Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-21-2016, 03:37 AM   #106
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)

While that also happens last I checked on Linux...

Relying on undocumented behavior like that is kind of stupid.

The ZIP spec says nothing about "doing the smart thing" and not compressing files which would end up larger. So why rely on something you cannot guarantee?
Especially in a scripted process, when you don't even have to worry about the unbearable burden of typing two commands instead of one...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #107
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Hi all,

From a few days ago every time I launch ePub Zip/Unzip I get a message that says "The application is not open"; in the message appears a refference to the error, I suppose: (-600). The normal operation is aborted from that point, of course.

I'm running Sierra 10.12.3 on a MacBook Pro 2011. Although I've found a way to pack an unpacked ePub through command line (zip command), I was very happy using ePub Zip/Unzip, so I'd be very grateful to find any help to keep doing that.

TIA
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #108
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
Hi all,

From a few days ago every time I launch ePub Zip/Unzip I get a message that says "The application is not open"; in the message appears a refference to the error, I suppose: (-600). The normal operation is aborted from that point, of course.

I'm running Sierra 10.12.3 on a MacBook Pro 2011. Although I've found a way to pack an unpacked ePub through command line (zip command), I was very happy using ePub Zip/Unzip, so I'd be very grateful to find any help to keep doing that.

TIA
Open Script Editor. Open the application from the Script Editor's file menu. Export as an Application with a new name, and with the "Show startup screen" check box unchecked. That will probably do the trick.

(I'm guessing it's that the Applescript binary inside the app is a little old for your system. Or else it's a permissions thing.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #109
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Open Script Editor. Open the application from the Script Editor's file menu. Export as an Application with a new name, and with the "Show startup screen" check box unchecked. That will probably do the trick.

(I'm guessing it's that the Applescript binary inside the app is a little old for your system. Or else it's a permissions thing.)
Nope: appears the same error.

On the other hand, I've confirmed that it is not a permissions-related thing: both the app and ePub file can be read/written by anyone in my computer.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:00 AM   #110
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How strange. I'll see if I can reproduce it.
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 06:06 AM   #111
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Hi all,

If this is of help, Apprentice Alf & Apprentice Harper's app (6.5.2) also exhibits the same behaviour that ePub Zip/Unzip.
(I'm starting to believe that a bad nightmare has arrived)
Old 03-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #112
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Tried version 2.1.1.app. Tried dragging a folder on it but it can back with the "UnIdentified Developer" message. So I use a right mouse click and open to override that nonsense to run ePubZip/Unzip and then cancelled out after it successfully launched.

I was then able to drag and drop folders on it and it worked perfectly.

This is with Sierra 10.12.2 on my Desktop Mac. I will update to 10.12.3 and try again with a fresh download.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #113
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW: Does the Applescript require anything from XCode to launch?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #114
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW, I updated to 10.12.3 and downloaded a fresh copy (this time of version 3.0) and tried to launch it but got the "Unidentified Developer" message. Then right clicked on it, selected Open and then hit the Open button when asked if I was sure and then cancelled out after a successful launch.

Had no trouble then dragging and dropping folders to create epubs. It all works for me but I have full XCode and Command Line Tools installed where-as many other users will not.

-- ps

It seems Sierra will prevent any zip dmg, or application from running from the "Download" folder as part of its Sierra Gatekeeper Improvement. You have to manually move the zip/dmg/etc out of the Download folder using Finder (manually - not by command line or script or any other way).

Until you do that, Gatekeeper does the equivalent of copying it to a randomized path location that is effectively a read-only/locked dmg image before running it. This breaks most installers and many programs as they can not find their resources. It will keep doing that until you manually (using the Finder) drag the zip/dmg/executable out of Downloads. There is probably an extended attribute you can delete but I am not sure about that.

Perhaps this is what is going on? People did not use the finder to move the zip our of the Downloads or tried some other programmical way to move it) and are now stuck with versions that will not work.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-09-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #115
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FWIW, I updated to 10.12.3 and downloaded a fresh copy (this time of version 3.0) and tried to launch it but got the "Unidentified Developer" message. Then right clicked on it, selected Open and then hit the Open button when asked if I was sure and then cancelled out after a successful launch.

Had no trouble then dragging and dropping folders to create epubs. It all works for me but I have full XCode and Command Line Tools installed where-as many other users will not.

-- ps

It seems Sierra will prevent any zip dmg, or application from running from the "Download" folder as part of its Sierra Gatekeeper Improvement. You have to manually move the zip/dmg/etc out of the Download folder using Finder (manually - not by command line or script or any other way).

Until you do that, Gatekeeper does the equivalent of copying it to a randomized path location that is effectively a read-only/locked dmg image before running it. This breaks most installers and many programs as they can not find their resources. It will keep doing that until you manually (using the Finder) drag the zip/dmg/executable out of Downloads. There is probably an extended attribute you can delete but I am not sure about that.

Perhaps this is what is going on? People did not use the finder to move the zip our of the Downloads or tried some other programmical way to move it) and are now stuck with versions that will not work.
Hi,
I'm not getting such a message. It says, in a fast translation from Spanish to English: "The app is not open" "System Events has detected an error: The application is not open (-600)". And there is two buttons, one to "Edit", the other to select "OK". No more, no less.
In addition, I must say that I don't run any app from the Downloads folder.

Thank you. I'll keep on searching.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:02 AM   #116
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
Hi all,

If this is of help, Apprentice Alf & Apprentice Harper's app (6.5.2) also exhibits the same behaviour that ePub Zip/Unzip.
(I'm starting to believe that a bad nightmare has arrived)
Yes. And I woke up and saw that it was -only- a nightmare.
Both apps (ePub Zip/Unzip & Apprentices') run smoothly again. I only have to erase any trace of the apps in my system, redownload both, and (this important, apparently) unzip the archives with the built-in Mac unzip utility.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #117
llis
cleaner
llis began at the beginning.

Device: epub
I found this script from a link elsewhere, and just used version 3 on my Mac (Mojave). Downloaded it, unzipped it, moved the app to Applications, added it to my dock, and now when I drag an ePub to the dock icon, the app converts it to an iBooks package recognized by iBooks so I can proof on it. Easy peasy. THANK YOU!
llis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #118
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
ePub Zip/Unzip is indeed a fabulous little AppleScript. Thanks as always to The Grand Mouse @pdurrant.

I was wondering if there's an easy way to convert this (and other applets) from 32-bit to 64-bit since Mojave is reportedly the last macOS to support 32-bit apps.

I managed to do it in a rather circuitous way via trial and error (I'm pretty clueless when it comes to AppleScript):
  • Open ePub Zip/Unzip in Script Editor
  • Export as Script Bundle
  • Open Script Bundle in Script Editor
  • Export as Application

This seems to work, but I'm wondering: Is there a better or easier way to convert an AppleScript from 32-bit to 64-bit? (I'm still on High Sierra, if that makes a difference.)

Muchas gracias
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #119
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've added a 64-bit version to the first post.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #120
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've added a 64-bit version to the first post.
Thank you! Are the instructions for converting 32-bit to 64-bit simple enough to post? I would really like to learn how to do this as I have some other applets I was hoping to convert. (My googling attempts only got me as far as the above method, which seems to work but I suspect it's not a best practice.)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote