Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #106
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Does anybody know if the Boox will connect to an ad-hoc wifi hotspot, such as that generated by a cell-phone tethering app or a dedicated device such as the Myfi?
My device works fine at home, and at the coffee shop up the street. It won't connect in the hospital where I work as my other devices do, because it will not display the page they utilize to make people accept the usage terms. I assume it won't work at airport terminals that require the same thing.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #107
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenzGr View Post
Oooh, that would be truly awesome! Where can I vote for that?
We will be developing a wrapper for Python and/or Ruby.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #108
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi Luag, can I pls ask you whether the stylus is responsive - ie, for underlining or highlighting or use for general navigation? I sort of read in the forum or other reviews that say it's rather sluggish. thanks
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #109
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
It's alright for general navigation. Not so great for highlighting though.
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #110
kibje
from BooxUsers
kibje began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
Could somebody please check if the new firmware (1.2.2) supports DJVU format?
It didn't but there now is a newer 1.2.2 version available from a russian site which DOES have DjVu support.

Read more about it at this thread on booxusers.com
kibje is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #111
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibje View Post
It didn't but there now is a newer 1.2.2 version available from a russian site which DOES have DjVu support.

Read more about it at this thread on booxusers.com
Thank you kibje! Two weeks late for me I went with Astak; the DJVU support is awesome and that's pretty much all that matters to me. However I am still waiting for the Onyx's 9.7 series, if the DJVU support is as good as Tigran's code (or even better, I won't complain ) I'm always open to early upgrades Plus I could find some use for other cool features that Boox devices are plagued by
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #112
MeReader
MeReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Spare Battery for Boox 60

Question moved to more appropriate thread.

Regards.

Last edited by MeReader; 03-21-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Posted in more appropriate thread
MeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #113
mmanville
mmanville began at the beginning.

Device: none
Big Boox (9.7", 8") product ETAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
However I am still waiting for the Onyx's 9.7 series
I too am waiting for the 8" or 9.7" device. Based on lots of googling & you-tubing, my understanding (from last updates I could find, about 45 days ago), is that the 8" unit went from "out in a couple months" to "postponed indefinitely" (canceled?) and the 9.7" unit ETA has remained "around June."

My fear is that, once we get withing two months of June, we will suddenly learn the 9.7" unit will go from "coming soon" to "probably never coming" too. Can anyone give me any assurance this won't happen? I'd like to -- and am able to -- wait til June, or even July or August, for this device, but ... I'm not sure I can justify bothering, given what happened with the 8" unit. In other words, I'm not gonna wait if I don't have a lot of confidence it will actually show this summer.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
mmanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #114
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanville View Post
I too am waiting for the 8" or 9.7" device. Based on lots of googling & you-tubing, my understanding (from last updates I could find, about 45 days ago), is that the 8" unit went from "out in a couple months" to "postponed indefinitely" (canceled?) and the 9.7" unit ETA has remained "around June."

My fear is that, once we get withing two months of June, we will suddenly learn the 9.7" unit will go from "coming soon" to "probably never coming" too. Can anyone give me any assurance this won't happen? I'd like to -- and am able to -- wait til June, or even July or August, for this device, but ... I'm not sure I can justify bothering, given what happened with the 8" unit. In other words, I'm not gonna wait if I don't have a lot of confidence it will actually show this summer.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
I played the waiting game for about 6 months. Then I decided to get a Nook and give it to my wife or sell it on eBay when something better comes out. That was about a month ago. Now, I have fallen in love with my Nook. Just sayin'.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #115
AlexKidd
Enthusiast
AlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox 60, Onyx Boox Max Carta, Wexler Flex One
I am sorry for the resurrection of this thread. But this is the best place to do the question about an older post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
We will be developing a wrapper for Python and/or Ruby.
Any news on the wrapper for Ruby language?
AlexKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #116
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Oooh, very interesting they had plans for a Python wrapper. Onyx, if you read this: I got a working PyQt for your M92's firmware and I even got some of your onyx/* libs wrapped with SIP. Feel free to contribute! I would really appreciate that!
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #117
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I have been complaining about poor/missing scribbling functions in the X60 (no file rename, no file name search, buggy export), preventing me from using it to take handwritten meeting notes at work.

I have found a workaround which I would like to share with anyone interested:

1. Write.
Use the Scribble function to take notes. If you need more than one page, use the Next page button to open a new blank page.

2. Export.
a. When the meeting/class is over, use the Export function to export the last page (Menu - Tools - Export). When prompted for a title, simply enter the page number (if you're exporting page 3, enter 3 for title - if you have 10 or more pages, use a leading zero for single-digit numbers, e.g. 03).
b. Delete the scribble page you have just exported. This will take you to the previous page - now export this page, entering the appropriate page number for title.
c. Repeat this step until all pages are exported.

3. Rename.
Go to folder SD card - Notes, and select the folder with the appropriate name (Scribble #) that was created automatically when you exported your scribbles. Rename it as you like (I use "yyyy mm dd" followed by the meeting topic and keywords).

4. Enjoy.
a. You can now search for this folder (=meeting) using the keywords in the folder name. By default, the folders are sorted by title, so if you use the “yyyy mm dd” format I suggested above, your folders will be sorted chronologically.
b. If you open the folder, you will see your exported pages as 1.png, 2.png, etc. Nice thing is, even though the pages are all separate png files, you can flip through them as if they were appended together: just open the first one, and press the right arrow button to go to the next one.
c. If you want to have a backup copy (always a good idea), or to share your notes, the folders will be visible when you connect your device to a computer.

Conclusion: using this method, the Onyx Boox X60 is usable for taking handwritten notes in a school or office setting. I just wish the pages of one scribble could be exported in one step… Better yet, if it was possible to rename, search and export (to a pc) the scribbles themselves, it would not even be necessary to export them to png at all… This is exactly how my ASUS EeeNote EA-800 works, so I will stick with it for now – even though I am attracted by the high-contrast e-ink screen of the Boox.

Any related handwriting experiences with Onyx, PocketBook, Hanvon, Sony, or other e-readers?
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx