.

I began to wonder with the cracking issue, why hasn't Amazon remedied the issue by fixing the cover? Why do they continue to sell it?

Am I overreacting? Is it a very small minority that are having the problem with the cover because of misuse?
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I use several cases on the K2, including the original Amazon leather version. Although there have been many threads on the subject I have never experienced any problems whatsoever with the design. Four of my colleagues use the cover with their Kindles and have never had a problem.

That said, I can see that there could be a problem for those that aren't as careful with items or handle things differently than I do but not enough to warrant concern. But then some complain when their Kindles do not survive a fall on the floor. A little common sense goes a long way.

My guess is that there are far more satisfied users of the leather case who do not post their opinions.

My suggestion is to give it a try and, if not completely satisfied, let Amazon know why and return it.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

I agree with Skydog; it's all in how you take care of your things. I just bought my Kindle and the original case too and read the same reviews you read about the cracking. (1) Look how many reviews there are (SEVERAL!) and look at the score; and (2) most of the people who complained about cracking said that they tried to open their case from the back, thus cracking it. There is an emblem on the front of the case - if for no other reason, that should show people where the front is. Some people are careless and will place the blame on someone else every chance they get. I suspect we'll be fine with our cases, if for no other reason than we know what the complaint is.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Mulder

Thanks for your replies. Reading your posts alleviates my concern. I'll continue to use the cover (in the meantime I'm waiting for the Patagonia cover).
You're right, if you're careful with the cover you should be ok.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
I've had the Amazon case for my K2 for almost a year and I love it. I've not had the cracking problem (knock on wood), but I'm careful not to open the back flap. It survived 6 months in the desert (military deployment) where it was either in my backpack or uniform cargo pocket.

The only problem I've noticed is that the front cover is starting to sag a little over the screen, but I'm beginning to suspect that this will happen with any cover that has an internal cardboard stiffener. I haven’t noticed any marks on the screen yet so I might be worried over nothing.

Overall, this has been a good cover; light, small, and offering good protection. I like it so much I ordered one for my new DX. Hopefully this helps.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
II then stumbled upon many posts on the Amazon site who had problems with the cover cracking their Kindles.

I'm very careful about not opening cover from the back and gently fold the front cover back when reading.
So long as you don't open it the wrong way, it's fine. Opening it the wrong way can leave the entire weight of the kindle hanging on the hinges in an awkward way, and no doubt can lead to cracking.

I added a strip of double-sided sticky tape to the inside back of the case, to hold the kindle firmly to the back of the case. So even if I'm clumsy I should have no problems. When/if I need to remove the Kindle from the case, the sticky tape might mark the case - it's strong sticky tape. But since it's an area of the case hidden by the Kindle, I'm not worried about that.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Since my wife and I have identical Kindles and original cases, I've tied a wide ribbon on the back cover of mine to make it easy to tell them apart, especially when we are traveling and carry both in the same backpack. That also makes it easier to "remember" which is the front and which is the back.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wow, I never heard of this issue and I am worried now. I just got my Kindle and it came with this case (bought it on Craiglist). Now I am thinking maybe I should get the m-edge with tabs on the corners, and I have seen similar ones on Etsy.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
There were only a few complaints and the people who had the problem were opening the cover wrong and forcing it open. You can avoid worrying about the problem by just using a small piece of velcro under the right side of the Kindle.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Mulder

I'll use the official Kindle cover from Amazon around the house--being extra careful not to open it from the back or put any undue stress on the hinges.

I ordered the Patagonia case which I'll use whenever I take the Kindle out of the house. The Patagonia provides more protection anyway.

Enjoying my Kindle..about to start my next read...
Old 01-27-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
A bit of common sense goes a long way... If it's difficult to open, maybe it's because it's the wrong way around... Hasn't this cover got something on the front, so it's identifiable as the front?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Is the Official Kindle 6" Leather Case Safe To Use?
Only with the optional, but highly recommended "Kindle Official Leather Case Safety Suit"

Without this Amazon cannot guarantee against the occasional severed limb, nor the unlikely but potential poked-out-eye.

Caveat emptor.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #13
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I have the belkin case and while its not all that flashy, it works well. It smells really bad at first, put let it sit outside for a day and the smell goes away.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #14
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

I got an email from Amazon informing about the cover concerns. It was polite and said I should let them know if I had any problems with cracking, etc. This was a while ago and I'm afraid I can't find the email anymore.

As a result, I got some of that sticky velcro and put some on the back cover and on my kindle. I AM the sort of guy who would open the cover from the wrong side, and since it never comes out of the cover, (except to show people who ask) the velcro is a nice insurance policy for me.
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
That's a nice gesture, and means that they know that a problem exists.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote