Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The e-book challenge: Sony Reader PRS-700 takes on Amazon's Kindle 2

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&source=NLT_AM

Computerworld article with an interesting subject.

Quote:
a lot of readers have adopted the Kindle with great enthusiasm. For example, a friend of mine, a teacher with a well-stocked library of texts and reference books -- and a small apartment -- has already gotten rid of most of his fiction collection, happily determined to read all his novels through the Kindle. I'm sure he's not the only one.

But the Kindle isn't the only e-book reader out there. Prominent among its rivals is the Sony Reader. The latest version, the Sony Reader PRS-700, was recently released and also offers an e-paper display. While it doesn't boast a 3G connection, it does have backlighting and a touch screen.

Both of these e-book readers cost around the same -- as of this writing, the Kindle 2 cost $359, and the Sony Reader PRS-700 was priced at $350 -- and both have their advantages and disadvantages. In order to find out which one suited which readers, I tried out both.
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I almost bought the Sony but the screen and its contrast turned me off to it... so I got the Kindle
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It hardly seems fair that he dinged the Sony for not being able to get Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policemen's Union. You can't get that for the Kindle, either.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I'd say Sony is going to give Amazon a hell of a fight. They know how to take over a market over time.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
I'd say Sony is going to give Amazon a hell of a fight. They know how to take over a market over time.
I have to say (whether you are serious or not) they are doing a damn good job considering the small amount of marketing they do for the device. They got the device in a major bookstore, advertized in major cities (where there are tons of commuters), and have been advertizing on reading blogs. Low level but high impact stuff.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
interesting comparison ; i like that the reviewer seems to manage to avoid the hype and gives a very straightforward review.

while the sony / amazon dichotomy is an obvious one actually there are quite a lot of upcoming devices which look great. i think actually it's better to have choices ; the more there are the better it is for ebooks in general and i'm happy to see more and more people discovering ebooks.

(oh, and it was great to see feedbooks mentioned. now somebody just needs to tell that guy about calibre. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes; also tell him that the screen's not backlit. You cannot backlight e-ink - it's opaque.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think that both devices in general are going to face steep competition. There is a lot of great hardware on the way, and I think these devices are only going to continue improving.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Actually, Sony has been struggling the past couple of years. They're forecasting a FY2009 loss of over 2 billion dollars, and their Playstation is getting hammered by the Wii and Xbox. I hope they make it through these tough times because I really like their products.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Actually, Sony has been struggling the past couple of years. They're forecasting a FY2009 loss of over 2 billion dollars, and their Playstation is getting hammered by the Wii and Xbox. I hope they make it through these tough times because I really like their products.
A Sony exec in France was kidnapped (Zelda? ) after a big layoff.

Quote:
Worldwide Sony is struggling to survive with tens of thousands of employees being laid off, factories being shut as consumers desert the brand.

In Australia where Sony have a PR team four times larger than any other major consumer electronics Company the Company has refused to comment on not only the sacking of staff in Australia but security measures surrounding Sony executives in Australia.
All this while Amazon stock is growing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
A Sony exec in France was kidnapped (Zelda? ) after a big layoff.

All this while Amazon stock is growing.
Not really. They're down to 71.44 per share from a 52 week high of 91.75. Although they bounced back from a 52 week low of 34.68.

Even though Sony as a company is having a hard time (but most are right now), my point is the 505 is doing fairly well.

And for fun, Sony's stock info:
20.75 -1.52 (-6.83%)
Mar 30 - Close
Open 21.23 High 22.27
Prev close - Low 20.49

52wk high 52.36 Vol 2.49M
52wk low 15.64 Avg vol 2.31M

Mkt cap 20.82B Dividend 0.21
P/E ratio 22.53 Beta 1.45

Shares 1.00B Div yield 2.05
EPS 0.92 Inst own 12%
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sony is doing well, to me, despite being up against the 800 lb gorilla of book sales. The Kindle has public awareness. Sony's readers do not. That's my experience in the wild. I get asked, "is that one of those Kindles?" frequently when spotted reading my Sony.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't think it made enough of the content question. Sony reader is a nice piece of tech, but who cares if you can't get the books you want?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I don't think it made enough of the content question. Sony reader is a nice piece of tech, but who cares if you can't get the books you want?
Gideon, do you know if there are books that most people might be interested in that are only available for the Kindle, as opposed to being available in a format that is either readable by the Sony or convertible to a Sony-readable format? (Not talking about price or comparing Sony store numbers to Kindle store numbers, just availability in the ebook marketplace.)

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that there are very few books that can only be read on a Kindle. I understand that more books, in raw numbers, are available at the Kindle store than at the Sony store, but for my buying, at least half of all the ebooks I have bought have been from somewhere other than the Sony store.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The only books I've noticed that I couldn't get elsewhere were .tpz books but then they're usually the only ones I try to find elsewhere.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote