Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
sfrey
sfrey began at the beginning.

Device: none
For to Keep?

Hi there, I wanted some outside perspectives on whether to return my Cybook before my trial 2 weeks run out. i chose this model for the mix of price and ability to read txt, html and pdf (specifically scanned image based documents). i haven't read a single conventional ebook on it and don't really plan to, and I had no interest in net connectivity. I've got all of my student reading on it and, even though it has only been a week, it has been incredibly convenient to have around, my backpack is atleast five times lighter.

But there are some downsides and I have about a week to decide if I'm going to keep it. The price is high enough that I was already right on the edge of buying it, and there is one concern threatening to push me into a return: support.

Even though this is Gen3, I feel like an early adopter. It crashes about once a day, has no directory support (awkward!), the pdf support is enough for me, but could be much better, along with other interface features (like bookmarks) that are awfully clunky and slow.

Now if I can expect them to improve over time, then none of these things are deal breakers for me right now. Hence my big apprehension; It looks like there hasn't been a firmware update for almost a year. If I can't expect support, expecially after they release their next model and start to obsolete this one, than I don't know if it is worth keeping. But I don't know their plan for supporting older products or their timeline for the new one, and I don't know if they are devoting any developers to this release (or previous ones, was there a Gen1 or Gen2? Are they currently supported?) What do you folks know and what do you think I should do?
sfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, sfrey, and I'm sure you'll find the needed info and friendly people to advise here.

In the meantime, won't you please take part in our "What Country Are You From" poll?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37241
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Previous public firmware release was 1.2 build 796 on 5 September 2008. So it's been nearly five months since the last firmware upgrade.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cybo...mware_Versions

The next version of the firmware should be out 'soon'. My guess would be sometime in February, but that's only a guess, and my track record isn't great. :-) (I thought it would be out before the end of 2008.)

The next firmware update should certainly bring folder support, and hopefully many other improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrey View Post
Now if I can expect them to improve over time, then none of these things are deal breakers for me right now. Hence my big apprehension; It looks like there hasn't been a firmware update for almost a year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
So what are your expectations in regards to ongoing support? Are you looking for support for problems or enhancements to the existing system?

I've used the Cybook for the last year and have been disappointed at how slow Bookeen has been in regards to firmware updates, but the truth is the Cybook works fine for its intended purpose. If I had never visited this forum and not been exposed to others' expectations I'm not sure I would be so disappointed. I have not experienced any significant performance issues, but there are some ongoing blips that pop up from time that are annoying but not enough to make me regret my choice of the Cybook.

When I compare the Cybook's performance to that of my computer or my pocket pc, the Cybook seems to be fairly primitive. In the beginning I had to keep reminding myself that the Cybook is really nothing more than a book reader...and that's really all I wanted when I got it.

If you spend much time here, you'll see that all the eInk devices that are discussed here come with their own set of issues. The eInk technology is quite new and in many ways we are all early adopters of this new technology. If you return the Cybook and get another eInk device, I am not sure your experience will be much different.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 01-29-2009 at 06:14 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If I was going to buy something now I would by a Bebook. It seems that the OpenInkpot firmware for the Bebook have much better pdf support then the Gen3 for example. And development happens withe the standard firmware also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
sfrey
sfrey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tompe, the bebook actually looks pretty good, I wonder how I never noticed it before. and they have a Jan 09 firmware release well advertised up front. Ill look more into it. Any reason to hope that it might also have faster refresh than the Cybook? Is that the kind of thing that specs quantify? How do I compare that kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
So what are your expectations in regards to ongoing support? Are you looking for support for problems or enhancements to the existing system?
Both, mainly I just want to know that I won't end up with a forgotten dinosaur, but also that something significantly better won't come out for the same price in the next 3 months. Also, it seems that as much of the utility of the reader is determined by the software (which can be improved) as by the hardware (which is static) so a regularly updated firmware assures some degree of easy Joneses-keeping-up-with without having to dish out more money, which is a factor.

Thanks for your replies.
sfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
...Any reason to hope that it might also have faster refresh than the Cybook? Is that the kind of thing that specs quantify? How do I compare that kind of thing.
AFAIK, all current Vizplex screens are same. Only controllers differ. And software, of course.

Refresh rate, from what I saw, is almost the same all over the current ebook market. The only thing I noticed is my CyB being more sluggish with pdf files, especially big and/or complex.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #8
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I have never, ever, regreted my decision to go for the Cybook. On the contrary: I still find it the more balanced e-reader out there. It works fine (it crashes very few times now, under build 802 - the one I got after I sent it to repair due to a SD card problem), and it is an wonderfull e-book reader - but then, that's all I really want it to be, an eBOOK reader...

And also think you will not find anything on the market substancially diferent from the Cybook - only, I repeat, a little bit worst...
You should consider that PDF is just a terrible format to any relatively small screen.

I understand, however, you concern about firmware upgrades and support.

As far as I can tell, Bookeen as always been very supporting and responsive to my requests (again, my Cybook had a SD card problem, and it was replace in a few days).

I also expect a firmware upgrade in a few weeks (maybe even days...). But then, I am an optimist guy...
Anyway, it WILL come. And it WILL be a major firmware upgrade (please, don't flame me if it isn't...)

Regards
Nelson
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both, mainly I just want to know that I won't end up with a forgotten dinosaur, but also that something significantly better won't come out for the same price in the next 3 months. Also, it seems that as much of the utility of the reader is determined by the software (which can be improved) as by the hardware (which is static) so a regularly updated firmware assures some degree of easy Joneses-keeping-up-with without having to dish out more money, which is a factor.
I was thinking about buying a Bebook since I am seriously annoyed about the short battery time and the lack of page numbers on the Cybook. But now I think I will wait for the txtr reader since they seems to have done everything I care about exactly right (SDK available so you can get a user community that writes programs for the device, net connectivity, and so on).
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I was thinking about buying a Bebook since I am seriously annoyed about the short battery time and the lack of page numbers on the Cybook.
Grin...you have to admit that that is caused by your 'non standard' way of reading. You keep it running all the time because you don't want to wait 30-40 seconds. I switch it on, grab a glass of wine and start reading. I switch it off when I go to sleep and my main problem is that I forget to charge it because it is needed only once every two weeks.

And page numbers are a matter of personal preferences. You know I couldn't care less. But I know, some people want them. For me it is something from the past, only usefull if you actually have pages. Go even further back and there were no page numbers on script rolls.

Last edited by Ortep; 01-30-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I've never had significant problems with my CyBook; the battery life is OK with me (I've actually never gone to the end of it yet); it does crash sometimes but a reset puts it back on line, I find it easy to buy & load books, I don't find it esasy to load pdf etc... and it's (in France) still the cheaper machine...
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I was thinking about buying a Bebook since I am seriously annoyed about the short battery time
I'm completely satisifed about the battery time on my Cybook, but maybe it is because we have a different use.
Have you turned off auto-shutdown and so keep it on at all times ?

EDIT :
Ok, I got my positive reply from Ortep.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
If I was going to buy something now I would by a Bebook. It seems that the OpenInkpot firmware for the Bebook have much better pdf support then the Gen3 for example. And development happens withe the standard firmware also.
I agree with tompe, except that I have an EZ Reader (the USA version of the Hanlin V3 - same a BeBook). I am using OpenInkPot. It is very stable and has several features not currently available with original firmware.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Grin...you have to admit that that is caused by your 'non standard' way of reading. You keep it running all the time because you don't want to wait 30-40 seconds. I switch it on, grab a glass of wine and start reading. I switch it off when I go to sleep and my main problem is that I forget to charge it because it is needed only once every two weeks.
Some of us always carry a book and read when we wait for buses or in queues. It is pretty common and if you do that you cannot accept a long boot time.

Quote:
And page numbers are a matter of personal preferences. You know I couldn't care less. But I know, some people want them. For me it is something from the past, only usefull if you actually have pages. Go even further back and there were no page numbers on script rolls.
Once again. It is the sense of how much you have read of the total and having a numerical value that is important. And for a scroll you know the total length so you have much more information then you have from the Cybook.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
my cybook has never crashed at all in 7 months of use. perhaps there's something wrong with yours?

do you have to use bookmarks? any book you're reading opens right to where you left off...

btw, perhaps there is an existing firmware better for your needs than the one your cybook is presently reading. each firmware seems to have different traits, from what i've read.

Quote:
Hi there, I wanted some outside perspectives on whether to return my Cybook before my trial 2 weeks run out. i chose this model for the mix of price and ability to read txt, html and pdf (specifically scanned image based documents). i haven't read a single conventional ebook on it and don't really plan to, and I had no interest in net connectivity. I've got all of my student reading on it and, even though it has only been a week, it has been incredibly convenient to have around, my backpack is atleast five times lighter.

But there are some downsides and I have about a week to decide if I'm going to keep it. The price is high enough that I was already right on the edge of buying it, and there is one concern threatening to push me into a return: support.

Even though this is Gen3, I feel like an early adopter. It crashes about once a day, has no directory support (awkward!), the pdf support is enough for me, but could be much better, along with other interface features (like bookmarks) that are awfully clunky and slow.

Now if I can expect them to improve over time, then none of these things are deal breakers for me right now. Hence my big apprehension; It looks like there hasn't been a firmware update for almost a year. If I can't expect support, expecially after they release their next model and start to obsolete this one, than I don't know if it is worth keeping. But I don't know their plan for supporting older products or their timeline for the new one, and I don't know if they are devoting any developers to this release (or previous ones, was there a Gen1 or Gen2? Are they currently supported?) What do you folks know and what do you think I should do?

Last edited by basschick; 02-01-2009 at 06:41 PM.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote